Why are our offensive line coaches always do bad?

Our OLine coaching since the Dennis Erickson days has generally been terrible.

Under Butch Davis and Larry Coker, Art Kehoe was terrible.

Mario Cristobal in Coker’s last year seemed okayish. The job market thought he was good, and he went to being an FBS head coach after just one year as OL coach.

Stoutland under Shannon seemed okayish. The job market thought he was good, and he gained jobs with Nick Saban, and then in the NFL.

Art Kehoe under Golden was awful again.

Stacey Searles under Richt somehow found a way to be even more awful than Kehoe.

Butch Barry is somehow finding a way to be even worse than Stacey Searles.

Seriously, counting Kehoe twice, there have been 2 mediocre OL coaches, and 3 god awful ones. The 2 mediocre ones have done rather well on the job market, despite not seeming that good in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
Recruiting and evals, when we find studs they go elsewhere. When we get hidden gems they stay hidden and they weren’t gems just plain ole rocks. Hard to identify studs now in all seriousness, when we identified 80’s and 90’s they were studs who most didn’t know about. Now with camps and social media the blue bloods know who’s who and get them, gems are super rare now. We need a HC who can identify and close, he has to be elite at both those categories if we are ever to be elite again.

Mario Cristobal in Coker’s last year seemed okayish. The job market thought he was good, and he went to being an FBS head coach after just one year as OL coach.

Stoutland under Shannon seemed okayish. The job market thought he was good, and he gained jobs with Nick Saban, and then in the NFL.

Stacey Searles under Richt somehow found a way to be even more awful than Kehoe.

Seriously, counting Kehoe twice, there have been 2 mediocre OL coaches, and 3 god awful ones. The 2 mediocre ones have done rather well on the job market, despite not seeming that good in Coral Gables.

Because we always want more out of our O-Line. I recall seeing Jacory with all the time in the world to make some of those throws, but people only focused on when we failed to pick up a block. Stoutland moved on to greener pastures. Outside of that, it is mostly talent. None of our coachescan recruit enough O linemen to have a full 3 deep at any position.

If only the coaches realize and start to turn their attention in the efforts in recruiting great OL across the states as if they were recruiting South Florida 5 stars in our backyard . We would of had 3 ACC chips by now! We may be fast but we cannot push anyone around and it shows.

( Always hear my uncles say as a kid " boy I can't catch you but when I get a hold of you its wrap young blood! ) lol

GO CANES!

Define awful? I don't remember an Art Kehoe line ever giving up more than 4 sacks in a game.

Advertisement

Totally impossible to determine at this point whether Barry is good or not. Just a ridiculous statement on your part.

Advertisement
I do not think Barry is a Bad OL Coach at all and if he is giving the chance, I think he will be able to develop a good Oline here. Here are a few notes that I would like to add on the Oline subject:

1. I think I read somewhere that at Wisconsin they play O-linemen after they have been in the S&C program for at least 1-2 years, no Fresh. That is huge man. Zion nelson had to hurry up and Add weight in a matter of 2 to 3 months.

2. I think the recruiting Strategy needs to change very quickly for this next cycle. UM should bring in a minimum of 4 legetimate OT's and at least one should be a Grad Transfer, or Juco. They should also bring in at least 3 Big Enough Athletic enough Guards and at least 1 should be a Juco or Grad Transfer.

3. They are trying to run a Power Offensive Scheme, like a Wisconsin or Iowa and that is harder and we have 18 yr. old few months out of HS guy trying to do this.

4. They need to really expand the states where we go after O-line from. Can not afford to wait on one specific S. Florida prospect that is not 100% sure coming to UM.

Just a suspicion, but Stoutland was and is a little better than "okayish.'' Probably one of the better OL coaches in the NFL.

Just a suspicion, but Stoutland was and is a little better than "okayish.'' Probably one of the better OL coaches in the NFL.

Nobody was that impressed with him at Miami. People only think he was good in retrospect, because of the job offers he’s gotten.

Before he ever came here, Stoutland had already produced good OLs at Syracuse and Michigan State. The Lines he had in his last 2 years here we’re pretty good, and the linemen he left Kehoe were reasonably talented too.

