Where's our Stephen Ross?

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
The Michigan Daily @michigandaily
BREAKING NEWS: Alum Stephen M. Ross will donate $200 million to the University, according to @WSJ. Largest donation in 'U' history.

http://www.michigandaily.com/article/ross-donate-200-million

Save Dolphins comments for some other thread. According to that link, Ross has given Meeeechigan $313 million since 2004 alone. Some of you old fogie alums must have gone to school with someone that ended up printing money. I would've given Cannon Smith the reins 4 years straight for that purpose alone.

49.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
We had our "Ross".. Just turned out he became a snitch and well, you know the rest.

Man, Ross has Shapiro money in between his couch cushions. He didn't even give all that much money to UM in the grand scheme of things. He mostly failed to deliver on his lofty promises. What I wouldn't give for us to have a billionaire at our disposal and with a ton a free time.

I'm not talking 'bout rich, I'm talking 'bout wealth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m37JkkGjAY

Last edited:
Pretty sure our version just gives the money to the academic area. Not to the football team. ****** doctors and ****. We need that stadium Mane!

As an alum, I can offer my two cents. This is just my own opinion, not sure if things have changed in the past 10 years, not sure if others had the same experience, etc.

Being a small, private school, you would think that the University of Miami would have a more "family atmosphere" with respect to its alumni network. At a large, public institution, you expect to be treated like a number once you graduate. Not at a little school like Miami. Not for what it costs.

However, that was exactly my experience.

When I graduated, I felt the school wanted nothing more to do with me. They did nothing to help me find employment right out of college. Sure, there was a little office with a couple inexperieced students who would help you look over your resume by correcting the grammar and so forth, and sure, there was a job expo on campus which lasted a day or two, but that was the extent of it.

The alumni network was nonexistent and did nothing to help me find my first job. The University itself did nothing but give me the cold shoulder. That was my experience, and it did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth considering how much a UM education costs.

I feel they should do a lot more to help graduating students land jobs in their desired fields. I feel the alumni network should be more engaged and more willing to help new grads get their foot in the door. That was woefully lacking when I graduated.

As it turns out, I ended up getting a very good job, and I make a nice little six figure salary. Somehow, the U found out about it, and NOW they call. NOW the alumni network is interested.

They're quick to come at you, hat in hand, once they see they can get something from you. But when it's their turn to give, they're nowhere to be found.

For a small, private university that calls its alumni network "family," that wasn't the experience I had.

I think UM can do a lot to improve on this front. And maybe they already have, who knows. It's been 10 years since I graduated. I just think they need to do a better job of cultivating those alumni relationships early and often.... not just when the alum has "made it," or it comes across as shallow and phoney and...well.... South Florida materialistic.

UM as a private school can and should develop very tight alumni network, they just don't. If they improved in this area, though, they would find the coffers open up to them not only on the football side, but the academic side as well.

Advertisement
Michigan got him,oregon got the ****** dude that run nike and unc got ****** michael jordan. Would be nice to have a donor like that would probably have their own stadium by now.

Last edited:
Michigan got him,oregon got the ****** dude that run nike and unc got ****** michael jordan. Would be nice to have a donor like that would probably have their own stadium by now.

Just wait 'till DBC brand Bear Repellant hits the shelves.

We 'goin sizzler *******. New stadium, new corches lounge with Heather Dinich hand jobs at lunch time, and the DBC memorial players fund for child support payments.

Or Ross could just donate money to Miami because it's the nice thing to do for the local school. Tom Benson, owner of the Saints donated a large chunk of money to Tulane for their new on campus stadium in spite of having no ties to Tulane. The new stadium will be called called Benson Field at Yulman Stadium.

Dont you guys remember one family did donate a ton about 2 years ago. That is why we have the facilities. If i remember correctly it was Willed to us

Advertisement
Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure the family that donated the money for the Schwartz Center were Tulane alum too.

