Why can't the blame fall everywhere?

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Why do some blame just Kaaya? Or just the OL? Or just Richt?

Kaaya has not looked good. Whether it's the coaching, whether it's his shoulder, whether it's his cement feet, whether it's his OL, whether that he was overrated, he's having an average year.

The OL is dog****. No way around that.

Richt is not calling good games, and not game planning well. Some of that has to do with Kaaya, some of that has to do with the ****** OL, some of it looks worse because our WRs and TEs drop a lot of passes, but some or a lot is on Richt himself. He is stubborn and he's called conservative games. Now we get to see if he breaks away from it, or if this is what we get.

One thing that's being discarded because everyone (rightfully hates Golden) is lack of depth. People say it's an excuse. Fine, it's an excuse, but it's a ******* valid excuse. We started the game against UNC with 66 scholarship players. I-A teams get 85. I-AA teams get 65. We started the ******* game with 1 more scholarship player than a I-AA team. During the game we had 6 players get injured. Jackson, Thomas and Redwine did not return. We finished the game with 63 scholarship players. Do we have more talent than UNC? Probably, but not 1-85....BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE 85 SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS. We lost Cager, AQM, Grace before the season. Now we lost Sonny for the season (likely). Willis has missed 2 games. Bruce (whether he was going to be good or not) was supposed to come in and contribute, is gone and never contributed to an already thin WR corps.

I'm sure some of you will say I'm just making excuses. Fine, go ahead. I have no idea if Richt will turn it around, but look at the entire picture. It's not all Richt. He needs to take heat. He does. But there are other reasons we're 4-2 right now. It's not just Richt's play calling (or lack thereof).

Advertisement
Also, Richt basically said today in his teleconference that he's reluctant to call deep passes because the OL sucks and Kaaya will get killed.

Pretty much the same way i feel at this point. There are questions that need to be asked but i think richt is smarter than our last 3 coaches and will get it fixed.

Ive been very high on kaaya but he has not looked good this year. The oline is really bad and deserves alot of blame but kaaya is struggling.

Advertisement
Also, Richt basically said today in his teleconference that he's reluctant to call deep passes because the OL sucks and Kaaya will get killed.

Lu made a good counterpoint to this, though. You don't have to spend 20 seconds in the pocket to get a decent deep ball off. You can manufacture it with route combos and such. Not saying that makes it as easy as a ten yard out, but even a few tries could soften up the box a little.

Lu made a good counterpoint to this, though. You don't have to spend 20 seconds in the pocket to get a decent deep ball off. You can manufacture it with route combos and such. Not saying that makes it as easy as a ten yard out, but even a few tries could soften up the box a little.

I'm not defending Richt, at least not all out, but at times our OL doesn't give Kaaya 3 seconds.

I'm not defending Richt, at least not all out, but at times our OL doesn't give Kaaya 3 seconds.

See the Darling "lookout" block to seal the defeat

Advertisement
I'll agree, there's plenty of blame to go around. Poor gameplan/play calling. An offensive line that can't run block or pass block consistently. A QB who's rushing into poor throws. Receivers who drop at least 4 passes a game. A lack of available scholarship depth. Unfortunately, some of those problems are not easy fixes. The coaches have to play with the hand they're dealt. They need to do a better job of making what they have work instead of trying to force what they want to do on a group of guys who seemingly aren't capable of doing it.

I'll agree, there's plenty of blame to go around. Poor gameplan/play calling. An offensive line that can't run block or pass block consistently. A QB who's rushing into poor throws. Receivers who drop at least 4 passes a game. A lack of available scholarship depth. Unfortunately, some of those problems are not easy fixes. The coaches have to play with the hand they're dealt. They need to do a better job of making what they have work instead of trying to force what they want to do on a group of guys who seemingly aren't capable of doing it.

Yes

I'm All In!!! I maybe alone but I think Richt will get it together starting Thursday night. We can still win the Coastal with a little help and even if we don't I'm still All In.

I hate blaming players because if it is their fault then the NC should show them the pine. I little pine on the backside, either still or motion type, is a great motivator. Although I wanted Butch, I really want to give Mark a chance. At this point he disappoints me. The question is now whether he makes changes to correct the problem or goes into Golden mode of "it is a process". I never like his offensive staffing but that is his decision. If he sticks with it then that is his fault.

We have a QB who certainly looks like he fell off a cliff. We have coaches son starting at the frigging top of profession as QB coach at QB U without even being a decent qb in college. Truthfully, Mark wasn't much of one either but his first frigging job was not QB coach at Miami. I don't even know who the OC is! Most have been heck of a big name. Clearly Mark's personal genius for offense has not been enough to gloss over these two guys. Mark made a mistake bringing his son and taking a real coaching spot up. He needs to be fired now and replace with real coach.

Advertisement

Ugghh, I hope he didn't say that.

The pass blocking was actually not bad vs UNC overall. And deep shots don't have to take that much time to develop.

What an intelligent, well thought out post! Thank you for the adult in the room.

FWIW, the whole scholarship paragraph sounds like something Golden had been saying to the press for the last few years.

Advertisement
The 2 Losses have been on Richt's playcalling, Kaaya's inaccuracy + late reads & the horrendous OL.

Coach Diaz will receive a 100% pass from me this season, even if we get blown out some time down the line, I will not criticize him whatsoever, simply based on the great job he's done so far.

The rest of the staff I'm good with... I'm not sold on Dugan's recruiting yet, but otherwise I'm okay with everything else.

And Richt better hire a **** OC after the season... Don't wanna hear sh*t about it'll be different with Perry or Allison, don't care...
He's a good Head Coach, but regardless of how this season turns out we absolutely 100% without question need an OC.

This. It also opens up comeback/stop routes (which UNC DBs were all over).

We have a U on our helmet so we should just automatically win immediately. That's what some would have you believe and thus their postings. Thanks for the well thought out post, but unfortunately it'll fall on many a deaf ear. The worst part of that, most of the biggest complainers know nothing about the game.

Advertisement
Back