Why did UGA fire Mark Richt?

pharktark

Recruit
I mean there had to be a reason they fired him after 15 years, right? Could it possibly have been that he's a decent coach who doesn't ever win big? And if so, why are we to expect him to be any better here?

Advertisement
I mean there had to be a reason they fired him after 15 years, right? Could it possibly have been that he's a decent coach who doesn't ever win big? And if so, why are we to expect him to be any better here?

Because they think they're Alabama.

Ok so let's dissect this logic.

1) UGA isn't entitled to think they can win big.
2) UGA should accept being a 2nd tier SEC power
3) Mark Richt is the type of coach 2nd tier SEC teams should have
4) Miami should hire the type of coach that 2nd tier SEC teams deserve

So you are saying Miami shouldnt think it is Alabama either, correct? We, and UGA, should just be satisfied with being a 9 win team?

So Jagr: is Mark Richt an elite coach?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Two SEC championships in his first five seasons, he failed to win a title in his last 10 seasons.

Georgia has appeared in the SEC championship game only twice since winning its last SEC title in 2005.

His teams suffered at least one loss of 18 points or more in 10 of the last 11 seasons

Record of 14-23 against ranked opponents over the last eight seasons, including 0-2 last year

Unable to take control of the SEC East in each of the previous two seasons, when Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee were collectively struggling mightily

After winning its first four games last year, Georgia was routed by Alabama 38-10 at home on Oct. 3, and then it blew a 21-point lead in a 38-31 loss at Tennessee the next week.

By Halloween last year, Georgia was eliminated from the SEC East race after a 27-3 loss to Florida.

Only one of the FBS opponents the Bulldogs beat last year (second-year FBS program Georgia Southern, which lost to UGA 23-17 in overtime) finished with a winning record, and only one other FBS foe (6-6 Auburn) will play in a bowl game

Richt's teams went only 5-10 against the Gators

Two SEC championships in his first five seasons, he failed to win a title in his last 10 seasons.

Georgia has appeared in the SEC championship game only twice since winning its last SEC title in 2005.

His teams suffered at least one loss of 18 points or more in 10 of the last 11 seasons

Record of 14-23 against ranked opponents over the last eight seasons, including 0-2 last year

Unable to take control of the SEC East in each of the previous two seasons, when Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee were collectively struggling mightily

After winning its first four games last year, Georgia was routed by Alabama 38-10 at home on Oct. 3, and then it blew a 21-point lead in a 38-31 loss at Tennessee the next week.

By Halloween last year, Georgia was eliminated from the SEC East race after a 27-3 loss to Florida.

Only one of the FBS opponents the Bulldogs beat last year (second-year FBS program Georgia Southern, which lost to UGA 23-17 in overtime) finished with a winning record, and only one other FBS foe (6-6 Auburn) will play in a bowl game

Does this sound like a guy we should have hired????

Bingo

trash program that got spoiled real real fast

welcome back to reality georgia, you just got beat at home by mighty vandy with 4 years of top 10 recruiting classes under your belt and guess what? Daddy gators are next week

Advertisement
Regardless of whether they could get it or not, they wanted more. They knew who Richt was/is and they didn't think it was going to change.

So you are going to approach this board with facts and logic?

Good luck with that.

This is ridiculous!

UGA fired Richt because they were planning for the future, and they wanted Kirby Smart to be their next HC. But South Carolina was going to hire him, which made them change their timing. Richt wasn't doing well enough to save his spot, and the contract terms and timing were favorable for UGA to make the move.

But UGA is 4-3 this season. You don't think Richt could be 4-3 at UGA this season??

Anybody deciding who Richt and/or Kirby Smart are as head coaches for Miami and UGA are premature, IMO. It's way too early ...

Brady Hoke looked like a great hire at Michigan after his 1st season ... And then, reality set in.

Chris Petersen didn't look all that great replacing Steve Sarkisian at Washington, but now look at them Huskies!

I know this is "message board stuff" ... But I hope folks are being rational in their real lives about this Canes football program, and know that Richt deserves 3 years to get things right.

And if he doesn't get it fixed ... That's right around the time the contract terms will probably be favorable for us to make another move.

Advertisement

There is a quote about trash, treasure and another man.

Advertisement

There is a quote about trash, treasure and another man.

LOL this had me legit laughing out loud.

But I hope folks are being rational in their real lives about this Canes football program, and know that Richt deserves 3 years to get things right.

Explain why it takes 3 years.

Because I think Richt is more Chris Petersen than I think he's Urban or Saban.

And it's taken Petersen 3 years to get things going the way he wants in Washington. ... Even though Sarkisian left him a 9-win team, that was 25th in the country.

But I hope folks are being rational in their real lives about this Canes football program, and know that Richt deserves 3 years to get things right.

And it's taken Petersen 3 years to get things going the way he wants in Washington. ... Even though Sarkisian left him a 9-win team, that was 25th in the country.

Mark Rickt did less with much much more than Petersen who was kicking major programs asses at freakin Boise State. Not really a comparison.

Oh so Chris Petersen proves you only need 3 years? Are you really saying this?

Our program isn't in bad shape. Our program has the talent. Our coach can't coach an offense. Not sure why this relates to Chris Petersen other then you're praying that because it took one coach 3 seasons, it should take Richt 3 season.

So what we're saying is that he needs to realize this and bring in a competent OC and let them coach. That is all. This doesn't take 3 years.

Advertisement
Back