Off-Topic Will California Law Allow UCLA to Play in the Big Ten?

Advertisement
Even if UCLA to the Big Ten doesnt happen, Arizona is being added to the "banned" states, so neither they nor Cal should be able to travel there for a game.

I thought sports teams had a waiver.

Then again it doesn't stop narcissist Newsome from vacationing, with his taxpayer security team, in a banned state.

I'm sure they'll find a way around it.

He's justified his trip as a personal travel, which falls outside of the state law.

The question about California teams traveling to banned states has come up before. I've read in the past that if push comes to shove, away games could be funded through boosters as "private" or "personal" travel outside of school funding. So for example, if noted celebrity I.Luve California provides a private, chartered 767 to UCLA to travel to and from Arizona, and also pays for hotel and incidentals, that would be the way around the law.

This article mentions it as well - they can likely still travel as long as they do not use state travel.

Advertisement
He's justified his trip as a personal travel, which falls outside of the state law.

The question about California teams traveling to banned states has come up before. I've read in the past that if push comes to shove, away games could be funded through boosters as "private" or "personal" travel outside of school funding. So for example, if noted celebrity I.Luve California provides a private, chartered 767 to UCLA to travel to and from Arizona, and also pays for hotel and incidentals, that would be the way around the law.

This article mentions it as well - they can likely still travel as long as they do not use state travel.

Bingo!

But he used state funded security detail, so he still violated his own law.

What the "banned" states should do is band (pun intended) together and ban state funds on travel to California. I hate the cancel culture of the left, but sometimes you just have to play the game.

This law is weird. I can see the intent is for the state government not to be doing business with states that discriminate and that's not necessarily bad, but the execution is troubling where it could have unintended consequences. It also doesn't make sense, because you need to do business with other states and countries that you don't agree with.

It's all in whether universities are considered "state agencies." I think this as well as the article are just using sports to support a political agenda on both sides.

I don't even believe this is an issue. If I'm correct, University athletic operational budgets are funded from their athletic revenue. State money goes to the academic funding of scholarships, salaries, and buildings. Even if the universities were getting state funds towards their athletic programs, it's not that hard to have an account for travel expenses that is funded by tv and ticket revenue.

So, I think the article is mostly political tying in athletics that shouldn't even be a problem. It is an obscure law none the less. They may want to repeal this law and nothing to do with sports. I think it makes it harder for their state's ability to do business with other states.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back