Williams sees improvement, preps for VT

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Following Wednesday’s drills, Hurricanes’ QB Jarren Williams echoed his head coach’s sentiments about the general improvement in practice play this week.

“We had a really great day yesterday,” Williams said. “Today, at times it was a little sluggish, but we started to pick it up throughout the practice. We know we have to prepare.”

With the Virginia Tech Hokies set to come to Hard Rock Stadium this Saturday, Williams is expecting the unexpected from Bud Foster’s defense.

“We have to bring our best,” Williams said. “Virginia Tech, they just got off a loss at home so they’ll come with their ‘A’ game, we have to come with ours. They’re going to come with everything they’ve got. We have to do what we’re coached to do, execute the plays.”

Now that he is healthy, there’s been a lot of talk about Lorenzo Lingard and his potential return to the field. Miami was unable to work in the sophomore running back against Central Michigan in their last game, and Williams has preached patience to Lingard in waiting for his opportunity.

“He’s very talented - he’s worked his butt off to this point,” Williams said of Lingard. “I told him `Don’t stop working.’ I see a bright future for him, want him to stay positive and keep working. He can really be special. I feel like it’s all (about) timing, you can’t rush it.”

Of LT Zion Nelson, who has struggled at times this season, Williams said the pair are working more on getting on the same page in terms of the snap count.

“He’s very capable of making his blocks every day,” Williams said of Nelson. “But sometimes I feel he doesn’t hear the cadence or the ball snaps, he stands there, didn’t know the snap. He’s been doing a lot better at that. We’re focusing on timing it better.”

Another thing Williams has been working more on during the bye has been taking off and running when a throw isn’t there.

“I can definitely use my legs,” he said. “To keep a defense honest, use my feet, show I can run so they don’t just drop eight.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a bad idea. Or maybe just implant him with a device that shocks him when the ball is snapped. Sorta like a cattle prod.
Best idea yet for this o-line. Our line was so use to going on the third clap last year we cant get off on time this year. Trouble with the claps is both teams get off at the same time if we always go on the third clap. For some reason this year the defense seems to know the snap count and gets off before we do.

Advertisement
Best idea yet for this o-line. Our line was so use to going on the third clap last year we cant get off on time this year.

This literally doesn't apply to 2 of our starting lineman since they are true freshman.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Following Wednesday’s drills, Hurricanes’ QB Jarren Williams echoed his head coach’s sentiments about the general improvement in practice play this week.

“We had a really great day yesterday,” Williams said. “Today, at times it was a little sluggish, but we started to pick it up throughout the practice. We know we have to prepare.”

With the Virginia Tech Hokies set to come to Hard Rock Stadium this Saturday, Williams is expecting the unexpected from Bud Foster’s defense.

“We have to bring our best,” Williams said. “Virginia Tech, they just got off a loss at home so they’ll come with their ‘A’ game, we have to come with ours. They’re going to come with everything they’ve got. We have to do what we’re coached to do, execute the plays.”

Now that he is healthy, there’s been a lot of talk about Lorenzo Lingard and his potential return to the field. Miami was unable to work in the sophomore running back against Central Michigan in their last game, and Williams has preached patience to Lingard in waiting for his opportunity.

“He’s very talented - he’s worked his butt off to this point,” Williams said of Lingard. “I told him `Don’t stop working.’ I see a bright future for him, want him to stay positive and keep working. He can really be special. I feel like it’s all (about) timing, you can’t rush it.”

Of LT Zion Nelson, who has struggled at times this season, Williams said the pair are working more on getting on the same page in terms of the snap count.

“He’s very capable of making his blocks every day,” Williams said of Nelson. “But sometimes I feel he doesn’t hear the cadence or the ball snaps, he stands there, didn’t know the snap. He’s been doing a lot better at that. We’re focusing on timing it better.”

Another thing Williams has been working more on during the bye has been taking off and running when a throw isn’t there.

“I can definitely use my legs,” he said. “To keep a defense honest, use my feet, show I can run so they don’t just drop eight.”

About the kid running for his life. LOL He's said that after the last two games. But maybe I missed him running for his life. Nevertheless, I think CORCH Eno's has told him to stay in the pocket and TAKE THE ABUSE and what not.:ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

So you don't watch the games then. Every sack he has allowed or pressure has been him coming off the ball late. Had nothing to do with footwork or being pushed like he was on skates.

Yep.

You can tell he's thinking way too much still. Imo that will go away as the season progresses.

Advertisement
Back