Will Al Golden ever coach in a Power 5 Conference?

G

Glacava75

I pose this question as this has been on my mind. Why would Al Golden with the same record as Shannon (who has not coached since) ever be allowed to coach again. It is evident from the job done at The U that he cannot coach during games and he can not improve talent, so is there a school that will give him a chance?

By Al staying with the Canes, is he digging his grave deeper?

Happy New Year CANE fans!

Advertisement
Shannon does coach. He is LB coach at Arkansas, but as a head coach I highly doubt it. He might be a DC for a mid major or maybe a HC for a mid major but I don't see any power 5 teams lining up to hire him as backed by that when all these jobs opened up no one contacted him.

Golden wouold be hired to coach a program like UCONN or Utah St

He is a terrible coach, but he talks a GREAT game

I think you may find an AD in a power conference who might bite on Golden going forward and here's why

He is still a good "face of the team" type guy. He says all the right stuff...plays the game...manages to recruit ok.
The key for him is to find a Power 5 program that doesn't really look for anything but a "respectable finish" and maybe recruits the type of player that fits a system like D'Onofrios. Before you all lose your **** about his system, it's actually one that a lot of teams employ..even pro teams. I just think it's a horrible fit for the type of natural athlete that Miami has access to.

I don't know who all runs systems like this exactly but I gotta think places like the lower half of the Big 10 or some other places where they rely more on the type of "lunch-pail/ blue collar" nonsense that needs a system like that. If Al would just have made the call to step away from that defense and shift philosophy I think we would have seen a better ending. He's just too insecure in this environment.

Advertisement
Back