What's your preference for filling the staff?

How would you fill out your remaining 4 staff spots?

• QB Coach, TE Coach, Edge Rusher (DE/OLB) Coach, 2nd DB Coach (CBs, S, or Nickel/"Striker")

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, ST Coach, 2nd DB Coach

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, OLB Coach, 2nd DB Coach

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, Edge Coach, LB Coach

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Other (Write in your ****)

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
I'm not talking names....we have 50 threads for that. But we can have 10 assistant, on-field coaches. So far, we have hired 6:

Josh Gattis -- Not official, but widely expected he will be the OC and coach WRs
Kevin Smiff -- RBs
Alex Mirabal -- OL
Joe Salave'a -- DL
Kevin Steele -- DC, and he has experience coaching LBs as well
Jahmile Addae -- DB

That leaves 4 more to hire. If you were Mario, where would those coaches be deployed?

CAVEAT: All the choices will contain QB coach and TE coach, as I believe it's a certainty that Mario will hire guys to man these 2 spots for sure. Perhaps the TE coach doubles as the ST coach, perhaps he has the Grad Asst from La Tech handle it and someone just helps on gameday, I'm not sure. But we're hiring a QB coach and someone has to coach the Tight Ends. Also, with this being said, you're almost definitely going to hire 2 on offense and 2 on defense, possibly with an ST coach stuck somewhere in there. Which way are you leaning and why?

Advertisement
For me, it depends on who we can get. If we can get Coley, sign me up, He's an excellent recruiter and has experience coaching multiple positions. He'd be an asset on any coaching staff.

To me, it's about quality. Are we hiring a ST coach to hire an ST coach or does this coach bring value to the program?

Addae is a huge get! It sends a message, along with Gattis. If we can continue poaching quality assts from playoff teams, I'm down!

Advertisement
Four spots obviously remain. Just question if any are filled in-house and then specific positions and titles.

OC/WR . . . Josh Gattis
RB . . . Kevin Smith
OL . . . Alex Mirabal
QB . . . TBD
TE (also possibly special teams) . . . TBD
DC (also possibly inside linebackers) . . . Kevin Steele
DL . . . Joe Salave'a
Associate DC or similar title/safeties . . . Jahmile Addae
CB . . . TBD
Outside LB, edge rushers (also possibly special teams) . . . TBD

QB
TE
LB
2 DB

Steele will have a LB coach like he did at Auburn with TWill. Addae has coached ST and can handle it on game days with assistance from Dennis Smith if not one of the other coaches we hire.
Agreed. Essentially having an equal split between the Offensive / Defense for on-field coaches, with one of them doubling up as the ST coach

Advertisement
I'm not talking names....we have 50 threads for that. But we can have 10 assistant, on-field coaches. So far, we have hired 6:

Josh Gattis -- Not official, but widely expected he will be the OC and coach WRs
Kevin Smiff -- RBs
Alex Mirabal -- OL
Joe Salave'a -- DL
Jahmile Addae -- DB

That leaves 4 more to hire. If you were Mario, where would those coaches be deployed?

CAVEAT: All the choices will contain QB coach and TE coach, as I believe it's a certainty that Mario will hire guys to man these 2 spots for sure. Perhaps the TE coach doubles as the ST coach, perhaps he has the Grad Asst from La Tech handle it and someone just helps on gameday, I'm not sure. But we're hiring a QB coach and someone has to coach the Tight Ends. Also, with this being said, you're almost definitely going to hire 2 on offense and 2 on defense, possibly with an ST coach stuck somewhere in there. Which way are you leaning and why?
Easy answer for me, whatever Steele and Gattis need.

I said it from the beginning, I only wanted Cristobal if he went all in on coordinators and let them do their jobs...looks to be right on track with that. They have the invaluable input about what made them successful at their prior stops and where they need the extra attention from assistants.

Advertisement

Kevin Smiff -- RBs
Alex Mirabal -- OL
Joe Salave'a -- DL
Jahmile Addae -- DB

I'm increasingly interested in special teams strategy which leads to questions about coaching.

Special teams are on the field 20% of the time. The plays seem to be not especially important (PAT's, kickoffs into end zone, etc) until they are.

I wonder if the analytic types have gotten into this area or not? Coaches have limited time with college players. Maybe not worth a lot of investment in practice time or coach positions and $.

Four spots obviously remain. Just question if any are filled in-house and then specific positions and titles.

OC/WR . . . Josh Gattis
RB . . . Kevin Smith
OL . . . Alex Mirabal
QB . . . TBD
TE (also possibly special teams) . . . TBD
DC (also possibly inside linebackers) . . . Kevin Steele
DL . . . Joe Salave'a
Associate DC or similar title/safeties . . . Jahmile Addae
CB . . . TBD
Outside LB, edge rushers (also possibly special teams) . . . TBD
Is Field officially the TE coach? Or is that still up in the air?

Advertisement
Agreed. Essentially having an equal split between the Offensive / Defense for on-field coaches, with one of them doubling up as the ST coach
Would it make any sense to divide the ST duties between offensive and defensive? Not sure in college how many the various units are manned. Would be interesting to see that laid out btw.

How much coaching will the WR’s really need?

The OL’s & TE’s coach can guide them as well.
Well .. there is a reason that there is such a thing as a passing game coordinator / WR coach .. kids need to know HOW to run routes and when to adjust routes.

I thought I read somewhere that Steele and Gattis would only be responsible for the offense and defense respectively. I think the last 4 positions will most likely be QB, TE, WR, and LB. I think someone mentioned Addae would have the whole room.

Advertisement
Back