Who's the AD at Baylor?

Advertisement
Mack Rhoades (Baylor), Rick Hart (SMU), and Doug Gillin (App State) would all be really interesting options. I don't have much to go off of outside of them running really strong programs. I feel like Mack would be tough to pull from Baylor boosters but the others should definitely be doable.

Gillin may be at the top considering he led App State from FCS and FBS and hasn't skipped a beat.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The biggest kick in the pants is that Clemson's AD is a UM alum. We had three bites at the apple to hire him and he was probably never considered at any point. Granted, a large part of it was tied to Dabo getting that to where it is, but what if.

Advertisement
You may want to do some more research.
If you are focusing on the stadium, I think the bigger and maybe only question is what is their campus like vs. ours. The rest is kind of irrelevant. We are pretty much landlocked in a city that has no interest in permitting this. Waco seems much more amenable to pushing this through than Coral Gables, where our basketball stadium still doesn't have all seats installed because of traffic concerns.

If you are focusing on the stadium, I think the bigger and maybe only question is what is their campus like vs. ours. The rest is kind of irrelevant. We are pretty much landlocked in a city that has no interest in permitting this. Waco seems much more amenable to pushing this through than Coral Gables, where our basketball stadium still doesn't have all seats installed because of traffic concerns.
I'm focused on the overall picture. A small private school that's had recent success in the premier sports. I only used the stadium as an example of their investment level.

I'm focused on the overall picture. A small private school that's had recent success in the premier sports. I only used the stadium as an example of their investment level.
I mean, the Soffers cut a massive check for the IPF and if the rumors are true, were ready to cut another one for Mario. If your AD turns away that second half, who is to blame?

Paul DiMare has been spending a fortune on improving our baseball facilities, now that his son is employed by the school to run the program into the ground.

It comes back to the athletic director and board. You can give Blake all of the money in the world, but if he doesn't hire the right coaches it is irrelevant. And as others have said, the BoT needs to find the 5 or 10 board members who care about sports and let them make the big decisions and drive the direction. That way, efforts of the Soffers don't go to waste because a former mayor pulls strings to get his son hired. We have too many people with half baked opinions that drive these decisions.

Advertisement
Rhoades also was at Houston with Tom Herman, although I do not know if he was responsible for hiring him.
He hired Herman. Odom at Mizzou. Rhule & Aranda at Baylor. He was voted the #1 AD in the nation this year. Raised all kinds of $$. Gotten facilities upgraded. Has their academics on point.. and for good measure, won quite a few titles.

Needless to say, he is a pipe dream. Christian man at a baptist college. He ain't leaving for Miami.

The biggest kick in the pants is that Clemson's AD is a UM alum. We had three bites at the apple to hire him and he was probably never considered at any point. Granted, a large part of it was tied to Dabo getting that to where it is, but what if.

We should hire Radakovich's son.

Advertisement
We should hire Radakovich's son.
At this rate, I would hire his unborn grandchild as our AD. Obviously Dan is not leaving Clemson, but maybe he would have a recommendation on names to look at if we get rid of Blake. He got his MBA at UM and worked in Miami through the early to mid 80s. Maybe someone on the board knew him from back then. It sounds crazy but Clemson really needs the other teams in this conference to step up ASAP.

UM has no problem raising money for the areas in which they care to excel, and hasn't for nearly two decades. It's their willingness when it comes to athletics.
Baylor raised 1.1 BILLION dollars since they announced their "Give Light" campaign. More than half privately (alumni) before announcing to the public it was even a thing. It's sprucing up the campus, new basketball arena, other sporting upgrades, etc.

We had to pull teeth (and did backflips) on getting 30 mil for an IPF. We ain't the same.

Baylor raised 1.1 BILLION dollars since they announced their "Give Light" campaign. More than half privately (alumni) before announcing to the public it was even a thing. It's sprucing up the campus, new basketball arena, other sporting upgrades, etc.

We had to pull teeth (and did backflips) on getting 30 mil for an IPF. We ain't the same.
Would you entrust Blake James and his team to spend your money? That aside, when was the athletic department's last large-scale fundraising campaign like the Momentums for the university as a whole? Because just about every AD worth a salt has been doing them in recent years while the market has been up.

Advertisement
Back