When Coach L Retires...

Advertisement
Well ... we once almost had Pitino. When the program had a lot less going for it.

Different college basketball world, and Hoiberg may want to hold out for a big state school job. Miami should at least make a call to him when that time comes, provided he is still unemployed(I doubt he will be, but it never hurts to have some reach plans in place) Pitino was a guy that was really at a low point in his career. He was already disliked due to how slick he was, and he had flamed out in two NBA stops. Him being interested in Miami was more an example of him wanting a chance to rebuild his image, before moving on to something better. Unfortunately, that wasn't meant to be at Miami, and looking at how his Louisville tenure ended, was a blessing in disguise.

I

Caputo would be a terrible hire. So many better, more proven options out there.

He would be, but if you haven't noticed, Blake James is incompetent. We are all hoping for the best with Manny D, but let's be honest: It was a pathetically inept botched search process. The baseball coach is the son of a big booster who basically bought him the job. James is a garbage AD, period. I dread the day L and Meier leave, for I'm quite sure that James will find a way to make crappy hires, even though there are legit names he could reach out to on day one that would be relatively high reward, low risk hires.

He doesn't deserve an interview. I've never seen someone caught so off guard coaching as he did against
He would be, but if you haven't noticed, Blake James is incompetent. We are all hoping for the best with Manny D, but let's be honest: It was a pathetically inept botched search process. The baseball coach is the son of a big booster who basically bought him the job. James is a garbage AD, period. I dread the day L and Meier leave, for I'm quite sure that James will find a way to make crappy hires, even though there are legit names he could reach out to on day one that would be relatively high reward, low risk hires.
How was the coach search "botched"? Let's be honest, you don't know what you're talking about.

Advertisement

It was botched because less than 12 hours after the announcement that Richt was gone and James announced in the press release that Miami was going to conduct a national search, Miami went and hired a guy they could have gotten at any point in the next two weeks(and may have had to settle with Temple for the privilege of doing so). Miami obviously didn't have a plan, it was reflected in the way the Diaz hire was handled. Miami didn't make one **** phone call in regards to the search, not a single one. Basically, James made the laziest hire he could, hoping that the "Miami Guy" brigade would drown out the people who actually had a clue, and was rightfully ****ed about Miami racing to make a hire they could have made at any **** time. If Diaz works out(Which is iffy, when one looks at the recent precedents in regards to these types of hires), then it's more a result of James lucking out, compared to him making the best possible hire. There's a reason why many of his colleagues were dying laughing when Diaz was hired, it looked flat awful.

Frank Martin is an overrated douchebag that hasn't done much at South Carolina, outside of one magical run. Let's cut the bulls**t, he's crooked, and still manages to be a mediocre coach. He has ONE NCAA appearance in SEVEN YEARS at South Carolina. That's pathetic, and would(and should) get you fired at any school that gives a **** about on court success. We have dumbass Miami fans that want to run off L, and he's done far more at Miami, in a stronger conference than Martin has done at SCar.

When L retires, I'd love to see Miami take a run at a guy like Hoiberg, provided he is available(He most likely won't be). If he isn't, and Randy Bennett is available, he would be my fallback. Miami needs a guy that is a proven teacher, a guy that can get the most out of okay talent. Bennett has done that at a high level throughout his career at St. Marys. There are also some other mid major guys I'd give a call to. I like Jay L., but I think he's tracking for an NBA job. That said, I don't think Blake James would have any kind of search, Chris Caputo will get the job. That's how Blake hires, he's a joke of an AD, and until the BOT cuts the cord, this is what we will be stuck with.

Frank may be a little overrated in these parts because this is home and there may be some blind loyalty from some locals, but he's definitely not as horrible as you portray him to be. I think Coach L is one of the top X's & O's coach in the ACC. He's also a terrific in-game coach, particularly in the last few minutes of games when they're still in the balance. I've never seen a coach pull out more close games than Coach L. And as much as I'm a fan of his, I can foresee Miami making a coaching change after next season if things don't take a turn for the better next year. This has been a very disappointing year for the basketball program. Taking 1&2 year guys along with Dewan's eligibility issue has really taken it's toll. Hope incoming class and transfers will make things better. GO CANES!!!

Martin had a great year at USCe in 2017, reaching the Elite 8. Other than that he's been bad. One NIT and no other postseason appearances at all in the other 4 years. This year they're 11-11, 6-3, so maybe they can sneak in the NIT, but it doesn't look good.

Lol at folks wanting Martin as the UM HC.
To go from Larranaga to this guy would be like trading in a Rolls Royce for a Chevy Volt.
Martin is a terrible coach, an in-game jerk and he got his high school team in trouble.....a cheater who can't coach....ya, great choice for Cane hoops.
You folks don't have a clue.....glad you're not doing the hiring.

Advertisement
Martin had a great year at USCe in 2017, reaching the Elite 8. Other than that he's been bad. One NIT and no other postseason appearances at all in the other 4 years. This year they're 11-11, 6-3, so maybe they can sneak in the NIT, but it doesn't look good.

not to mention hes worse in an easier basketball conference.

I think if/when Coach L leaves, it will be on his timetable. Much more likely that, at some point, he steps away on his own (like Richt), rather than the school letting him go.

There is a point where diminished Coach L "magic" and too many losses are probably going to make him extremely less of a draw than ever, to the NBA wannabe-types... Lonnie Walker, Dewan, Bruce Brown, etc.

Whether it's NCAA-related or otherwise, I expect that when he can't induce many high quality recruits to come here, or even a couple, it will be time for him to decide to retire. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or however the saying goes) no matter how super a coach you are.

I'd love to see another "name" take his place, that would primarily attract good recruits just for that. Not sure Caputo can do even minimally well at that, even if he is blessed with excellent capability in team and court management and smarts.

Advertisement
There is a point where diminished Coach L "magic" and too many losses are probably going to make him extremely less of a draw than ever, to the NBA wannabe-types... Lonnie Walker, Dewan, Bruce Brown, etc.

Whether it's NCAA-related or otherwise, I expect that when he can't induce many high quality recruits to come here, or even a couple, it will be time for him to decide to retire. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or however the saying goes) no matter how super a coach you are.

I'd love to see another "name" take his place, that would primarily attract good recruits just for that. Not sure Caputo can do even minimally well at that, even if he is blessed with excellent capability in team and court management and smarts.
You're in the minority by a lot. Very few if any knowledgeable Canes fan wants Coach L gone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back