Will AG's Def. ever produce high draft picks consistently?

pimpcane1

Junior
Heat, Panthers hoping they've solved their offensive issues; Dolphins and Canes notes; Marlins interview manager | Sports Buzz

### Though an NFC scout said junior cornerback Artie Burns could become a high-round pick, draft analyst Tony Pauline said this next potential UM draft class “is weak, very much so,” with Deon Bush a possible fifth-rounder, Ufomba Kamalu a sixth-rounder, junior Rayshawn Jenkins a seventh-rounder and Tyriq McCord, Raphael Kirby, Calvin Heurtelou, Tracy Howard, [juniors] Jamal Carter and Stacy Coley free agents, Pauline said.

“Tracy Howard draws a variety of opinion,” Pauline said. “Most scouts feel he’s free agent material, something I agree with, though I’ve been told he’s also received a few middle-round grades. Howard offers solid ball skills but poor size/speed numbers which I believe will knock him out of the seven rounds.”

So far the only players to be drafted in the first three rounds from Goldens defense, that he recruited is DP. Artie's probably the next one, followed maybe by Corn or Grace. After that I can't think of anyone else. So when is this defense going to start producing high draft choices consistently?

Also, can anyone explain what is going on with Chad Thomas? He is toiling away around here while players like Harold Landry, in the same recruiting class and lesser ranked than CT, are making plays all over the opposing backfield cementing their future at the top of the draft. What happened to the 10 sack seasons we were promised by this staff when CT signed?

Advertisement
Why is this a question? He's been here for four years and has yet to produce a first round defensive player. His defense doesn't really produce anything besides embarrassing blooper reels and ridiculously pathetic "records."

Heat, Panthers hoping they've solved their offensive issues; Dolphins and Canes notes; Marlins interview manager | Sports Buzz

### Though an NFC scout said junior cornerback Artie Burns could become a high-round pick, draft analyst Tony Pauline said this next potential UM draft class “is weak, very much so,” with Deon Bush a possible fifth-rounder, Ufomba Kamalu a sixth-rounder, junior Rayshawn Jenkins a seventh-rounder and Tyriq McCord, Raphael Kirby, Calvin Heurtelou, Tracy Howard, [juniors] Jamal Carter and Stacy Coley free agents, Pauline said.

“Tracy Howard draws a variety of opinion,” Pauline said. “Most scouts feel he’s free agent material, something I agree with, though I’ve been told he’s also received a few middle-round grades. Howard offers solid ball skills but poor size/speed numbers which I believe will knock him out of the seven rounds.”

So far the only players to be drafted in the first three rounds from Goldens defense, that he recruited is DP. Artie's probably the next one, followed maybe by Corn or Grace. After that I can't think of anyone else. So when is this defense going to start producing high draft choices consistently?

Also, can anyone explain what is going on with Chad Thomas? He is toiling away around here while players like Harold Landry, in the same recruiting class and lesser ranked than CT, are making plays all over the opposing backfield cementing their future at the top of the draft. What happened to the 10 sack seasons we were promised by this staff when CT signed?

"What happened to the 10 sack seasons we were promised by this staff when CT signed?"

I'll say it again Al Golden and Donofrio have never produced a 10 sack plus DE in their entire career.
It's not an accident. They are not unlucky with every single DE they have ever recruted.
Anyone expecting a DE to get 10 plus sacks under AG and Dono are fooling themselves.

Why is this a question? He's been here for four years and has yet to produce a first round defensive player. His defense doesn't really produce anything besides embarrassing blooper reels and ridiculously pathetic "records."

I ask because its food for thought to the people that want to keep AG if he some how wins 8 or 9 games?

Advertisement
Anyone that worries about going high in the draft is a "me guy." We can't win with them.

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2294450 said:
Corn should be drafted ahead of Artie, no question. Bush would be a **** of a bargain in the 5th round

Not that I disagree with you, cause I do think Corn is a better overall cover guy right now, but Burns has that rare combination of size/speed that the NFL covets.

Advertisement
Al Golden runs the largest NFL prospects flea market in the business. He does this while pretending to be a HC of a major collegiate program

Bush is a game changer and playmaker and far and above the best safety we have had since Kenny Phillips. 1st round material, probably a 3rd or 4th round pick. Corn is gonna go in the first 3 if he continues free lancing.

Advertisement
I think if he keeps calling the defense as they have been this year, we have a chance, but they will still stunt the growth of a lot of players because the scheme and philosophy of our 3-4 will not allow anyone but the LB's stand out by design, and even the LB's have to be the Perryman's/Grace's of the world at least or just flat out monsters.

[]_[] swag;2294450 said:
Corn should be drafted ahead of Artie, no question. Bush would be a **** of a bargain in the 5th round

Not that I disagree with you, cause I do think Corn is a better overall cover guy right now, but Burns has that rare combination of size/speed that the NFL covets.

If Burns can continue to locate the ball and get picks, I agree. But Corn looks like something special could well go hire to a team not committed to size at CB. Both would benefit from different defense.

The reason we have no 1st round defensive pick is Al. Top recruits do not want to play in his system. He system is particularly not attractive to any DT worthy of the name. Bad DT's means no pocket pressure up the middle(Old Cane staple). Add to that the fact that Al's entire system is designed for waiting for mistakes rather than creating them, and you have very little for NFL to take note of and pay for. They would rather wait and pick up talent on the cheap with FAs. I have said many time that if Ed Reed played for Al, we would have never heard of him.

Advertisement
Back