Which one of you were these guys?

Advertisement
When Hard Rock is at full throat, aka the ND game in 2017, it's a **** of a home-field advantage. The renovations (stands closer to the field, field level raised, the roof) really made a HUGE difference compared to how it was when we moved in.

All that being said, nothing will ever touch the OB.

I have a close friend who played at FSU in the 90s. He grew up in a VERY bad neighborhood in VA, he told me when he was a kid they would have to pick up used needles off the field before the games, there'd be homeless people passed out when they got there, etc.

He grew up there, and played at FSU for 4 years at their height when they went into some seriously crazy atmospheres. He told me the only time he was ever scared at any point surrounding a football game was his first time at the OB. And he wasn't the only one. He told me verbatim, "We lost before we even got off the bus." Said the entire bus got egged on the way in, the fans rocked it back and forth and everyone on it was ****ting their pants, then he said when the walked out to just lightly warm up more than an hour before pregame, the west endzone was already packed and people were saying the worst **** he's ever heard in his life. They were absolutely petrified. Sorry, that will NEVER be replicated. I said it in 2007 and I'll say it for the rest of my life, the OB coming down was the worst thing to ever happen to this program, it will never be the same for the rest of time, and a GIGANTIC piece of the program died with that building. It was the most magical place I've ever been.

Cuddy; NOTHING and I literally mean NOTHING HRS can do to bring back the vibe of the OB, imo. Now I’ll be straight; I’ve not been to HRS since the renovations, but even looking at the games on TV, from the color scheme of the seats, our end zones graphics, the fan enthusiasm....it all still feels off. Even during that ND game; compared to a ND game at the OB, it felt off.

I really still wish we had our own. I stay on YouTube watching all the old games, and man the nostalgia from the OB is so refreshing. Watched the 08 Canes at Sunlife and my goodness what listless feel.
When that place started vibrating......

Advertisement
View attachment 120791
The freaks always came out at night at the OB. I am watching Houston vs Miami and that place was rocking. Good times.
I was there in the student section. After Miami got rolling, I remember the guy leading cheers...or maybe it was the stadium announcer joking that the Canes might be about to beat Houston by the same amount that they crushed Lousiana Tech by....73-3.

My first UM game was in 1987. My family got season tickets (cheap west end zone of course) in 91 or 92. After a 4 year hiatus in Orlando, I moved home and got season tickets for the 2002 season and have had them since. There was nothing like the Orange Bowl experience for big games. I will say though, the HRS experience, especially after the renovation is a lot better for 41 year old me. Parking in some random guy’s yard and standing outside the stadium for hours to get good general admission seats. Melting in the sun or soaking in the rain while drinking **** warm “beer” on a fiberglass bench that was falling apart, hoping not to get stuck under the overhang where “water” would drip all over you might have been worth it for 22 year old me but now, no thanks. I’ll take the ten minute drive from Hollywood, pre paid parking spot where you can actually tailgate, comfortable seats in the shade, large selection of beers/booze and actual replay screens to see all the angles now. Sure, camping in a tent might be REAL camping but if you give me the option of sleeping in an RV, I’m taking the comfy bed and air conditioning every time.

Priorities change when we get older, pimp. Lol

I remember the City of Miami saying that the cost of renovating the OB was too expensive, a little over $250 million, then they build a
billion dollar stadium that hardly anyone goes to. But DTF has a valid point.
If I remember correctly Joe Robbie built the stadium with government money. Plus our Hurricanes were solid in the OB when Joe Robbie was built.

Editing:
"For their first 21 seasons, the Miami Dolphins played at the Orange Bowl. Joe Robbie, the team founder, explained what led to the decision to build a new stadium. "In 1976, the city of Miami wanted to quadruple our rent. That did it. I began thinking in earnest about building a stadium."[13] What made the construction of the stadium truly unique was that it was the first multipurpose stadium ever built in the United States that was entirely privately financed.[13] "

Nowhere the same...even ND 2017....UM vs ND in 89 has me still Dizzy...
Nothing close for 5 straight hours. Insanity personified. John Routh road a motor scooter around the OB for 2 hours before the game. So many plays, so many memories. 17 ND and 01 Washington not even close, saw them both.

Advertisement
....it all still feels off. Even during that ND game; compared to a ND game at the OB, it felt off......

There was nothing “off“ about that night. And I’ve been to many OB games as well. You had to be there.

When I rewatched on TV, they muffled the crowd noise - you could barely talk to the person next to you for most of that game

Roughly 94% of everyone who bytches about us not playing in the OB anymore have never been to the renovated Hard Rock Stadium.

I was there in 2017 for the VT game and it was insane. It was even more insane for ND a week later. I’ve been to the OB, it was great, it served its purpose, but it was time. Either a complete overhaul was needed or a move to the Rock. One thing is for sure, parking is 100x better now.

Two of the loudest games I remember were 1989 against ECU and 1998 against UCLA with the stadium half full.

HRS is great when packed and rocking but otherwise it's a cavernous circus and it's always raining.

The actual stadium has little to do with the experience of a big game. It's the crowd and the team and the circumstances involved. There's a myth that the team has been in a funk since they moved to HRS but they sucked for quite a while in the Orange Bowl before the move. When the team is good, the crowds show up and especially for a big name opponent the atmosphere is electric. Notre Dame 2017 was the loudest stadium I've ever been in. Of course the atmosphere is crap when the team is 6-4 and they're playing Duke in front of 38,000 people. There's no stadium in the history of time that would make that into a big time atmosphere.

Advertisement
The actual stadium has little to do with the experience of a big game. It's the crowd and the team and the circumstances involved. There's a myth that the team has been in a funk since they moved to HRS but they sucked for quite a while in the Orange Bowl before the move. When the team is good, the crowds show up and especially for a big name opponent the atmosphere is electric. Notre Dame 2017 was the loudest stadium I've ever been in. Of course the atmosphere is crap when the team is 6-4 and they're playing Duke in front of 38,000 people. There's no stadium in the history of time that would make that into a big time atmosphere.

Ridiculous take. The building absolutely plays a major role with noise level. HRS is significantly louder with the roof than without it. Michigan holds 100k but isn’t known for their noise level because of the open structure of the building. If your building is structured to keep the noise level on the field like the OB, Lane stadium, Swamp, etc., it makes a major difference.

Ridiculous take. The building absolutely plays a major role with noise level. HRS is significantly louder with the roof than without it. Michigan holds 100k but isn’t known for their noise level because of the open structure of the building. If your building is structured to keep the noise level on the field like the OB, Lane stadium, Swamp, etc., it makes a major difference.
1st off you’re equating “noise level “ with game experience. There’s a lot more to enjoying a football game than just how loud the crowd is.

Yes, domes or covered stadiums will be louder because the noise reverberates but that’s not to say open stadiums are all quiet. Michigan stadium is very similar in construction to Doak Campbell stadium. It gets quite loud in Tallahassee. Michigan fans are known for not getting loud. I have a friend who’s an alum and he said it’s the quietest 100,000 people in the world. Besides, I don’t care how you build your stadium. If it’s half full and the game is a snooze fest no amount of reverberated noise will make it a great experience.

Additionally the stands were basically on the sidelines! There was nothing close to a revved up crowd in a big game at the OB

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back