Will New U President set right course?

I think it's safe to say that Donna, was a good academic and administrative type, had absolutely no knowledge of sports, let alone how and what it took to compete on a level befitting The U and modern day college football. Let's not dwell on that fact.

Do you think the new President understands how to administer big time college sports and what it will take to resurrect The U to football elite?

Advertisement
I doubt the guy who probably thinks of football as being played with a round ball will have any influence or knowledge of what it will take to put a winning product on the field. Nor does he have to. Just sign the checks, stay the *** away and let the football people do their jobs.

Last edited:
Do you think the new President understands how to administer big time college sports and what it will take to resurrect The U to football elite?

He has zero clue. He doesn't need to. All he needs to do is let the athletic department and coaches do their job, and hold the AD responsible for all of it, especially results and performance. His area of expertise is more on the medical end and public health. I only want him to demand maximum effort, excellence and results.

Advertisement
Its an important strategic question, but I doubt he feels any pressure (real or imagined) towards a successful athletics program. What keeps HIS job? Overall fundraising, research prestige, the health sciences school (UM's real crown jewel), and representing the University in a manner "befitting" a President leading a Top 40-50 (and rising fast) school.

He doesn't make football decisions, he has input into Department Chair and Athletic Director hires/fires. They, in turn, hire their staff to work amd run the respective scopes. Remember, Richt reports to Blake, not vice versa.

Frenk reports to the BOT and was clearly hired (away from prestigious Department Chair role at HARVARD) to propel UM into the Top 30-40 rankings (or higher). That is no easy task for sure...but it HAS ZERO CONNECTION to atheltics. ZERO.

Don't kid yourselves...Shalala HAD NOTHING to do with Miami's football descent anymore than she had to do with Miami's Basketball ascent. The AD runs that leg and it's fairly disconnected from the Academic, unless their is a scandal that forces the President to act.

The same can and should be said for Frenk.

That's just it. He needs to give them the green light to do what they need to do, not be a control freak obstructionist.

He has zero clue. He doesn't need to. All he needs to do is let the athletic department and coaches do their job, and hold the AD responsible for all of it, especially results and performance. His area of expertise is more on the medical end and public health. I only want him to demand maximum effort, excellence and results.

Sports are a component of a University. Larger components or lesser components in different universities - but a component none the less.

I think he has a pretty good idea how important football is to UM and to UM fans.

He'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to have not seen the ****-raising last season against Golden.

Its an important strategic question, but I doubt he feels any pressure (real or imagined) towards a successful athletics program. What keeps HIS job? Overall fundraising, research prestige, the health sciences school (UM's real crown jewel), and representing the University in a manner "befitting" a President leading a Top 40-50 (and rising fast) school.

He doesn't make football decisions, he has input into Department Chair and Athletic Director hires/fires. They, in turn, hire their staff to work amd run the respective scopes. Remember, Richt reports to Blake, not vice versa.

Frenk reports to the BOT and was clearly hired (away from prestigious Department Chair role at HARVARD) to propel UM into the Top 30-40 rankings (or higher). That is no easy task for sure...but it HAS ZERO CONNECTION to atheltics. ZERO.

Don't kid yourselves...Shalala HAD NOTHING to do with Miami's football descent anymore than she had to do with Miami's Basketball ascent. The AD runs that leg and it's fairly disconnected from the Academic, unless their is a scandal that forces the President to act.

b.s.

that creature from middle earth destroyed the football program. she was worse than any sanction the ncaa could conjure up.

Advertisement
Shalala viewed it as her liberal mission to destroy the "violent" game of football at Miami. Anyone would be better then that *****.

Just to set the record straight, Lala was a big Wisky fan and Frenk was a Wolverine fan but admittingly knows much more about futbol. .... now please don't murder the messenger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It has already been documented that Shalala wouldn't allow donations to go towards athletics. Frenk has stated many times that he wants to win in athletics. Does it determine his job? No. However, it boosts the image of your school and brings in great income. It's not coincidence that the football team went down as soon as she was hired and finally took the right steps once she was gone. You think hiring coordinators for chump change like Shannon was a talent decision? She crippled this program but the witch is dead and it shows with the 4 million the new coach is receiving.

Wow some of you need to do your research before spouting off about Frenk, give the man a chance first before ya'll go in on him.

You all forget Frenk's support of the team during last season.
https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/frenk-****-haters/92924?highlight=Julio+frenk

He is a Football fan, he earned his doctorate from U of Mich an while there attended a lot of home football game. He has said he wants both great academics and athletics at Miami an that he hates losing.

