Who Invented the Spread Offense?

Advertisement
I think the fake injuries show just how desperate defenses have gotten to try anything to at least slow teams down. While I don’t think we’ll ever see any specific rule changes that try to make the game more like it used to be. (People love offense) They could enforce some rules a little better that don’t turn every game into a ridiculous shootout. Mostly linemen getting too far downfield from on pass plays and the totally random way holding is enforced.
Furthering my point.

Megan Mullen
kramer laughing GIF by HULU

Advertisement
Don't know if he invented the spread but Mouse Davis has to be one of the forefathers of the spread offense. Call his offense scheme what you want. Dude's offense put up points!!

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
But CFB Caught up to him...and he had no answer...(See BYU & Bama)
Nobody’s offense is 100% unstoppable. Alabama wasn’t the first team that exposed the 1992 offensive line. Arizona shut them down earlier in the season. They just had no running game. Still Erickson had some success in college after Miami. He actually made Oregon State relevant and had some decent offenses at Arizona State. By then, the game was already changing and his offense wasn’t cutting edge anymore.

Thanks for that. He gives a whole lot of credit to Dennis Erickson for inspiring Urban, Mullen and Tiller. We kinda forget how innovative Erickson's offenses were because our defenses were so dominant back then.
Then Bama in the 93 Sugar Bowl happened and it all crumbled down....

I would argue, under the right conditions, the best way to beat the spread is with big hogs up front and a stable of capable backs. Throw in quality WRs....

Natty.

Spread defenses arent built to stop beef and spread offenses cant score sitting on the sideline while the opponent's O is playing ball/clock control.

Somebody is going to figure that out.
I think Bama figured it out.

Nobody’s offense is 100% unstoppable. Alabama wasn’t the first team that exposed the 1992 offensive line. Arizona shut them down earlier in the season. They just had no running game. Still Erickson had some success in college after Miami. He actually made Oregon State relevant and had some decent offenses at Arizona State. By then, the game was already changing and his offense wasn’t cutting edge anymore.
I realize that...and please forgive me...but everything positive he did at UM....He did 10X the damage by what he left, as he Hauled *** outta Hecht in 95....Complete Lack of Institutional Control...Dont get me wrong...I was thrilled with 2 NCs....but I can name a plethora of other coaches who could've done the same thing with the Deep NFL Squad that JJ Left him...

Advertisement
I realize that...and please forgive me...but everything positive he did at UM....He did 10X the damage by what he left, as he Hauled *** outta Hecht in 95....Complete Lack of Institutional Control...Dont get me wrong...I was thrilled with 2 NCs....but I can name a plethora of other coaches who could've done the same thing with the Deep NFL Squad that JJ Left him...
Oh I know. I’m speaking strictly in terms of offensive innovation. A lot of the best offensive minds have had issues as head coaches.

Advertisement
I feel like the spread is the spawn of the run and shoot. And the read option was a modified option, and the RPO came of of that due to how defenses loaded the box against the read option.

But I could be totally wrong. I just feel like we are mixing spread with option. Where does the Air Raid of Texas tech fall in? Was it Leach that initially started that there?

I feel like the spread is the spawn of the run and shoot. And the read option was a modified option, and the RPO came of of that due to how defenses loaded the box against the read option.

But I could be totally wrong. I just feel like we are mixing spread with option. Where does the Air Raid of Texas tech fall in? Was it Leach that initially started that there?
The video talks about all of it. The option routes which are run by everyone in college football now originated with the run and shoot. The Air Raid was originally developed by Hal Mumme at Iowa Weslyland and then Valdosta State. Mike Leach was an assistant at both spots. The zone read was accidentally discovered by Rich Rodriguez but read option plays with man blocking schemes go back to the 40’s. The only thing he misses in the video is the development of the RPO. He says he forgot all about it until he was editing the video.

The video talks about all of it. The option routes which are run by everyone in college football now originated with the run and shoot. The Air Raid was originally developed by Hal Mumme at Iowa Weslyland and then Valdosta State. Mike Leach was an assistant at both spots. The zone read was accidentally discovered by Rich Rodriguez but read option plays with man blocking schemes go back to the 40’s. The only thing he misses in the video is the development of the RPO. He says he forgot all about it until he was editing the video.
Oh nice! I didn’t have time to watch it, but will later. Thanks for the explanation.

Advertisement
Back