Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

Using the pro bowl is subjective as well. What schools do the players come from? We know Miami is likely responsible for the majority of ACC guys, followed by FSU and Clemson. The SEC is probably LSU, Bama and UGA.

Advertisement
This is the point those defending the SEC seem to not get. No one is saying that the SEC is not a strong conference, it is...at the top, but it is the same as every other conference after that. Problem is the entire conference gets labeled "toughest" when its not valid. When the questions start popping up about, a two loss SEC team vs an undefeated in so and so bowl, that's a problem.

as i've said before i agree, but if we agree that from the middle on down every conference is the same, then we're basically judging the 'toughest' conference by who is at the top. and since the sec is 12-3 in bcs games from 00'09' then people are going to equate the toughness of the schedule to those top teams....rightfully so because again as we agreed, from 6-12 all conferences are the same.

i think those top teams are who the media is generally referring to. the only ones who make the argument that a 5-loss sec team is better than a 2-loss team from another conference are the clueless homers who are fans of the bottom feeders and who live through bama, lsu, and uf for the most part.

Thanks for sharing those statistics.

But, there has been so much conference realignment in the last few years that these numbers do not entirely/accurate reflect NFL players that actually played in the conferences mentioned.

"NFL roster breakdown (as of June of this year) SEC 32%, PAC 12 28%, Big 10 27%, ACC 26%, Big XII 23%" - This is not really a percentage, but average number of college players from a team in the conference on an NFL roster.

Manipulating the data, if you take Duke out of the ACC, the average for the ACC is 32.27 players.

They are the only conference that prioritizes pass defense. Not lip service, but legitimate intensity, a refusal to allow garbage short passes to ramble uncontested. It's the difference maker in title game scenarios.

The SEC recently was only vulnerable in 2010, the year Auburn won the title. Auburn was not great in pass defense, nor were the other top SEC teams. But that conference is able to have one-year ramps. By the following season, Alabama had the best NCAA pass defense in more than 3 decades.

This season Georgia and LSU lost a ton defensively to graduation. The SEC is not as deep as typical. But to catch them as a block, another conference will have to prioritize pass defense. The Big 12 offensive infatuation will never be enough. The Pac 12 has the athletes to threaten the SEC but too many of their programs are soft and offensive minded. Still, the SEC would never win every title if the opponent every time were from the Pac 12. It's easily the most understated conference. The SEC has been fortunate to face the Pac 12 only once recently -- Auburn narrowly over Oregon -- while avoiding USC throughout their big run.

Advertisement
Now tomorrow you'll get to see the circular logic that keeps SEC teams ranked higher than they should be.

South Carolina won't drop very far because they lost to #11 Georgia (who has no business being #11). Georgia will jump right back into the Top 10 because they beat #6 South Carolina (who after their first two games clearly are not the 6th best team in the country).

Now tomorrow you'll get to see the circular logic that keeps SEC teams ranked higher than they should be.

South Carolina won't drop very far because they lost to #11 Georgia (who has no business being #11). Georgia will jump right back into the Top 10 because they beat #6 South Carolina (who after their first two games clearly are not the 6th best team in the country).

this. its actually sickening. these clowns on espn just said both of these teams are still 100% in the title hunt. praising each team for not having to play any of the teams worth a **** in the SEC

All bs, aside, nothing better than the sec, sec, sec mock chants today heading out of the game...

Advertisement
No other conference can roll out quality teams like the SEC. They have Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and A&M. Those are six good, quality teams. Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, Tenn, and Miss St will be no pushover either this year. You guys who think the SEC is overrated are nuts. You may not like the league, but the SEC is still the best week in and week out.

670.jpg

No other conference can roll out quality teams like the SEC. They have Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and A&M. Those are six good, quality teams. Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, Tenn, and Miss St will be no pushover either this year. You guys who think the SEC is overrated are nuts. You may not like the league, but the SEC is still the best week in and week out.

Per the original post, that 81-77 out of conference record doesn't make me think of the overwhelming and thorough conference dominance generally conveyed by SECers and the media.

Per the original post, that 81-77 out of conference record doesn't make me think of the overwhelming and thorough conference dominance generally conveyed by SECers and the media.

I'd also say that the SEC does a spectacular job keeping the status quo as the season rolls along. Very rarely do you see a higher seeded SEC team losing to a lower seeded SEC team, certainly much less than other conferences (obviously ours).

Does that just mean the better teams are winning these games? Sure but there's a lot of games that when things get very sticky the fortune always seems to favor the team with the higher imaginary number next to their names.

Advertisement
I'm not drinking the SEC kool-aid either. They have some great teams. They've won a lot of championships in a row. They have some inherent advantages because of how the system is currently setup and how their dynamic almost forces one of their teams to be given a shot.

I think you'll see a step back from the "awe" in the coming years.

Please tell me what inherent advantages the SEC has? An undefeated SEC champion Auburn was left out of the BCS title game in 2004. The people that blame the BCS for the SEC's constant top rankings are just butthurt and looking for something to blame the SEC's streak on other than them just flat out being better teams.
The fact that the SEC guys still make this a deal speaks exactly to how biased the SEC is. The one time the SEC got 'shafted,' they cry about it. You don't see the scores of Pac-12 fans *****ing about how Oregon was left out, or all the B12 fans complaining about how OSU was left out, or how Stanford was left out, etc etc. Meanwhile SEC fans have no issue coming up with whatever justification there was to prevent a rematch game happening (see OSU vs Michigan in '06), when they suddenly reverse course when it's two of their own.

Also, who would you have left out of that title game in favor of Auburn? USC and Oklahoma both played a tougher OOC schedule (who could have forgot about Auburn's gauntlet of La Monroe, the Citadel, and La Tech?). Both of them handily won their conferences and both had higher SOS rankings. The previous year, Auburn played USC and got raped. The fact that SEC fans are using this one piece of data as if it was some huge crime against their conference need to get a grip on reality.

The fact of the matter is, when half of your teams starts the preseason poll in the top 25 and play nobody OOC, it's easy to say that you guys are beating up on each other and you have the best teams. Is the SEC good? Sure. They're probably the best conference top to bottom year in and year out. But the whole presumption that they're on another level and deserve at least one team in the BCS title game is a total joke.

SEC is that good.

And the ACC just took down two of their best.

But I only give any ***** about this U.

They typically have the best within BCS vs BCS conference record every year. And some years it isnt even close. Thjs takes into account the bowl games as well.

Advertisement

They typically have the best within BCS vs BCS conference record every year. And some years it isnt even close. Thjs takes into account the bowl games as well.

That record was BCS vs BCS, no? Listen, I'm not an SEC "hater" because I really don't give much of a **** about conferences. Your comment came close to that "SEC is stronger from top to bottom" message that I think is bunk. If the SEC really were as gloriously dominant as is described, Clemson and Miami should have basically been run off the field these last two weeks. Miami, specifically, should not have had a chance to stay within double digits of UF. Sure, "anything can happen in one game," but UF got smoked up and down the field with Louisville as well. For the third time, does the SEC have some excellent football teams? Absolutely. Are they two levels above as a whole (conference)? I don't see it. I think it's fabricated and works well for those who have incentives to perpetuate that message.

In either case, the Canes won today. That's all I really care about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back