Why are we not going hard after LBs

kperez4446

Sophomore
We only have 1 impact backer on the team and he's a senior. I hope the out of state guys we brought in are studs and can start right away because Kirby, Armbrister, Figueroa have not shown impact ability to me. Decent role guys but not beasts by any means.

Advertisement
We only have 1 impact backer on the team and he's a senior. I hope the out of state guys we brought in are studs and can start right away because Kirby, Armbrister, Figueroa have not shown impact ability to me. Decent role guys but not beasts by any means.

Figueroa was a freshman and I personally think he's going to be a stud

Just WITF are u talking about?

2 are already enrolled: MIKE Juwon Young, and hybrid DE/OLB Trent Harris.

OLB Darrion Owens, hybrid DE/OLB Mike Smith, hybrid DE/OLB Demetrius Jackson, LB Terry McCray are all committed.

Seems the staff went hard after LBs to me.

I agree we need another pure linebacker, preferably a JUCO who could earn playing time right away. We still recruiting Derricott? Or has he already signed with Kansas st

I agree we need another pure linebacker, preferably a JUCO who could earn playing time right away. We still recruiting Derricott? Or has he already signed with Kansas st

I was all about a JUCO LB and would still take one, but the urgency was because most felt Perryman was gone. Now with him back, its just not as big of a deal.

Advertisement

OLB Darrion Owens, hybrid DE/OLB Mike Smith, hybrid DE/OLB Demetrius Jackson, LB Terry McCray are all committed.

Add that with Figs and Grace last year and that's a reeeeaaall solid 2 years for LB's.

I was all about a JUCO LB and would still take one, but the urgency was because most felt Perryman was gone. Now with him back, its just not as big of a deal.

I still think we need a juco LB we got perryman and a bunch of unknowns. I don't want armbrister playing significant snaps, Kirby looked real lost last year he needs a huge jump. I'd like to see Blue get a chance to start at MLB. **** I wouldn't be surprised if they moved perryman back to middle to help keep everybody lined up. Grace and figs have potential. I'm not counting on any freshman hybrids to make an impact except for occasional 3rd down rush. So that's perryman, grace, figs, Kirby, and mayb blue. 1 more pure LB wouldn't hurt

Agree. I think Blue and Grace will have an impact before it's all said and done, not to mention the two LBs already enrolled.

Last edited:

I still think we need a juco LB we got perryman and a bunch of unknowns. I don't want armbrister playing significant snaps, Kirby looked real lost last year he needs a huge jump. I'd like to see Blue get a chance to start at MLB. **** I wouldn't be surprised if they moved perryman back to middle to help keep everybody lined up. Grace and figs have potential. I'm not counting on any freshman hybrids to make an impact except for occasional 3rd down rush. So that's perryman, grace, figs, Kirby, and mayb blue. 1 more pure LB wouldn't hurt

Yeah but you cant just assume that the JUCO guy is gonna be an improvement. Its such a crapshoot with those guys. I do agree if a JUCO guy that the staff feels is good wants in, take him. The thing with Perryman coming back is that our LBs are gonna be the best we have had here in a couple of years. Yes I realize that we are talking about the tallest midget here. Armbrister isnt a starter but the guy can provide a couple of snaps a game. If anything the guy who I think may end up a lost cause here is Blue. In a 4-3 I see it as Perryman, Kirby and Figs with Grace and Armbrister as the subs. In a 3-4 you just add the Jacks in there. I dont think that is awful. Also remember with all the new offenses out there, we rarely need to be in our base package anyway and should play a bunch of nickel, yes I realize that Dorito needs to get that memo. On the topic of Perryman in the middle, I just think you leave him where he is best. The staff recruited Kirby to be the MLB of the future and they should ride with their choice....

Advertisement
Remember we run multiple scheme so we don't just recruit traditional LBs anymore we also recruit a lot of hybrid/ gardeners which is what we have in this class in Jackson, McCray, Mike Smith, Trent Harris.

Yep, in the 4-3 we are pretty good at LB this year.

Perryman Kirby and Figs is a strong group with both size and athleticism.

Grace and Perryman in the nickel. Problem is 4-3 makes it tough for McCord and AQM to get on the field in base defense unless they bulk up to the mid 250s and take over at DE. Both would have issues with the run vs. OTs in that situation, though.

In the 3-4, they are great fits at OLB and in fact there would be a ton of rush end/hybrid types for that role coming in with Harris/Jackson/Thomas. But some of our 4-3 OLB types like Grace, Figs, Owens etc. would be miscast at ILb having to shed guards all the time.

Last edited:
Yep, in the 4-3 we are pretty good at LB this year.

Perryman Kirby and Figs is a strong group with both size and athleticism.

Grace and Perryman in the nickel. Problem is 4-3 makes it tough for McCord and AQM to get on the field in base defense unless they bulk up to the mid 250s and take over at DE. Both would have issues with the run vs. OTs in that situation, though.

In the 3-4, they are great fits at OLB and in fact there would be a ton of rush end/hybrid types for that role coming in with Harris/Jackson/Thomas. But some of our 4-3 OLB types like Grace, Figs, Owens etc. would be miscast at ILb having to shed guards all the time.

The way I see it the 4-3 and 3-4 LBs are the exact same, except that in the 3-4 you add the Jack as one extra OLB. Yes Ideally you dont want a kid of Grace's size playing in a 3-4 but outside of FSU I dont think this should get exposed as an issue. Key word should....
Figs is gonna be plenty big for the 3-4. I see it as the Jack, Perryman, Kirby, and Figs on the outside. Remember that in the 3-4 that second inside guy who would be Perryman or sometimes Grace is the WLB and the guy that will be required to cover somebody.

Last edited:

So was Grace and I expect him to be exceptional too.

Advertisement
We don't need linebackers when we have minimally quick Defensive Tackles/Defensive Ends to fill their roll on the field.

Antonio Kinard? I believe we will probably land him if he's qualified.

Advertisement

Dude is trolling like a mother.

red-shirt soph. that's about the time a Beamer commit shows his face, let's hope Blue is coming on now.

Return of Perryman is huge and negates need to bring in JUCO linebacker. Worry I have is with Fig. Some concern that shoulder injury is related to one he had in HS and puts future in doubt. Anyone have any inside info?

Advertisement
Back