Michigan got him,oregon got the ****in dude that run nike and unc got ****in michael jordan. Would be nice to have a donor like that would probably have their own stadium by now.

Dwayne Johnson? The Estefans? They have been very active in donating to the school.

As for Ernie McCracken's experience I am sad to say I too have lived it.

As an alum, I can offer my two cents. This is just my own opinion, not sure if things have changed in the past 10 years, not sure if others had the same experience, etc.

Being a small, private school, you would think that the University of Miami would have a more "family atmosphere" with respect to its alumni network. At a large, public institution, you expect to be treated like a number once you graduate. Not at a little school like Miami. Not for what it costs.

When I graduated, I felt the school wanted nothing more to do with me. They did nothing to help me find employment right out of college. Sure, there was a little office with a couple inexperieced students who would help you look over your resume by correcting the grammar and so forth, and sure, there was a job expo on campus which lasted a day or two, but that was the extent of it.

The alumni network was nonexistent and did nothing to help me find my first job. The University itself did nothing but give me the cold shoulder. That was my experience, and it did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth considering how much a UM education costs.

I feel they should do a lot more to help graduating students land jobs in their desired fields. I feel the alumni network should be more engaged and more willing to help new grads get their foot in the door. That was woefully lacking when I graduated.

As it turns out, I ended up getting a very good job, and I make a nice little six figure salary. Somehow, the U found out about it, and NOW they call. NOW the alumni network is interested.

They're quick to come at you, hat in hand, once they see they can get something from you. But when it's their turn to give, they're nowhere to be found.

For a small, private university that calls its alumni network "family," that wasn't the experience I had.

I think UM can do a lot to improve on this front. And maybe they already have, who knows. It's been 10 years since I graduated. I just think they need to do a better job of cultivating those alumni relationships early and often.... not just when the alum has "made it," or it comes across as shallow and phoney and...well.... South Florida materialistic.

UM as a private school can and should develop very tight alumni network, they just don't. If they improved in this area, though, they would find the coffers open up to them not only on the football side, but the academic side as well.

Apu, is that you???

Advertisement
So he can personally donate 200 mil to Michigan but wants how much taxpayer money to upgrade the stadium???

We had our Ross with Cannon Smith (dad owns Fed -Ex).

Should have kept him around just for daddy's money.

Advertisement

U must understand, The Family at THE U is the football family and it was started and maintained by the players against the desires of the administration. I am alum also. Administration's concept of family is "how can I get into YOUR bank account". Which is why the liar had influence. Before Howard and the boys, it was Suntan U-- no family -- with only 3 schools worth a crap Med, Law and Ocean. The football team gave value and fame to any degree for what was then THE U! Before that when you told people you wnet to Miami, they said "Oh." By the mid 80's when you said "Miami" they answered "No ****, you when to THE U!" Foote and Donna had absolutely nothing to due with that change. And therein is the root cause of their hatred of the football program--it isn't their doing and that just tears at their very essence. But they do like the money and enrollments that came with it. So, stand only, kick ***, and flash the [[__]], but donate only to the football program.

Interesting insight Ernie. Help be the change you want to see at the U. Maybe you can help connect the mission of the job placement/recruitment office with that of the office of university advancement so that kids don't leave the U feeling as you did. This is an issue at many institutions. Use the leverage that you have as a successful alumnus to help forge change in a positive direction. Perhaps there are other graduates who feel as you do with whom you can join ranks. I'm sure the current students would appreciate the change you see as necessary because it will make UM stronger. What you describe reminds me of my undergraduate experience, where the administration was a bureaucratic nightmare on top of being rude who only after I graduated recognized my value or worth. My generation has helped to foster change in how our administration interacts with students. It took time, but it can be done. In an environment where there is so much competition over top students, universities want every advantage they can get, AND they want to avoid all the negative publicity that they can. Use that understanding to your advantage to encourage change. In any case, thanks for sharing your experience.

Advertisement
Back