Why did you all think Richt was such a great coach?

Well, it's fairly simple - the data show that he did well as the OC at FSU during a major run by their program.

And he had a very good HC record at Georgia.

Those point to a quality coach.

Repeating it is a different story.

We all hope he can do very well here and win championships.

We'll see.....

[]_[] swag;2688670 said:
Right now I'm a huge Richt apologist comparatively to this site, but I didn't like the hire half as much as a lot of you guys.

When we landed him, everyone was ecstatic. I get liking the hire when we were looking at a Mario Cristobal as the next choice but just overall I think there were plenty of better hires out there. Was a big BBB guy personally, but accepted it probably wasn't gonna happen. You can't tell me that even a Mike leach sort of guy wouldn't have 6 or 7 wins right now if they came with Diaz.

This is a guy that got fired for being a corch, idk what you all expected? Even his best seasons he underachieved his preseason rankings. That was the whole knock on him is he didn't perform up to his talent levels.

Saying all this, I was basically convinced on the plain fact that he's done it before. Unless there's something inherently wrong with Miami that none of us are seeing, this is a guy that should have the same success here that he had at UGA. That means that we'll be back in the rankings on a fairly consistent basis, but it also means that we're prob not winning big with him.

At this point that's exactly what we need. We need the first guy to put us as a 9/10 win team hanging out consistently in the rankings before the top level recruits start coming back. As it stands we're not even on the level of a UNC, we're more at the UVA level in the eye's of recruits.

we need someone to take the first step and then the talent pool basically leaves us with no limit. Richt was never a guy that would take an 8 win team and have them winning 11 games ala Urban Meyer. But he's shown he can build a program and unless he's just really not into it, he'll be the guy to get us back to the top of the ACC coastal at least, then when we can close of SoFL again we can compete big.

Advertisement
I thought he was an underachiever and thought it was a bad hire. But once he was hired I bought in to be positive for the program. I thought we needed an Xs and Os guru that could run a program.

I still hope he proves me wrong

I don't understand why people assume Butch is better than Richt. Butch's recruiting at UNC isn't any better than Richt at UGA. If your argument is Miami helped Butch recruit in the 90's and would help him recruit today then logically that should apply to Richt as well. As far as game day, give me a break. They called him "Botch" Davis for a reason.
Butch wouldn't have done better. As North Carolina showed, Butch needs a loaded roster to win. Richt requires the same. That was something we should have went away from. Butch is a better talent evaluator but other than that he brings nothing to the table that Richt didn't.

I don't understand why people assume Butch is better than Richt. Butch's recruiting at UNC isn't any better than Richt at UGA. If your argument is Miami helped Butch recruit in the 90's and would help him recruit today then logically that should apply to Richt as well. As far as game day, give me a break. They called him "Botch" Davis for a reason.
Butch wouldn't have done better. As North Carolina showed, Butch needs a loaded roster to win. Richt requires the same. That was something we should have went away from. Butch is a better talent evaluator but other than that he brings nothing to the table that Richt didn't.

Guess what? That's what he DOES.

He loads his rosters.

You're jenius. Pure jenious.

He loads his rosters.

Only when he is at a program with 4 National Titles 7 years in the rear view mirror.

Advertisement

He loads his rosters.

Only when he is at a program with 4 National Titles 7 years in the rear view mirror.

But when the road ahead suffered 31 scholarship reductions - gutted the team - he certainly loaded his roster as scholarships were returned - and yet again - fielded the greatest college football team ever assembled.

Did it under sanctions!

Willful ignorance, to the contrary, is not a virtue - no matter what your momma told you.

UNC, not known as a football powerhouse, nor is it located in an area generally accepted as talent rich, is or was essentially operating under probation like circumstances during his time there. This is in comparison to traditional powers across the land who have the history of doing big things.

I've always said, I respect what Botch did recruiting wise during his time here. Having said that, the recruiting game change with the proliferation of online information, camps popping up everywhere, and even recruiting services showing up on the scene.

So riddle me this Botch lovers. Why would anyone assume as all these changes have occurred, he could duplicate his past results here when he couldn't do it at UNC. UNC has none of the built in bonuses the traditional powers have, so essentially he'd have to find those hidden gems you keep saying he'd find here as the best recruiter the world has ever seen. He got some good players to UNC, but the game changed. His on the field results there, they frankly suck.

For a gawd, he had lower class results in the end. That doesn't mean he lost his eye for talent, but the recruiting game changed. Even with some shady recruiting tactics, it didn't show in the win column.

In conclusion, you're chasing smoke from a fire long burnt out. The proof is his tenure at UNC in today's world. Further proof is a plethora of big job vacancies between now and then with people paid big money to determine their next coach....poor Botch is left wanting. He's got a good gig now, no shame in that. He's just not a desired coach for obvious reasons by those who know him as Botch come game day.

UNC, not known as a football powerhouse, nor is it located in an area generally accepted as talent rich, is or was essentially operating under probation like circumstances during his time there. This is in comparison to traditional powers across the land who have the history of doing big things.

I've always said, I respect what Botch did recruiting wise during his time here. Having said that, the recruiting game change with the proliferation of online information, camps popping up everywhere, and even recruiting services showing up on the scene.

So riddle me this Botch lovers. Why would anyone assume as all these changes have occurred, he could duplicate his past results here when he couldn't do it at UNC. UNC has none of the built in bonuses the traditional powers have, so essentially he'd have to find those hidden gems you keep saying he'd find here as the best recruiter the world has ever seen. He got some good players to UNC, but the game changed. His on the field results there, they frankly suck.

For a gawd, he had lower class results in the end. That doesn't mean he lost his eye for talent, but the recruiting game changed. Even with some shady recruiting tactics, it didn't show in the win column.

In conclusion, you're chasing smoke from a fire long burnt out. The proof is his tenure at UNC in today's world. Further proof is a plethora of big job vacancies between now and then with people paid big money to determine their next coach....poor Botch is left wanting. He's got a good gig now, no shame in that. He's just not a desired coach for obvious reasons by those who know him as Botch come game day.

You are either too young to have lived through Butch's tenure at UM or you are being willfully ignorant as to what he did for us.

You are either too young to have lived through Butch's tenure at UM or you are being willfully ignorant as to what he did for us.

That's all you've got? You try too hard and it's clear as day you're a troll. By some miracle you aren't, step away from whatever device you log on with and check yourself into a psych ward somewhere. Clearly you're the only person who sees him as something worth hiring as no decent program will even give him the time of day.

Advertisement

That's all you've got? You try too hard and it's clear as day you're a troll. By some miracle you aren't, step away from whatever device you log on with and check yourself into a psych ward somewhere. Clearly you're the only person who sees him as something worth hiring as no decent program will even give him the time of day.

Go ahead and vomit. Show us all how ignorant you are to the facts.

He loads his rosters.

This isn't 1998-2000 anymore. Crootin' is a different game and outside of crootin' he is a corch. No, thanks.

Spot on post.

Bro, he would load the roster bro and then he would proceed to win 8 games bro. It's what he does bro, he loads rosters and wins nothing in return bro.

Butch's time has passed. Though I think an NFL team should hire him as a co-GM or something where he can evaluate talent but not allowed to coach. I think he would be great in a role like that. As far as coaching, his ship has sailed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back