Why the reaction to this season is so great

Mario Hurricanes

Niche Poster
Premium
I was trying to figure out why the reaction to this season is so huge. I think the anger directed towards Richt is worse than Coker, Shannon, and Golden ever was. We have been mediocre, at best, for years. We all have watched - painfully - the big losses, bowl game losing streak, bad recruiting classes, and not even in the hunt for a Coastal title. I'll be honest I wanted Butch back, but was happy with the hire of Richt. He showed improvement right away. Richt hired a much better coaching staff than we had in years (this is incudes that badass Coach Diaz). Richt has pushed and upgraded of facilities. Richt has started to bring in more 4 star guys. Richt won a bowl game right away. Richt won the Coastal in year 2. We were improving!!

So here is my theory. When we were poor to mediocre and had a bad season it was normal....that was par for the course. No let down there. I think we all started getting some hope that the Miami Hurricanes HAD FINALLY BEEN BACK! And when you have bigger expectations and hope for a great season it hurts more to go through one like 2018.

That's my take.

Advertisement
I was trying to figure out why the reaction to this season is so huge. I think the anger directed towards Richt is worse than Coker, Shannon, and Golden ever was. We have been mediocre, at best, for years. We all have watched - painfully - the big losses, bowl game losing streak, bad recruiting classes, and not even in the hunt for a Coastal title. I'll be honest I wanted Butch back, but was happy with the hire of Richt. He showed improvement right away. Richt hired a much better coaching staff than we had in years (this is incudes that badass Coach Diaz). Richt has pushed and upgraded of facilities. Richt has started to bring in more 4 star guys. Richt won a bowl game right away. Richt won the Coastal in year 2. We were improving!!

So here is my theory. When we were poor to mediocre and had a bad season it was normal....that was par for the course. No let down there. I think we all started getting some hope that the Miami Hurricanes HAD FINALLY BEEN BACK! And when you have bigger expectations and hope for a great season it hurts more to go through one like 2018.

That's my take.

09B3E89B-2AF5-4E8E-802E-82D6E62D815B.gif

Advertisement

That's my take.

We were ranked #8 pre season. You dont get ranked that high without a talented team. The talent showed on defense, but didn't show on offense. Hence the reason Richt gets so much criticism because offense is supposed to be his specialty.

That's my take.
You have a marvelous grasp of the obvious.

Advertisement

That's my take.

The team has been trending up but last season we really overachieved and Richt got coach of the year. This season we've regressed to the mean for several legitimate reasons, but mainly because of poor offensive execution & special teams play. Richt is a great target for criticism as HC, because he chose to make his son the QB coach & didn't hire a ST coach with the 10th spot.

Reality is, as talent continues to turn over on the roster and we plug the holes at punter, OL, & QB we'll continue to trend upward and compete for ACC Championships.

Last edited:
He clearly is reluctant to play youth at QB. Despite Brad declaring and seeing Sherief and Rosier all year in 2016, he doesn’t pursue an experienced transfer , most notably Will Grier. He runs of Jack Allison who he never let get reps

We sign Perry. Yet still no one beats out Rosier whom admits he thought would never play for him. Still there is no transfer QB sought.

At the conclusion of 2017, he knew what he had in Rosier, his lack of accuracy and the limitations on the offense from it especially given the way the season ended. We see at Pitt why Sherief never plays. He is obviously saving Perry’s redshirt. Saving it for what? he apparently fails to “take it seriously.” There’s that aversion to young QBs again

Yet halfway through the recruiting season he nearly Sits the bead, but instead changes course to J. Williams who arrives early. Runs off Evan.

He knew what he had in Nkosi, his lack of study habits and Emerson into the position and the limitations on offense from it. Rosier is still Rosier. All of the reports about expansion of play calls resulting from a better mental grasp of the game were BS. He is averse to the playingyoung the young QB again Williams.

Yet he still sought no transfers most notably the OSU transfer Burrow.

Throughout all of this he never seemed to suit the offense to the limitation of the QBs. He Never employed a check with me in order to start a younger more talented QB, despite other successful programs using it and a 2 year knowledge of the limits of Rosier. And now there is no QB recruits.

And that’s just the QB postion.....

Every Miami fan, with few exceptions, had very high expectations for 2018. Everyone expected, at worse a 10-3 season and then people reacted differently to not meeting the expectations.

The Richt supporters have mostly stayed quiet except for a few vocal posters. They will all return if Richt salvages the 19 class and starts winning again next year. They are disappointed with the season but still believe Richt can turn things around. Some call them patient others call them delusional.

The Richt haters were either skeptical of the hire from the beginning or have turned into haters after a 5 loss season. They currently dominate the board and have seen enough of Richt.

The casual fan does not or rarely ever visits this board. They, for the most part, do not chime in with their opinion. They go to games for the event. If we are winning, more of them show up, if we are not they tend not to show up.

The team has been trending up but last season we really overachieved and Richt got coach of the year. This season we've regressed to the mean for several legitimate reasons, but mainly because of poor offensive execution & special teams play. Richt is a great target for criticism as HC, because he chose to make his son the QB coach & didn't hire a ST coach with the 10th spot.

Reality is, as talent continues to turn over on the roster and we plug the holes at punter, OL, & QB we'll continue to trend upward and compete for ACC Championships.

We did not over achieve last year. We have more talent than every single team that we beat, we were SUPPOSED to win those games. Over achieving would've been beating a team like Clemson. Last year was, and is the expectation for an average year in the current Miami Hurricanes. Last year was something that we can't be satisfied with, but we can't be completely mad about because we did what we were supposed to do. This year, we regressed to a bad year, and took 2 steps back. Instead of appearing to be a competent QB to clean the ACC coastal slate, we look like we need a totally and completely different offense.

There is a solid difference where last year, our offense looked like it would have been unstoppable with a better QB because we got tons of explosive plays but couldn't drive the ball well. This year our OL took a **** on every stunt and CB blitz, our RBs had their bad moments, our WRs had their terrible moments, and we still aren't sure if our QB is the right guy. That is not what's expected from a Mark Richt team, because we never had the offense as a whole just look like **** in year 1 and 2. Before, it was that Kaaya wasn't mobile enough, then Rosier couldn't hit a pass. Now its the offense from top to bottom.

Advertisement
The hate for richt is based on the fact that at the end of season 3, his offense is having the same problem it had season 1, and he hasn’t done a **** thing to fix it.

Advertisement

This offense has been trending down. Richts first year O was worse than golden’s. Last years team didn’t overacheive, it lost to Pitt. Beating teams u out talent isn’t over achieving, it’s the bare minimum.

That's my take.

Pretty simple really.

If Richt could win 10 with Rosier and the talent level he had, surely he'd be able to do even better moving forward.

That not being true is a bitter pill.

Advertisement
Back