Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

this is a great article of course i give respect to the top team in the conference (Your the best until proven otherwise) but everyone else is suspect
-Ala dont think they win it all, that one loss a year could keep them out of it
-Ark is just weak all around
-Aub they lucked up one season but wont happen again
-Fl they over achieved last year and didnt get better and with tebow 2.0 under center im confident
-GA ranked high, under achieves every year does just enough to get in a bowl
-Kentucky i would be surprised if they are good anytime soon
-LSU with that weak *** offense
-Ole miss will learn very soon you cant buy a championship
-miss state one of those borderline schools. wont compete at the top but also is no push over
-missouri dont know why they joined the sec will be a bottom feeder for a while with the inability to recruit the south east
-South Carolina dont really have an identity plays strong
-tennessee wont be good for a while
-texas a&m really hyped off the bama game, hasn't wont against a good team otherwise
-vandy will never have the talent to compete at the top
SEC vs. PAC-12 regular season: 10-12
SEC vs. PAC-12 bowl games: 1-0
SEC vs. Big 12 regular season: 6-10
SEC vs. Big 12 bowl games: 21-8
SEC vs. ACC regular season: 42-36
SEC vs. ACC bowl games: 16-9
SEC vs. Big 10 regular season: 7-4
SEC vs. Big 10 bowl games: 19-19
SEC vs. Big East regular season: 16-15
SEC vs. Big East bowl game: 3-8
http://www.thepostgame.com/commenta...sto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

Advertisement
Definitely trying too hard. Bottom line: they have won 8 straight national titles, and are the best conference until proven otherwise.

I am far more interested in how good UM is than analyzing the relative merits of the conferences.

You realize calling Driskell "Tebow 2.0" is a massive compliment, right?

He may be a terrible NFL QB, but he's one of the best college QB's of all time.

I don't actually know why I read this, because I saw it was from you and well...you're an idiot. That is all.

Sorry, bro. The SEC is the best college football conference in America and it is not even close. Hasn't been for at least 8 years or so. Everyone else is playing catch-up and will be for a while.

Advertisement
I do not understand why people think that, for example, Alabama winning the title last year somehow makes the rest of the conference great. Are Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Miss. State, etc.. better by virtue of other teams winning titles? There is a great deal of coattail riding in the SEC.

The SEC is a top heavy conference that is now and has been benefiting from media (ESPN) hype, preseason polls and questionable scheduling.

The SEC might be the best conference. But I urge people to actually look at who these teams play and where they start out being ranked in preseason polls, which is an absurd idea to begin with, before they blindly go along with the ESPN company line.

I do not understand why people think that, for example, Alabama winning the title last year somehow makes the rest of the conference great. Are Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Miss. State, etc.. better by virtue of other teams winning titles? There is a great deal of coattail riding in the SEC.

The SEC is a top heavy conference that is now and has been benefiting from media (ESPN) hype, preseason polls and questionable scheduling.

The SEC might be the best conference. But I urge people to actually look at who these teams play and where they start out being ranked in preseason polls, which is an absurd idea to begin with, before they blindly go along with the ESPN company line.

This doesnt need it's own thread because it's been said. You either buy SEC hype or you don't. Yes they've won the last 8 titles. No they aren't as great as anyone thinks. But as someone said before until another conference steps up and wins the BCS then it doesn't matter.
I saw in another thread a great post about UGA not being a true top 5 team and i thought it was great research. Here is what he showed.

UGA went 12-2 last year. here are their wins
Florida (11-2)
Buffalo
Mizzou (5-7)
FAU
Vandy (9-4)
Tenn (5-7)
UK (2-10)
Ol Miss (7-6)
AU (3-9)
GA Southern
Ga Tech (7-7)
loss to bama champ game
beat Nebraska bowl game

No I'm not impressed by that. When your second best win is against Vandy. ( No offense to Vandy)
Had the Canes only lost to ND and FSU. Our opponent's records would have looked pretty close to that except we only played 1-AA school and 0 Schools from non AQ conferences. So no I'm not crowing the SEC as dominate when they play lower teir non-AQ teams and AA teams every year.

With that being said to be the man you gotta BEAT the man!! ACC standup!

Advertisement

I don't actually know why I read this, because I saw it was from you and well...you're an idiot. That is all.

i thought about that but percy made tebow look very good & i was referring more to the fact that tebow cant throw

my problem with this reasoning is people pretend as if it's not the same for other conferences. you go down the list conference by conference and there's typically 2 teams at the top and a bunch of fillers.

pac 12: usc & oregon
big 12: texas and ou
acc: miami and fsu
big 10: ohio state and michigan

meanwhile alabama, auburn, lsu, uf, uga, a&m, and tennessee are sec teams off the top of my head that have won titles with the first 4 winning them very recently.

bama, lsu, and uf are regularly in the top 10 while uga is typically a top 15 type team annually. all the conferences are top heavy, the reason the sec gets the pub it does is because recently their top teams have beat up on the top teams from other conferences. you can even go back to the 90's and during that decade three different sec teams won a national title, the most of any conference during that stretch. the data doesn't really support the top heavy narrative.

bottom line is the top teams in most of the conferences can compete with each other, talking about the bottom 6 is splitting hairs. is ole miss, vandy, or uk worse than the bc's, duke's, and nc state's of the world? same with scrubs like indiana, colorado, iowa state, etc. in the other major conferences.

