Who starts at RT

Boarcane

All ACC
I know Herbert was leading going into camp, but I hear Campbell's making moves. Could I get some O line junkies opinions.

Advertisement
Advertisement
hahahahaha
unbelievable the lack of interest in a two way battle to see who starts game one after a full offseason without a clear winner two weeks out. I’m disappointed that the coaches haven’t told us who’s starting. I hope it’s the one that makes me feel better about myself. 🤦‍♂️ If anyone has a real and educated opinion, I’d truly appreciate it.

While I haven’t heard more than what’s been reported on message boards and other sites, I will say that it’s Herbert’s to lose but as you pointed out, Campbell is making big strides and has closed the gap. Hopefully between these 2 we have a serviceable RT. My preference is to keep the OG’s and C as is now with Scaife, Donaldson, and Gaynor. With Zion holding down the left flank, we might just have the makings of a cohesive, good unit.

Advertisement
While I haven’t heard more than what’s been reported on message boards and other sites, I will say that it’s Herbert’s to lose but as you pointed out, Campbell is making big strides and has closed the gap. Hopefully between these 2 we have a serviceable RT. My preference is to keep the OG’s and C as is now with Scaife, Donaldson, and Gaynor. With Zion holding down the left flank, we might just have the makings of a cohesive, good unit.
Our OL is built for downblocking and smashing DTs. Donaldson is a unit at LG and Scaife is no joke either. I imagine we will see many a DT blown right off the ball with double teams before our guards release and smash a linebacker. Both guards have the feet to get to the next level.

Add in an offense running from the 12 set and we should have a dynamic looking interior run game with Cam and DJ.

LT Zion Nelson/John Campbell
LG Navaughn Donaldson/Cleveland Reed
C Corey Gaynor/ Jakai Clark
RG DJ Scaife/ Zalontae Hillery
RT John Campbell/ Kai-Leon Herbert

Last edited:
Our OL is built for downblocking and smashing DTs. Donaldson is a unit at LG and Scaife is no joke either. I imagine we will see many a DT blown right off the ball with double teams before our guards release and smash a linebacker. Both guards have the feet to get to the next level.

Add in an offense running from the 12 set and we should have a dynamic looking interior run game with Cam and DJ.
Great answer. Thank you! I imagine us running right up the middle against almost everyone. I’m going to guess that the tackles will need speed to drive the ends down and not in. I wonder if either of the two suits a certain style of play over the other. Is one know to be better pass or run blocker over the other? Does one lend himself to setting the pocket for a more classic drop back QB or is that a reach on my part?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back