WHY WAS WALTON STILL IN THE GAME?

... There was like 8 minutes left.. Running the 4 minute offense who else would you want to drain the defense?

Advertisement
Homer's more than capable. Walton was already on a gimpy ankle. Gotta have a pulse of your team at some point. Up 16 in Duke territory with less than 8 min. was probably safe. Better have Homer battle tested if Walton goes down. I agree hindsight is 20/20.

Does not matter if Walton wanted to stay in the game our head coach makes 4 million a year what is he doing

There's no defending this. The guy was gimpy all game. We were up 3 scores. FSU is coming up. And homer is more than capable. I, like most fans, was yelling at the tv to get him out BEFORE he got hurt.

Walton says he's OK in post game interview. Says he should be good to play next week.

Advertisement
In general, I'd like to see a little more substitution for Walton, but I guess Richt doesn't have 100% confidence in Homer carrying the rock. I don't like Walton getting hurt, but I understand a head coach wanting to have his best player on the field to ice the game.

You guys need to chill. Coach knows what he's doing. Walton was hollering and wailing last week too. Hope he's good to go.

Coach refuses to get guys in the game. Less than 8 min, up 3 scores but going to risk the best player on your team with FSU lurking. Homer's capable & needs real reps. Should have gotten Rosier meaningful snaps last year. Something Schnellinberger & Johnson used to do. It's not NFL with 46 active.

Okay...Duke gets a quick score and two point conversion...then you have a 10 point game with 6 minutes or so facing an onside kick. Imagine the howling by the usual suspects if our starters had been removed. Also, because of Hurricane Irma the coaches have made it clear that conditioning is a big issue (Mack Brown strongly made this very point during the telecast). With FSU coming up, that will almost assuredly see the starters playing a lions share of the entire game, Richt most probably wanted to push the starters deeper into the 4th quarter with next week in mind.

I know you're captain save a ho, but Mark was hurt since second quarter. He wasn't even trying to go full speed on runs , he shouldn't of been in period . F the score. People in the game thread were wanting him pulled before the injury because it was so obvious.

Then ironically he hurts the ankle he's been limping on.

Advertisement
There's no defending this. The guy was gimpy all game. We were up 3 scores. FSU is coming up. And homer is more than capable. I, like most fans, was yelling at the tv to get him out BEFORE he got hurt.

Didn't mean to dv, I agree

Some of you guys are missing the point. We don't just need Walton to be a go for the fsu game, we need him healthy for the fsu game. Him retweeking his ankle may not prevent him from playing but he'll be gimpy again just like he was tonight. He lacked his normal top gear tonight and wasn't anywhere close to his best. Unfortunately that's the guy we'll probably get again next week now that he reinjured himself.

Walton is an emotional guy. He said that he thought his career was over when he got hurt last week. Then he played 6 days later. He'll be fine.

Is Richt afraid Homer's gonna put the ball on the ground? Great teams have at least a two back tandem. Wasn't a one possession game. Wasn't long ago Duke J. couldn't go in last series against FSU & we were done. It's great to have quality depth... Hope Walton's okay; he's best player on the field majority of the time.

Advertisement
Walton needs the stats for his eventual NFL payday. CMR is not gonna deny him the opportunities needed, even if it is not good for the team. Simple as that. I suspect the two had a conversation to that effect at the end of last season. Players with Walton's skills have a lot of power. Maybe more than the HC.

So, the college player dictates playing time, his personal agenda over team and coaches authority... got it.

Walton is one of Richts favorite players he has ever coached, him clamoring at Richt to play every down is probably one of the things CMR loves about him. I imagine he has told #1 plenty of times during the spring and fall that he will get his opportunities to play on gamedays when Walton is bugging him about carries in practices and scrimmages. He is within reach of a lot of milestones and potential accomplishments this season too, let the kid eat and if he gets hurt so be it. The same thought process on why Richt doesn't redshirt freshmen if he doesn't have to applies to whh Walton was still in the game.

Advertisement
Coaches got greedy. Driving and wanted to push that 24-6 lead to 31. Wasn't smart, but wasn't absolutely moronic with nine minutes left in game. Turnover and score would've made it 24-14 with conversion. Hope he's all right. Again, coaches just trying to put it away. Hindsight always 20/20.

i mean Homer and Choc should get more carries to. Choc should get 4-6 touches atleast a game. I wouldnt have risked Walton in that situation either in my opinion he is already gimpy

Rosier on Walton: "I'm not worried about Mark. I mean, he's a warrior. I talked to him after the game; he said he was fine, so I'm not worried about Mark at all. I think he'll come back fine. I think all the guys are amped for this FSU game."

That being said, it's inexcusable that Walton was still in there at that point in the game.

I think CMR was trying to fine tune a lot of things heading into FSU. He looked ****ed off more than usual when guys weren't executing properly. It seemed like he wanted to get a strong 4 minute offense going on that drive since we regular haven't had a chance thus far with Malik and he knows we will definitely need to able to starring next week and going forward.

Advertisement
Back