Who were the SoFla guys we didn't get that we REALLY wanted?

Below are the Dade, Broward and PB prospects who were nationally ranked by at least one of the three well-known recruiting sites and signed elsewhere.

For the experts here, who would have been on the coaching staff's "A List" from what you know?

Which of these "misses" do you expect to be big-time players in college?

Jerry Jeudy, WR (Alabama)
Trevon Grimes, WR (Ohio State)
Stanford Samuels, DB (fsu)
VanDarius Cowan, LB (Alabama)
Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
Tedarrell Slaton, OL (uf)
Daniel Wright, DB (Alabama)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)

Advertisement
Not an expert, but just going on what I've read here, they obviously liked Jerry Jeudy (who wouldn't). They seemed to like Slaton until he insisted on playing defensive tackle. They seemed lukewarm on Telfort.

Below are the Dade, Broward and PB prospects who were nationally ranked by at least one of the three well-known recruiting sites and signed elsewhere.

For the experts here, who would have been on the coaching staff's "A List" from what you know?

Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)
cross off: Gamble, blackman, telfort.

I think passing on Gamble in favor of out of state Polendry may turn out to be a mistake...could of helped taking the local kid from a school with prospects.

Advertisement
My list is guys who I think will be good players no matter who they signed with & would've taken them if they wanted to come to Miami.

Shawn Davis, Deandre Johnson, Lashawn Paulino-Bell, Cordavien Suggs, Adarius Lemons & Carmoni Green. (Lemons & Suggs ain't South FLA, but still)

With that said, I still really like our class & think the staff pulled in a **** good haul considering the circumstances.

And being all the way real... Out of my list, Suggs, Lemons & Bell are the ones I really really would want lol

Last edited:

Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)

Don't think Miami pursued a few of these guys that hard, namely:
Telfort, Grimes, Samuels, Cowan, Blackman, and Gamble.

All of those guys (minus blackman) are Miami caliber players obviously, but the staff didn't put an extended effort into recruiting any of these guys. Gamble got dropped, and I don't think the staff wanted Blackman. I will also loosely add Slaton to the list, because the staff wanted him as an OL not a DT...while he was determined to be indecisive on what he wanted.

Of the guys you listed, regardless of how they perform in college, in terms of recruiting misses:
Jeudy, Wilson, Wright, Edwards, and Henderson are the ones we put extended effort into and whiffed on. The staff obviously looked at Cowan a few times but I'm sure they avoided him once his problems became more main stream.

Last edited:
I think passing on Gamble in favor of out of state Polendry may turn out to be a mistake...could of helped taking the local kid from a school with prospects.

We have two from last years class faster with a higher ceilings. He wasn't s a priority. The one fsu got was the one we wanted

Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)

Telfort, Grimes, Samuels, Telfort, Cowan, Blackman, and Gamble.

All of those guys (minus blackman) are Miami caliber players obviously, but the staff didn't put an extended effort into recruiting any of these guys. Gamble got dropped, and I don't think the staff wanted Blackman. I will also loosely add Slaton to the list, because the staff wanted him as an OL not a DT...while he was determined to be indecisive on what he wanted.

Of the guys you listed, regardless of how they perform in college, in terms of recruiting misses:
Jeudy, Wilson, Wright, Edwards, and Henderson are the ones we put extended effort into and whiffed on. The staff obviously looked at Cowan a few times but I'm sure they avoided him once his problems became more main stream.

Thanks for the info!

Was Samuels a done deal for Free Shoes?

He was a pretty highly rated prospect for Miami not to pursue hard or did our coaches think he might have been overrated?

All in all, it didn't seem like it was a great year by South Florida's lofty standards.

Is that an accurate assessment?

Advertisement
My dream class for this year would be:

QB(2); The one we have is fine
RB(2); Stephen Carr and Anthony McFarland
FB(1); Robert Burns
TE(2); Brian Polendey and Josh Falo OR Tre McKitty
WR(4); Jerry Jeudy, Devontae Smith, Evidence Njoku, and Jeff Thomas OR Mike Harley
OL(6); Alex Leatherwood, Navaughn Donaldson, Calvin Ashley, Corey Gaynor OR Ceasar Ruiz, Robert Hainsey, and Nick Brahms.
DE(3); DJ Johnson, Hunter Echols, and Jon Garvin
DT(2); Jon Ford and Phidarian Mathis
LB(2); Waynmon Steed and Santino Marchiol OR Dylan Moses
CB(3); Trajan Bandy, Marco Wilson, and Jhavontae Dean
S(3); DJ Dallas, Grant Delpit, and Amari Carter

Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)

Telfort, Grimes, Samuels, Cowan, Blackman, and Gamble.

Thanks for the info!

He was a pretty highly rated prospect for Miami not to pursue hard or did our coaches think he might have been overrated?

All in all, it didn't seem like it was a great year by South Florida's lofty standards.

This is all opinion, and based on what I've read throughout the whole recruiting cycle. Also, I think the staff felt very early that Samuels was all FSU, and didn't want to waste time on him. Same with Trevon Grimes (OSU), but they put a bit more resources into him because at one point he was being receptive to staying in Florida.

Jeudy and 1 or 2 of the dbs. Like coach said yesterday why take a high quantity of players cb this year when you know the 2018 class is the probably the most loaded db class in the last decades.

I'm lazy, but Blackman has no business being on a miss list because Miami didn't go after him and had no reason to do so.

Grimes is the best player we didn't get. That's not commentary on our guys at all, I just think he's an elite player with few to no peers. But he was going to OSU from birth or something.

Advertisement
Alot of wants but I think it's pointless til we see what they actually accomplish I remember people wanting Earmon lane alot and he's amounted to a ham sandwhich on the field.

Kadeem Telfort, OL (uf)
Marco Wilson, DB (uf)
James Blackman, QB (fsu)
Brian Edwards, DB (uf)
Chris Henderson, DB (uf)
Kemore Gamble, TE (uf)

Telfort, Grimes, Samuels, Telfort, Cowan, Blackman, and Gamble.

Thanks for the info!

Samuels was a legacy for FSU.

I'm lazy, but Blackman has no business being on a miss list because Miami didn't go after him and had no reason to do so.

Grimes is the best player we didn't get. That's not commentary on our guys at all, I just think he's an elite player with few to no peers. But he was going to OSU from birth or something.
Grimes is from Indiana & grew up a diehard Oh St fan, people think because he went to STA that he's a South Fla boy, but he's not.

No school in State had a shot with him.

Advertisement
I really only see the following as big misses -

1. Jerry Jeudy, WR (Alabama)
2. Chris Henderson, DB (UF)
3. Tedarrell Slaton, OL (UF)
4. Daniel Wright, DB (Alabama)
5. Brian Edwards, DB (UF)

Gimes - from Indiana, was OSU all along
Samuels - FSU legacy
Cowan - from Illinois, band wagon bama slurper
Wilson - followed his brother to UFag

the others we didn't offer or go hard after

LOL at answering question from North Florida Gator. You guys fall for the banana in the tailpipe every single fūcking time.

Advertisement
Back