Why save the one ship?

Consigliere

All-American
I don't understand why we didn't bring in a player on a one year ship, even if it is just purely depth. Similar to a Joe Thomas type.

You're relying on so much youth, why not bring in an elder statesman as a filler?

Advertisement
If I am not mistaken didn't the last Ship go to Sam Waardenburg. Yes he is red shirting because he is coming in mid year but I would rather take a Sam Waardenburg who will potentially be a factor next year because of the experience of being with the team for this year than just taking a "filler" or a practice player for 1 year.

If I am not mistaken didn't the last Ship go to Sam Waardenburg. Yes he is red shirting because he is coming in mid year but I would rather take a Sam Waardenburg who will potentially be a factor next year because of the experience of being with the team for this year than just taking a "filler" or a practice player for 1 year.

Where did you see that? In football EE can count towards either class, I don't see why it would be different in basketball.

They were trying to get Andrew White.

He decided pretty much right before classes started, so too late to find a replacement.

It sucks but they were trying to get an impact player, not just another Joe Thomas.

Also, as the above poster said, this also Wardenburg to enroll in January, which we couldnt do without the open scholarship

Also, as the above poster said, this also Wardenburg to enroll in January, which we couldnt do without the open scholarship

I thought you were ignoring me. Did you read my post above?

High school players who are on track to graduate after the first semester of their senior year and intend to enroll in college in January. Early enrollees are beneficial for programs in that they can also “back count” them – a term will address next – to the previous year.

Any player who signs a financial aid agreement has to be listed as an “initial counter” and be assigned to a specific recruiting class. If a player is an early enrollee, he can be an initial counter with the current recruiting class or he can be back counted to a previous class that had room available.

More reading here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D116.pdf

So Waardenburg can count towards the prior class or the next class. Either way, the ship is open.

No. They had a ship open before he intended to transfer. They had one open for awhile.

Advertisement

High school players who are on track to graduate after the first semester of their senior year and intend to enroll in college in January. Early enrollees are beneficial for programs in that they can also “back count” them – a term will address next – to the previous year.

Any player who signs a financial aid agreement has to be listed as an “initial counter” and be assigned to a specific recruiting class. If a player is an early enrollee, he can be an initial counter with the current recruiting class or he can be back counted to a previous class that had room available.

So Waardenburg can count towards the prior class or the next class. Either way, the ship is open.

No. They had a ship open before he intended to transfer. They had one open for awhile.

No ****, they've been trying to get an impact transfer, but missed out on their targets. Is it that difficult for you to understand?

Why do you even start threads, it's worthless even trying to reason with you.

Just keep hating on Coach L like you always do

No ****, they've been trying to get an impact transfer, but missed out on their targets. Is it that difficult for you to understand?

Why do you even start threads, it's worthless even trying to reason with you.

Just keep hating on Coach L like you always do

You really are a Potato. You're wrong again in this thread and you just make chit up.

Why did you take me off ignore?

How are you able to type while you're skiing?

You're really ***ing dumb. (Returning to the OP) So now we have the open ship, why not use it on a filler?

He decided pretty much right before classes started, so too late to find a replacement.

It sucks but they were trying to get an impact player, not just another Joe Thomas.

The NIT Richmond game where Joe Thomas came in and went beast mode for 8 minutes off the bench.

Advertisement
Plenty of big time colleges leave 2-3 scholarships open year to year

Why? Can you provide some examples that are not due to sanctions or budget restrictions.

It happens at Duke all the time. Players transfer or leave early that you don't expect when you become a solid program, and that leaves you short a player.

So why no filler? Someone gone in a year anyway.

So you're saying Duke runs with less than 13 normally?

Why? Can you provide some examples that are not due to sanctions or budget restrictions.

It happens at Duke all the time. Players transfer or leave early that you don't expect when you become a solid program, and that leaves you short a player.

Duke runs with 10 often actually. They have 12 this year. Last year they had 9

You normally rotate about 8-9 guys. So you dont really need more than 10 or 11. The problem is if you sign a freshmen that your not sold on you might be stuck to him. Teams like to leave open spots to remain flexible to signing an extra player or 2 in a cycle.

Teams also have guys leave the program or turn pro and will not rush to sign a guy they didnt really want

Advertisement
Coach L has been at this for far too long with far too good results to question his strategy on use of scholarships.

They have frequently.

Duke runs with 10 often actually. They have 12 this year. Last year they had 9

You normally rotate about 8-9 guys. So you dont really need more than 10 or 11. The problem is if you sign a freshmen that your not sold on you might be stuck to him. Teams like to leave open spots to remain flexible to signing an extra player or 2 in a cycle.

Teams also have guys leave the program or turn pro and will not rush to sign a guy they didnt really want

Are you talking about rotating or actual use of scholarships? They don't run with 10 scholarships "often".

Also, Duke and Miami are very different. Duke is one team and the point still stands for us especially with the amount of young kids at PF/C.

Advertisement
I am talking about scholarships

They don't run at 10 "often".

Also, even if Duke did, our talent and depth are not the same. If you constantly were grabbing the same quality players (as Duke), then I could see it as less of an issue.

Our advantage is our players stay and grow together (now recruiting has clearly changed for us). We have had the most success when they become elder statesmen. This year, we have a lot of young guys who will be playing serious burn. This isn't the same as Duke's situation.

I am talking about scholarships

They don't run at 10 "often".

Also, even if Duke did, our talent and depth are not the same. If you constantly were grabbing the same quality players (as Duke), then I could see it as less of an issue.

Our advantage is our players stay and grow together (now recruiting has clearly changed for us). We have had the most success when they become elder statesmen. This year, we have a lot of young guys who will be playing serious burn. This isn't the same as Duke's situation.

They do for sure. Kentucky is also at 10-11 often. I'll look at numbers later tonight

Obviously like you said they have higher end talent and developing guys over the years matters less to these programs

I am not advising it as a strategy, but being at 12 isnt an issue. They went after some grad transfers if you didnt get a guy the staff thought could help no reason just to take someone

Advertisement
Back