Who do you think of

I can’t really remember if at the time I ever actually knew the “reason”, other than it was a combination of both of all of this, being his body type coupled with our team mascot and the fact that he was ferocious on the field. Granted, we’ve had some really great players over the years, names we could all list very easily, but how many actually have an annual NFL award named after them? Just the Mad Stork.
My years at UM overlapped with Hendricks. I couldn't tell you why he got the nickname but he did not have it in his first two years playing for the Canes!

While playing for the UM Freshman team (NCAA rules prevented Frosh from playing for the Varsity until their Soph year), he was an Offensive End. He was a pass-catching nightmare for opposing defenses. The next year he was moved to DE.

Advertisement
My favorite UM player as a kid

View attachment 238036

A couple quick Ottis Anderson questions for my Cane brothas even older than me 😄

1. Did any of y'all see him play at Forest Hill in the early to mid-1970's? What kind of player was he in high school (I had kinda forgotten he was from PB County)?

2. How you would compare Anderson (1975-78) and Chuck Foreman (1970-72) from their Canes days? Cool that both were first-round picks and Pro Bowlers in the NFL

One last thing and I'll stfu in this thread,

Assuming it's not just an artist's rendering, can we PLEASE bring back these jerseys for a throwback game?

These are tight

372535.jpg

A couple quick Ottis Anderson questions for my Cane brothas even older than me 😄

1. Did any of y'all see him play at Forest Hill in the early to mid-1970's? What kind of player was he in high school (I had kinda forgotten he was from PB County)?

2. How you would compare Anderson (1975-78) and Chuck Foreman (1970-72) from their Canes days? Cool that both were first-round picks and Pro Bowlers in the NFL
When I 1st moved to FL in 1974, I lived in West Palm Bch for 6months before moving to Ft Myers/Cape Coral. I went to Roosevelt Jr High for 6 months, when OJ was a Sr in HS. Lots of Colleges wanted him. From what I can remember, He was very good. My freshman yr at North Ft Myers HS was his frosh yr at UM.

Advertisement
When I 1st moved to FL in 1974, I lived in West Palm Bch for 6months before moving to Ft Myers/Cape Coral. I went to Roosevelt Jr High for 6 months, when OJ was a Sr in HS. Lots of Colleges wanted him. From what I can remember, He was very good. My freshman yr at North Ft Myers HS was his frosh yr at UM.
The Velt

I saw them both several times but it’s been 50 years or more ago. From what I can remember, both were about the same size but Ottis was more powerful. Chuck was more finesse. In the NFL, Ottis had twice as many rushing yards as Chuck but Chuck had a lot of receptions and receiving TD’s

Both were all time UM greats

Advertisement
Yessir....Lived off of Executive Center Dr down from the old FPL Bldg
I went to the Velt for a year and worked right off Exec for 4 years. Grew up south of Southern Blvd right by the Flanigan's and Berto's Bait & Tackle, and across the bridge from our rich friends in Palm Beach.

Otis was already at Miami when my Dad moved to WPB in 1976.

I went to the Velt for a year and worked right off Exec for 4 years. Grew up south of Southern Blvd right by the Flanigan's and Berto's Bait & Tackle, and across the bridge from our rich friends in Palm Beach.

Otis was already at Miami when my Dad moved to WPB in 1976.
Me, my Mom and Sister lived at The Pavillion at the end of Exec. Cntr Dr.

Advertisement
Had the great honor of being a kid standing on the sidelines at practice during OJ's time and also Foreman's at the U. It was great growing up in Miami back then. Both of these players were quite good in such a different era of football

The Stork 💯 and Jerome was PHENOMENAL
Just what Jerome did at the UM/OU game in 86 at the Pre-game coin toss is the Greatest Boss move in UM History. Lol at telling a ref "We're the Boss"....the yr before @ OU he told the Ref at the coin-toss...."We don't need to toss the coin...just give them the ball at the 50...and let's get this **** game started. The epitome of Savage...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back