Will Jamal Carter start as a true freshman?

I think people are going to be surprised by our defense next year. Just sayin'. And, Johnson better get in line with whatever the **** he needs to do, because if we get Matthew Thomas, we're talking any missed practice away from becoming Wally Pipp.

Agree with all of this.

This year a confluence of circumstances led to our defense bottoming out something awful.

But next year over 90% of the defense (****, over 90% of the WHOLE TEAM) returns. That's another year of familiarity with the scheme, and another year of UTOUGH. That is HUGE.

Then you sprinkle in JUCOs and a couple of impact freshmen...I think we'll see a very significant turnaround.

Advertisement
I just got chills thinking about Tyriq McCord rushing on the weak side, and Matthew Thomas rushing on the strong side.

I think people are going to be surprised by our defense next year. Just sayin'. And, Johnson better get in line with whatever the **** he needs to do, because if we get Matthew Thomas, we're talking any missed practice away from becoming Wally Pipp.

Agree with all of this.

This year a confluence of circumstances led to our defense bottoming out something awful.

But next year over 90% of the defense (****, over 90% of the WHOLE TEAM) returns. That's another year of familiarity with the scheme, and another year of UTOUGH. That is HUGE.

Then you sprinkle in JUCOs and a couple of impact freshmen...I think we'll see a very significant turnaround.

If we can sign a legit JuCo DT, we're going to be fairly decent on D next year. I think Pierre and Porter are both future pros. I think Mccord needs to eat PEDs. If we can sign an edge guy out of JuCo, I think we'll be a top 25 defense next year.

If Jamal Carter steps in and starts, don't expect our defense to break out of the bottom 1/3 of the nation in defense.

Agree with all of this.

If we can sign a legit JuCo DT, we're going to be fairly decent on D next year. I think Pierre and Porter are both future pros. I think Mccord needs to eat PEDs. If we can sign an edge guy out of JuCo, I think we'll be a top 25 defense next year.

Ready-to-step-in JUCO DT would be very nice to have. The entire DL though, needs to get bigger, stronger, and faster in the off-season. Still look like boys...and they are...but they need to grow into men.

Advertisement
Ehhh, IDK about that. Deon came into Miami as physically ready as any freshman I've seen in awhile. It's not only about having those physical tools, but making plays with them. IDK how you can say "Deon has better mental tools to step in and learn the playbook right away", when Carter hasn't been given the opportunity to do so.

You just backed up what I said. Deon came in with good size and speed but he's on the smaller side for a college safety right now and early in the season he wasn't making physical tackles. Now he has the experience and know-how to be our best DB when healthy and make crushing hits using every ounce of his power. Carter would already be the most physically developed safety on the team so that's where that statement comes from. The guy is built like a LB and he's an incredible athlete.

As for mental tools, Bush is very mature for his age and has the mental makeup of an upperclassman in how he approaches preparation for a game and things like that. I don't see that with Carter, although I haven't seen him yet this year and mental growth happens quickly.

A lot of people around the Columbus program didn't think Deon would have the success he's having now because of the mental make up he showed in high school. He was often out of position and seemed lost at times. Again, you can't judge Carter's mental ability until he steps on campus because sometimes it just clicks for certain players once they get to college.

There are two ways of interpreting that, and I'm not sure which you meant. Care to elaborate?

Agree with all of this.

I agree, would be great to get Perryman healthy because there is a clear difference in his performance this year.

Defense has to get more physical and learn how to hit/tackle. I don't know if the scheme is making this D pillow fight or if it's the players lack of strength and aggression. Still too many ball carriers falling forward and fighting through contact this year. Hard to believe next year it magically goes away.

Advertisement

There are two ways of interpreting that, and I'm not sure which you meant. Care to elaborate?

I think people expect it to be ****tier than it will be. I don't expect it to be incredible, but I expect to see a more consistent defense and, potentially, a top 35-type defense. To put it in concrete terms, I don't expect to hold on to my butt when we punt at the end of a game next year in the hopes the defense can close out a win.

Our defense has no where to go but up next year! 2012 will be statistically our worst ever defense...

The answer is no. Maybe by the end of the season, if AH, KR and RJ fail... but these 3 guys could improve a lot with the experience they've gained. Hopefully, one of them will grab the job and we can let true freshman redshirt or provide depth -- as opposed to on the job training.

Advertisement
Back