Why Can't We Be Gonzaga?

hotshot

Sophomore
Anyone see the Zags knock off mighty Duke today, 89-87. With nary a 5 star on their squad.

Gonzaga is a small, Catholic school in Spokane, Washington. Basically the middle of nowhere. Yet, Mark Few has them nationally competitive every freakin' year. Mainly by supplementing a couple good HS/JuCo/Xsfers with Aussies, Euros and Canadians.

I guess I look at Butler with Mark Stevens (and his successor), and Gonzaga (with Few) and wonder, "If they can do it ...??"

Advertisement
Okay. It's college basketball, any team truly can beat any other team, unlike football, it's not just a cliche. Short rest, unequal motivation and in this case the time zone played in Gonzaga's advantage.

I'm just focused on what Jim Larranaga and his team can do this season, and if history repeats itself, we will give Duke all we can handle this year, just like most other seasons.

Okay. It's college basketball, any team truly can beat any other team, unlike football, it's not just a cliche. Short rest, unequal motivation and in this case the time zone played in Gonzaga's advantage.

I'm just focused on what Jim Larranaga and his team can do this season, and if history repeats itself, we will give Duke all we can handle this year, just like most other seasons.
Uh, even with Hernandez, probably not; without him, we have zero chance. Who is gonna defend Barrett and Williamson?

Consigliere, thanks for the correction on Brad Stevens. And, for the info/thread on the Wooden Classic.

Did I miss something in which Miami has consistently competed in the toughest conference in the country year in and year out? Listening to the OP, you'd think Miami didn't beat Duke and UNC on a regular basis. Oh wait, Miami beats Duke and UNC on a regular basis during the L era, in fact L has been .500 or better against both programs throughout his tenure. Yes, Gonzaga is able to roll through a garbage WCC, and then go on runs in the tournament, but people forget the years upon years of them flaming out in the round of 32. . It took Few a long time to be more than "That mid major that racks up 30+ wins but doesn't do diddly squat in the tournament.".

That's at a school in which basketball is THE sport.

Advertisement
I took the difference in leagues into account. We hold our own against UNC and Duke but fail to capitalize on that by losing to Wake, Clemson and the like. Gonzaga doesn't get its 3-5 seed every Tourney because they play in a weak league. And, we have a big advantage by being MUCH closer to rich recruiting territories (that balances out some of the "easy league" advantage Gonzaga has).

All I'm saying is that if a small school in the hinterlands can ANNUALLY be this good (they never rebuild), it's a realistic goal for UM too. That's a positive message, not a knock!

Gonzaga almost blew it at the end. Four straight missed FTs but, held on! Their lead was as high as 16 in the second half.

Advertisement
Gonzaga almost blew it at the end. Four straight missed FTs but, held on! Their lead was as high as 16 in the second half.

Not to mention that the game means **** this early in the season anyway....much like Auburn doesn't suck for losing to Duke, but will only get better.

Gonzaga is like that hidden gem out west that coaches them up and gets a lot of under the radar guys...always have.

I took the difference in leagues into account. We hold our own against UNC and Duke but fail to capitalize on that by losing to Wake, Clemson and the like. Gonzaga doesn't get its 3-5 seed every Tourney because they play in a weak league. And, we have a big advantage by being MUCH closer to rich recruiting territories (that balances out some of the "easy league" advantage Gonzaga has).

All I'm saying is that if a small school in the hinterlands can ANNUALLY be this good (they never rebuild), it's a realistic goal for UM too. That's a positive message, not a knock!

Of course Miami can lose to team like Wake and Clemson. That's the challenge of playing in a league worth a ****. You don't have a bunch of crap that is incapable of beating you. It's a grind, and one bad night can be capitalized on. Remember, Clemson made the tournament last year, and have been a tough out for years.

Gonzaga, like Boise State in football play a couple of teams worth a **** OOC, and then are able to cruise through a collection of trash in conference play. That's why despite them having top 4 seeds year in and year out have ONE Final Four appearance. Stevens on the other hand managed to get 2 in a far shorter span. Even a guy like Shaka Smart got 1 FF appearance, and that's despite not having nearly as many bites at the apple. Few is a **** good coach, but I think he's entering the overrated phase, because people have conveniently forgotten the years upon years of Gonzaga underperforming when faced with legit competition.

St. Mary's is usually the only conference opponent Gonzaga plays every year that's any good.

Randy Bennett at St. Marys is an underrated coach. That's a guy that I would love to see get a shot, and he would be one of the first calls I would make when L decides to hang it up. He has some outstanding international recruiting connections, and at a place like Miami, that would be huge. Outstanding teacher, **** good talent developer. Those are the things you need at Miami, because you can't rely on outtalenting other teams on a regular basis.

Advertisement
Gonzaga recruitment is way better than ever though. When they played UNC it was obvious they turned the corner, wasn't the same ole overrated Zags. Same with Nova the prior year. If we had that atmosphere every game, and the only sport that mattered, we could be. Basketball has always been the third wheel here.

Did I miss something in which Miami has consistently competed in the toughest conference in the country year in and year out? Listening to the OP, you'd think Miami didn't beat Duke and UNC on a regular basis. Oh wait, Miami beats Duke and UNC on a regular basis during the L era, in fact L has been .500 or better against both programs throughout his tenure. Yes, Gonzaga is able to roll through a garbage WCC, and then go on runs in the tournament, but people forget the years upon years of them flaming out in the round of 32. . It took Few a long time to be more than "That mid major that racks up 30+ wins but doesn't do diddly squat in the tournament.".

That's at a school in which basketball is THE sport.
No disputing all that but frustration not breaking through yet. Had the talent on a couple of teams, all these transfers never suiting up is killing us.

A point I was trying to make was that Gonzaga is doing it WITHOUT McDonald's HSAAs. They were never in the running for the Vernon Carey, Jrs, Zion Williamson's, all those UK AAs, etc. Mark Few has realized that Canada, Australia and Europe are VERY fertile recruiting grounds where the prospective recruits could not care less that the school is located in Spokane, WA.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back