Kehoe imo was just an average-at-best OL coach who benefited from having An incredible talent evaluator in Butch yay-ing or nay-Ing our OL takes in recruiting. Our lines under Kehoe the first few years (end of Erickson and first couple years of Butch) were arguably the weak links of those offenses as much as QB.

From 98-2003, we fielded good to outstanding OLs with players recruited under Butch. It was no coincidence that starting in 04 the line began to fall apart and imploded after 2005.

Advertisement
lol. The running joke was did Ken Dorsey even know what a sack was! lol. Yet the OL was bad. lol. Hilarious.

The 2001 Oline was the only good line under Kehoe. And that was because he had a Butch Davis built roster.

Kehoe was better than Searles, but that isn’t saying a lot.

I do not think Barry is a Bad OL Coach at all and if he is giving the chance, I think he will be able to develop a good Oline here. Here are a few notes that I would like to add on the Oline subject:

1. I think I read somewhere that at Wisconsin they play O-linemen after they have been in the S&C program for at least 1-2 years, no Fresh. That is huge man. Zion nelson had to hurry up and Add weight in a matter of 2 to 3 months.

2. I think the recruiting Strategy needs to change very quickly for this next cycle. UM should bring in a minimum of 4 legetimate OT's and at least one should be a Grad Transfer, or Juco. They should also bring in at least 3 Big Enough Athletic enough Guards and at least 1 should be a Juco or Grad Transfer.

3. They are trying to run a Power Offensive Scheme, like a Wisconsin or Iowa and that is harder and we have 18 yr. old few months out of HS guy trying to do this.

4. They need to really expand the states where we go after O-line from. Can not afford to wait on one specific S. Florida prospect that is not 100% sure coming to UM.

No. 1 on your talking points is " partly true and partly false. " For example, mighty Wisconsin has had a TRUE Freshmen starting on the O-line and a RS-Freshmen. I believe they had that true freshmen starting against Miami in the 2017 Orange Bowl game.

And your suggestion about Miami going to other states for offensive linemen is a good idea, but A LOT of those 4-Star dudes DON'T care for South Florida. That includes their parents.

By the way, WHY did Diaz and Berry pursue a kid who played only ONE season of varsity football? The kid was MAINLY a HS basketball player! And he didn't even come from a HS which is KNOWN for football. Man, this doesn't make one iota sense at all. Like this Cane fan mentioned. At least recruit a JUCO player. Because the JUCO at least played high school football. dUh

Advertisement
No. 1 on your talking points is " partly true and partly false. " For example, mighty Wisconsin has had a TRUE Freshmen starting on the O-line and a RS-Freshmen. I believe they had that true freshmen starting against Miami in the 2017 Orange Bowl game.

And your suggestion about Miami going to other states for offensive linemen is a good idea, but A LOT of those 4-Star dudes DON'T care for South Florida. That includes their parents.

By the way, WHY did Diaz and Berry pursue a kid who played only ONE season of varsity football? The kid was MAINLY a HS basketball player! And he didn't even come from a HS which is KNOWN for football. Man, this doesn't make one iota sense at all. Like this Cane fan mentioned. At least recruit a JUCO player. Because the JUCO at least played high school football. dUh

You still have to recruit out of state as well, for the most the Oline coaching in Broward and Miami Dade county in the public schools is not that good and Weight Training is not taking as serious as it was 20-30 years ago.

You may not get a lot of Out of State Olinemen but you still have to try.

The 2001 Oline was the only good line under Kehoe. And that was because he had a Butch Davis built roster.

Kehoe was better than Searles, but that isn’t saying a lot.
I guess you forgot those lines that Edgerrin James ran behind in 1998. Our line in 1999 was darn good as well. 2000 was good enough to win a title. 2002 was no slouch either. Coker then went and recruited a bunch of softies and the rest is history. Kehoe did a good job when he had talent to work with, and an OC that had a decent offensive identity.

Every starting OL from 2010-2012 played multiple years of professional football, whether it be practice squad or active roster or CFL. Meanwhile, I think I saw Clemson doesn’t have a single OL on an NFL roster right now. Plus, the 2010 team led the ACC in Total O. I know the Shannon years weren’t great, but there were some good things. Stoutland was one of them.

Advertisement
Back