Link to article
New president Julio Frenk set to meet with UM coaches - Sun Sentinel

.....So while Frenk answered questions Monday about Miami’s medical school and the importance he places on STEM research, he was also asked about his own athletic background, his familiarity with Miami’s football history and his thoughts on the impact athletics can have on a university.

And Mexico’s former Minister of Health, who said he got most of his introduction to football while studying for his doctorate at Michigan, reiterated more than once that he believes athletics are a key part of life on campus.

“I will say that I see athletics as an integral part of a comprehensive education. To me, it is part of the educational experience of our students and I value that part of the educational experience,” Frenk said. “I look forward to understanding better and talking with many of the key players, in more than one sense of the word. … I enjoy football very much, having studied at the University of Michigan. I was there five years because I did a PhD so I moved closer and closer to the 50-yard-line. … It is a game I enjoyed very much and it’s part of my respect to the University and my conviction that this is a key part of a comprehensive education that I look very much forward to that part of my new job starting on Sept. 1.”

Last edited:
Advertisement

b.s.

that creature from middle earth destroyed the football program. she was worse than any sanction the ncaa could conjure up.

I bout died.....

b.s.

By no means am I Shalala defender, but she was actually a fairt decent President of the University wrt to the rapid rise in overall rankings (i.e prestige and ability to attract higher quality students).

Any evidence how she destroyed the AD? Or Football?

It has already been documented that Shalala wouldn't allow donations to go towards athletics. Frenk has stated many times that he wants to win in athletics. Does it determine his job? No. However, it boosts the image of your school and brings in great income. It's not coincidence that the football team went down as soon as she was hired and finally took the right steps once she was gone. You think hiring coordinators for chump change like Shannon was a talent decision? She crippled this program but the witch is dead and it shows with the 4 million the new coach is receiving.

Ok...not starting a type argument...but I just can't help myself...

1) are you or any family a graduate (or attended) UM? (I am);

2) do you understand how University funding works (I do)?

First, as a matter of course, general donations to a University 99%...wait, I'd offer 99.99%, of the time go to waht is commonly known as the "general fund". This mechanism funds and supports basic operations and matainence to "keep the lights on, fund salaries, repair amd restore infrastructure, etc." and doesn't go DIRECTLY to any single department or program. Now with that said, those donations INDIRECTLY (or what we call in-kind) support everything a University does because of the multi-use nature of what operations and maintenance covers. For example, general donations do in-kind support football because it pays for the salaries of teachers, and keeps the calssrooms running, that the athletes use while in attendance (just like non-athletes).

Now, there are specified donations just as the name implies (i.e. I want my $$$ to go towards the salary fund, or cancer research fund, or FOOTBALL, or even the IPF, or the School of Engineering, etc..) and those monies are earmarked exclusivley in support of what was named (or at least BY LAW there are supposed to).

Any evidence she prohibited donations to the AD and/or football program? I suggest not a scrap of such exists. Was she a typical "above it all academic and US Govt technocrat (remember she was HHS Sec for President Clinton)". Absolutely! Did she consciously wreck the AD or football program? You are giving WAY, WAY to much credit to a boogey woman that doesnt exist.

Advertisement

b.s.

Kudos however for the "middle earth" reference...too funny....

So far he is doing better than shalala by far and that's all that matters.... We would never been allowed to pay for a real coaching staff under shalala...

Sports are a component of a University. Larger components or lesser components in different universities - but a component none the less.

I think he has a pretty good idea how important football is to UM and to UM fans.

He'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to have not seen the ****-raising last season against Golden.

Agreed. He doesn't know/care about the mechanisms of the AD, but he recognizes the unnecessary pain and irritation that will POTENTIALLY come to his desk if the AD doesn't run well, in particular, the crown jewel of football.

They could go 0-10 for 10 seasons straight and it will not put his employment under 1 degree of pressure to fire him from the BOT. He was hired to raise UM's standings to top 30-40 or higher, because that in turn drives more prestige for the school AND graduates in addition to bringing in more academically related $$$$.

That is 100% is job.

So far he is doing better than shalala by far and that's all that matters.... We would never been allowed to pay for a real coaching staff under shalala...

She could influence, but wasn't the decision maker on how AD salaries were set. That's a BOT and AD function. Why? Because if a President gets mired i to those discussions ans decisions, the faculty will RIOT over why "is a Department Chair paid x, while our dumb *** Caach is paid x*1000 who provides no meaningful contribution to society?"

Thats the politics of it. It keeps the President clear and enables options to manage the University overall (a larger and more important function than the AD btw).

Advertisement
Back