Why the reaction to this season is so great

Advertisement
We did not over achieve last year. We have more talent than every single team that we beat, we were SUPPOSED to win those games. Over achieving would've been beating a team like Clemson. Last year was, and is the expectation for an average year in the current Miami Hurricanes. Last year was something that we can't be satisfied with, but we can't be completely mad about because we did what we were supposed to do. This year, we regressed to a bad year, and took 2 steps back. Instead of appearing to be a competent QB to clean the ACC coastal slate, we look like we need a totally and completely different offense.

There is a solid difference where last year, our offense looked like it would have been unstoppable with a better QB because we got tons of explosive plays but couldn't drive the ball well. This year our OL took a **** on every stunt and CB blitz, our RBs had their bad moments, our WRs had their terrible moments, and we still aren't sure if our QB is the right guy. That is not what's expected from a Mark Richt team, because we never had the offense as a whole just look like **** in year 1 and 2. Before, it was that Kaaya wasn't mobile enough, then Rosier couldn't hit a pass. Now its the offense from top to bottom.

You're attacking the strawman with your response about program expectations, which isn't even in question. We overachieved last season based on talent (at QB & OL) and that's a completely different argument. We won two very close games on final drives that we could have easily lost on the way to 10 straight and a potential undefeated regular season, before losing to Pitt when we were ranked #2 in the nation and on the way to the CFP (even if we lost the ACCCG). Offensively, Malik had inconsistent accuracy with limited arm-strength but still set a school TD record (31) behind--at best--a mediocre OL... That's the epitome of overachievement, friend.

Fast-forward to this season without Mark Walton, Chris Herndon, Braxton Berrios, and Ahmmon Richards on offense (our 4 best players), and it's not realistic to understand why we took a step back on that side of the ball. Add to that, N'Kosi didn't take CFB seriously enough to prepare like a starter and lead the football team at a time when the game-plan was out Malik and our offensive unit. There's not much Richt could have done this season to mask the talent deficiencies at QB and youth, or at times overcome the immaturity issues.

Could we have pulled out a couple more wins this season and limped into the ACCCG? Sure, but we're still not where we need to talent-wise (QB & OL) if program expectations are championships.

Last edited:
It's probably because after the 10-2 season what happened this year felt a Charlie Brown / Lucy van Pelt sketch and after 15 years we're done with it.

You're attacking the strawman with your response about program expectations, which isn't even in question. We overachieved last season based on talent (at QB & OL) and that's a completely different argument. We won two very close games on final drives that we could have easily lost on the way to 10 straight and a potential undefeated regular season, before losing to Pitt when we were ranked #2 in the nation and on the way to the CFP (even if we lost the ACCCG). Offensively, Malik had inconsistent accuracy with limited arm-strength but still set a school TD record (31) behind--at best--a mediocre OL... That's the epitome of overachievement, friend.

Fast-forward to this season without Mark Walton, Chris Herndon, Braxton Berrios, and Ahmmon Richards on offense (our 4 best players), and it's not realistic to understand why we took a step back on that side of the ball. Add to that, N'Kosi didn't take CFB seriously enough to prepare like a starter and lead the football team at a time when the game-plan was out Malik and our offensive unit. There's not much Richt could have done this season to mask the talent deficiencies at QB and youth, or at times overcome the immaturity issues.

Could we have pulled out a couple more wins this season and limped into the ACCCG? Sure, but we're still not where we need to talent-wise (QB & OL) if program expectations are championships.

Our OL talent is not an excuse. Pitt, Duke, VT, and UVA all have decent defense's. But only VT has the actual DL talent to matchup to our OL talent. Did you think our OL talent performed "as per normal" when we couldn't get a push off the line against Savannah State? **** naw. It's not the joes man, we got some players on our offense. Losing Walton didn't matter because we played most of last year without him also. Losing Herndon only affected our experience/blocking from the TE position. I'll agree our WR's took a hit. But with that said, we still have more talent than any team in the coastal. So if we AREN'T beating them, then we are under performing to our team(players) talent level. Our DL looked trash and our DBs looked slow under D'Onofrio...drastic change when the scheme supports the personnel. I guarantee, and even Rosier said this himself, that these exact same players, with the exact same lineup (minus Donaldson being at RT) is enough to score 4 TD's a game in the coastal.

To your last note, we won because Malik was Malik, and our defense carried him. When Malik couldn't win doing Malik things (Pitt/Clemson/Wisconsin) we lost. This year, Malik was Malik but our WRs UNDER performed. They are way more talented than the 6 drops we seen. Our OL is not perfect, but they are a decent bunch in pass blocking and man to man run blocking. But we call too many zone-blocking runs while also doing nothing to fix, or counter CB blitz within the play call, the CB blitz alone blew up at least 2-3 drives a game this year. Left side of our line was a revolving door which led to stunts being an automatic free man. That's on the staff as well for not identifying the best lineman wasn't fcking Jahair Jones when Boulware came in and looked a whole lot better, but they still put in Jones. That's incompetent as fvck. The players are here, we just aren't utilizing them correctly, which means they are playing uncomfortable and making silly mistakes just like D'Onofrio's defense.

We DIDN'T win the championship last year, we won the Coastal and lost the ACC. So yes, we did what we were supposed to do with the players we had.

I was trying to figure out why the reaction to this season is so huge. I think the anger directed towards Richt is worse than Coker, Shannon, and Golden ever was. We have been mediocre, at best, for years. We all have watched - painfully - the big losses, bowl game losing streak, bad recruiting classes, and not even in the hunt for a Coastal title. I'll be honest I wanted Butch back, but was happy with the hire of Richt. He showed improvement right away. Richt hired a much better coaching staff than we had in years (this is incudes that badass Coach Diaz). Richt has pushed and upgraded of facilities. Richt has started to bring in more 4 star guys. Richt won a bowl game right away. Richt won the Coastal in year 2. We were improving!!

So here is my theory. When we were poor to mediocre and had a bad season it was normal....that was par for the course. No let down there. I think we all started getting some hope that the Miami Hurricanes HAD FINALLY BEEN BACK! And when you have bigger expectations and hope for a great season it hurts more to go through one like 2018.

That's my take.

I suspect that the moderators will issue you a warning as even a thread with the remotest positivity is absolutely forbidden on CIS. Just look at the clucking by the Herd. Beware!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back