Last edited:
Sorry, bro. The SEC is the best college football conference in America and it is not even close. Hasn't been for at least 8 years or so. Everyone else is playing catch-up and will be for a while.

they won the last 7 alabama 3 auburn 1 fla 1 lsu 1. that is very top heavy to me

they won the last 7 alabama 3 auburn 1 fla 1 lsu 1. that is very top heavy to me

that's 4 different teams.

what other conference has had 4 different teams win a title? i'm not sure how that supports your view of being top heavy, if it does then you'd have to claim the other conferences are more top heavy. again, what other conference has more than 1 or 2 schools winning all the titles? none do, it's a silly argument.

Advertisement
Florida actually has two in that stretch:
Florida 2006
LSU 2007
Florida 2008
Alabama 2009
Auburn 2010
Alabama 2011
Alabama 2012

that's 4 different teams.

what other conference has had 4 different teams win a title? i'm not sure how that supports your view of being top heavy, if it does then you'd have to claim the other conferences are more top heavy. again, what other conference has more than 1 or 2 schools winning all the titles? none do, it's a silly argument.

any team that wins a NC i give them credit my thing is people assume a team not named bama & lsu maybe Ga fla can play at the top of other conferences

i thought about that but percy made tebow look very good & i was referring more to the fact that tebow cant throw

In the NFL he can't throw, in College he's one of the highest rated passers of all time.

Advertisement
UGA went 12-2 last year. here are their wins
Florida (11-2)
Buffalo
Mizzou (5-7)
FAU
Vandy (9-4)
Tenn (5-7)
UK (2-10)
Ol Miss (7-6)
AU (3-9)
GA Southern
Ga Tech (7-7)
loss to bama champ game
beat Nebraska bowl game

No I'm not impressed by that. When your second best win is against Vandy. (No offense to Vandy)

Yeah, you should offense to Vandy, another fraud SEC team:

Presbyterian (2-9)
Missouri (5-7)
Auburn (3-9)
UMass (1-11)
Kentucky (2-10)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Tennessee (5-7)
Wake Forest (5-7)

How about Texas A&M last year other than the Alabama game?

SMU (7-6)
South Carolina State (FCS)
Arkansas (4-8)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Auburn (3-9)
Mississippi State (8-5)
Sam Houston St. (FCS)
Missouri (5-7)

Oh, Miss. State won 8 games last year? Lets look at their gauntlet:

Jackson State (FCS)
Auburn (3-9)
Troy (5-7)
South Alabama (FCS)
Kentucky (2-10)
Tennessee (5-7)
Middle Tennessee State (8-4)
Arkansas (4-8)

How about perennial SEC powerhouse LSU?

North Texas (FCS)
Washington (7-6)
Idaho (1-11)
Auburn (3-9)
Towson (FCS)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Mississippi State (8-5)
Arkansas (4-8)
Texas A&M (11-2)

South Carolina?

Vandy (9-4)
East Carolina (8-5)
UAB (3-9)
Missouri (5-7)
Kentucky (2-10)
Tennessee (5-7)
Arkansas (4-8)
Wofford (FCS)
Clemson (11-2)

How about the Natty Champs?

Michigan (8-5)
Western Kentucky (7-6)
Arkansas (4-8)
Florida Atlantic (3-9)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Missouri (5-7)
Tennessee (5-7)
Mississippi State (8-5)
LSU (10-3)
Western Carolina (FCS)
Auburn (3-9)

WE BEAT THE BEST CUZ WE R THE BEST

my problem with this reasoning is people pretend as if it's not the same for other conferences. you go down the list conference by conference and there's typically 2 teams at the top and a bunch of fillers.

pac 12: usc & oregon
big 12: texas and ou
acc: miami and fsu
big 10: ohio state and michigan

meanwhile alabama, auburn, lsu, uf, uga, a&m, and tennessee are sec teams off the top of my head that have won titles with the first 4 winning them very recently.

bama, lsu, and uf are regularly in the top 10 while uga is typically a top 15 type team annually. all the conferences are top heavy, the reason the sec gets the pub it does is because recently their top teams have beat up on the top teams from other conferences. you can even go back to the 90's and during that decade three different sec teams won a national title, the most of any conference during that stretch. the data doesn't really support the top heavy narrative.

bottom line is the top teams in most of the conferences can compete with each other, talking about the bottom 6 is splitting hairs. is ole miss, vandy, or uk worse than the bc's, duke's, and nc state's of the world? same with scrubs like indiana, colorado, iowa state, etc. in the other major conferences.

I never said anything about other conferences. They are all pretty much equal to be honest. If you want to discuss the strength of other conferences, we can do that in a separate thread.

So what if 4 different teams have won a title? All four of those teams haven't been great every year. For example, when Florida was winning titles, Alabama and Auburn weren't that good at all. It was Florida and LSU. Look at Auburn. They are awful now but won a title in 2010. So that means they are elite now? Of course not.

The point being that every year the SEC doesn't have 4 elite teams.Thus, saying that four SEC teams have won a title as way to say it's the best isn't logical because those teams weren't/aren't great every year.

My real problem, and living in an SEC state, is that your average fan DOES think Mississippi State would win the ACC, BIG 10, PAC 12, etc... but are only bad because they play in the SEC. It is a very common belief that is ludicrous.

Advertisement
Back