Wild College Football Playoff Scenarios That Could Actually Happen

Advertisement
Advertisement

A 'Who's Most Back?' Semifinal Showdown​

6 OF 6

1. 23fa2751e40640b6b9ed1f1e881bcd7d_crop_exact.jpg

Austin ***/Associated Press
    There are two questions that get asked almost every single season (or, more often, preseason) in college football:
    Is Texas back?
    Is "The U" back?
    Might as well combine the two into one wild scenario: Miami and Texas both reach the College Football Playoff.
    With Justin Fields, Kedon Slovis and other great quarterbacks not playing this fall, Texas' Sam Ehlinger may well be the best QB not named Trevor Lawrence. And Miami's transfer quarterback D'Eriq King (from Houston) is easily one of the 10 best quarterbacks still scheduled to play this fall. That alone makes a CFP showdown feel at least somewhat feasible.
    Both the Longhorns and the Hurricanes should also be strong on defense. With star lineman Gregory Rousseau sitting out for Miami, its ceiling isn't quite as high as we initially thought. But Texas should have one of the best defenses in the Big 12, while Miami should still rank in the top third of the ACC on D.
    Miami has to play at Clemson, Louisville and Virginia Tech, plus a home game against North Carolina. Texas plays a true road game against Oklahoma State and a neutral-site game against Oklahoma. It's unlikely either team will be able to run the table.
    But they are both ranked in the Top 20 of the "Adjusted AP Top 25" and are arguably the third-best team in their respective conferences, so never say never. Much, much weirder things have already happened in 2020.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see our Canes in the playoff. That said,I would much rather, after witnessing the last 15 years or so, take it one game at a time. Beat UAB, study the tape, work on deficiencies, get better, go win game 2. Wash, rinse, repeat. We are nowhere near a point as a team where we can "put the cart before the horse" so to speak. Get better everyday, the rest will fall in place.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back