Why did we hire Golden?

Orangebowl

Redshirt Freshman
1.I think he only "improved" Temple because they were moving from a Big East that included us and Va Tech down to the MAC. And of course Miami and Va Tech were much better back then than now.
2. He went 1-8 vs BCS conference teams at Temple, beating only UCONN. He also lost OOC to Army, Navy and Villanova.
3. He still only went 27-34 at Temple.
4. He never even went to the MAC title game. Some people say he had the best talent in the MAC and underachieved relative to his talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The administration wasn't willing to shell out big bucks at the time. Look at the hires before. Shannon and Coker deserved to be HC no more than Folden. Tried to stay on the cheap for years and it came back to bite us in the ***.

Advertisement
The Temple program was truly a dumpster fire when Golden got there so I can understand why he was getting credit for turning it around at the time. Now with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, it's become evident that some of that success was smoke and mirrors (unless you are Jason Whitlock who called it from day 1). Moreover, it was just a poorly executed search from top to bottom. The three finalists were Golden, Trestman, and Edsall. Compare that to this time around where we were (allegedly) choosing between Richt, Butch, Mullen, and Schiano. Even the worst case scenario this time around (Schiano) was light years better than the three candidates that emerged from the previous search. What changed between the previous search and this one?

shalalaU.jpg

I think it was part to save money and part because we didn't really have any good candidates that wanted the job at the time. Golden is good at selling himself so I'm sure he won people over during interviews.

Advertisement
Who cares. That loser, his buddy and the cancer troll are all gone and not coming back. Move on...

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every coach has their ceiling. Golden's ceiling is 8/9 wins at a mid-tier program. Golden will never see a conference title regardless of if it's the SEC or the MAC.

many people thought he was an up and comer at the time, he was the Justin Fuente, Dino Babers of 2011

Advertisement
Back