Williams discusses FIU pass defense, preparing to play at the old Orange Bowl site

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After Wednesday’s drills, Miami QB Jarren Williams discussed what it would take to beat FIU’s pass defense, which comes into the game this week ranked 13th in the country.

“From play-to-play, really just attention to detail and understanding what coverage they give us and what to take,” Williams said. “They’re a very talented team. They have a secondary that disguises things pretty well. Up front too they’re very physical. They play fast. We just have to come out and play Miami football... No matter who the opponent is, we can’t take them lightly, we’ve got to set the bar every week.”

Of course, Williams is coming off an all-time game after breaking the Miami single-game TD record with 6 against Louisville. How can he follow that up?

“The goal is score every drive, that’s the mindset we have,” Williams said. “Our job is to put up points. That’s the goal.”

OC Dan Enos gave Williams some praise on Monday for taking the next step in his game, but said Williams still has other levels he can reach when it comes to playing QB.

“That comes with watching a lot of film, really just understanding the offense, the ins and the outs,” Williams said. “Just mastering it and understanding where everything is, and where to go with the ball vs. different looks. I feel every category (can improve) - I just have to continue every practice with my drops, reads, command, every day try to be perfect in every category.”

When asked who was standing out on the scout team, Williams pointed to freshmen DT Jalar Holley and DE Cameron Williams as those that have made an impression.

“We have tons of young guys that have been working really hard, they’re buying-in… showing flashes,” Williams said.

The Canes will play FIU this week at Marlins Park, the site of the old Orange Bowl where some of UM’s best teams played their home games. Although he grew up in Georgia, Williams said he always knew about the Orange Bowl’s history from following college football closely.

“That’s sacred ground, it means a lot to us just growing up watching, envisioning us playing on that field,” Williams said. “Some big-time players stepped foot on that field. It means a lot.”

Advertisement
After Wednesday’s drills, Miami QB Jarren Williams discussed what it would take to beat FIU’s pass defense, which comes into the game this week ranked 13th in the country.

“From play-to-play, really just attention to detail and understanding what coverage they give us and what to take,” Williams said. “They’re a very talented team. They have a secondary that disguises things pretty well. Up front too they’re very physical. They play fast. We just have to come out and play Miami football... No matter who the opponent is, we can’t take them lightly, we’ve got to set the bar every week.”

Of course, Williams is coming off an all-time game after breaking the Miami single-game TD record with 6 against Louisville. How can he follow that up?

“The goal is score every drive, that’s the mindset we have,” Williams said. “Our job is to put up points. That’s the goal.”

OC Dan Enos gave Williams some praise on Monday for taking the next step in his game, but said Williams still has other levels he can reach when it comes to playing QB.

“That comes with watching a lot of film, really just understanding the offense, the ins and the outs,” Williams said. “Just mastering it and understanding where everything is, and where to go with the ball vs. different looks. I feel every category (can improve) - I just have to continue every practice with my drops, reads, command, every day try to be perfect in every category.”

When asked who was standing out on the scout team, Williams pointed to freshmen DT Jalar Holley and DE Cameron Williams as those that have made an impression.

“We have tons of young guys that have been working really hard, they’re buying-in… showing flashes,” Williams said.

The Canes will play FIU this week at Marlins Park, the site of the old Orange Bowl where some of UM’s best teams played their home games. Although he grew up in Georgia, Williams said he always knew about the Orange Bowl’s history from following college football closely.

“That’s sacred ground, it means a lot to us just growing up watching, envisioning us playing on that field,” Williams said. “Some big-time players stepped foot on that field. It means a lot.”
Thank you for the update Stefan!

Advertisement
All we want is for this team to play like it's capable to play.hope there's no regression and it keeps the momentum going and just win.

Advertisement
Back