What's up with John Campbell?

Advertisement
Had several conversations with @Liberty City El on this kid last year, maintaining that Zion was the better prospect. Zion is the better prospect but JC is a guy that is great for depth if he’s not already a starter. It’s one thing for your 6th and 7th guys be woefully unprepared freshman (like a few years ago), it’s another thing entirely when your 6th and 7th guys are experienced and have an above average talent level.

Advertisement
Each of the past two Springs, John Campbell was identified by the coaches as a kid who was emerging as a projected solid starter. He leap-frogged Herbert and Hillery, ended up starting multiple games. And every time he crashed and burned.

Now, in his 4th year at a time when you'd expect he'd really step up his game, I've heard ZERO about him. Not even an injury report. So I'm guessing he's just been written off like the other two, along with Cleveland Reed?

Starters: Nelson, Clark/Rivers, Gaynor, Donaldson, Williams
First In: Clark/Rivers, Scaife, Traore
Developmental: Washington, Walker, True Freshmen

JAG Alert: Reed (what a waste), Herbert, Hillery, ElGammal (if he returns) ... and now J Campbell ?
grover.........it's called "Not stepping up to potential".......too many JAGS on our Canes. We need dawgs.....

I like that depth chart with one glaring exception. We need somebody to challenge Gaynor at C and I mean really challenge him. Gaynor was *** last year and everyone knows it. I love the Rivers/Donaldson combo at G. Zion is a budding star at LT and Williams at RT will be solid if unspectacular yet solid nonetheless. Still that leaves C as a question mark. Unless coach Feeley earned his entire salary with Gaynor this off-season, we need an upgrade at C. Gaynor just flat out doesn't have the functional strength to get the job done inside. Dude is constantly getting blown back into the backfield. Hopefully he manages to improve and can at least be serviceable.
monday night raw yes GIF by WWE

Advertisement
Each of the past two Springs, John Campbell was identified by the coaches as a kid who was emerging as a projected solid starter. He leap-frogged Herbert and Hillery, ended up starting multiple games. And every time he crashed and burned.

Now, in his 4th year at a time when you'd expect he'd really step up his game, I've heard ZERO about him. Not even an injury report. So I'm guessing he's just been written off like the other two, along with Cleveland Reed?

JAG Alert: Reed (what a waste), Herbert, Hillery, ElGammal (if he returns) ... and now J Campbell ?
Maybe the issue isn't Campbell, but rather the silly hype machine that always makes out young players as the next heroes?

Who knows? It's only been a week of practice. We haven't heard much about the offensive line except Donaldson and Rivers. I'm looking forward to the Spring game. Campbell should be a starter in the Spring game if the team is split up into 2 teams. We'll be able to see with our own eyes who's taken the next step and who's fallen off.

Campbell's a scrappy, hard working dude and that's to be commended.

His issue coming out of HS was that he was handicapped with some really inferior movement skills/bad feet. This is what he continues to struggle with although he looks far better than he did 3-4 years ago. Sometimes larger kids are simply bad athletes, and sometimes larger kids need time to grow into their bodies. Hopefully Campbell is the latter.

Not sure what his best position will be. He doesn't have the strength or leg drive for guard, although he is a very competitive kid who will mix it up. But until his feet catch up with his body he's a liability at T.

Advertisement
Okee, I think Campbell is a clutch player. Speaking of clutch, who rolled that 30 foot putt for the team reppin the U while the match was still in doubt?
Dat wood be yurs trooly son. Ice water in my veins just like D’eriq da king! Quote me on dat!

Advertisement
Not buying it..
Then you’re confused or not paying attention. This was the comment I responded to:
grover noted:

The question you should be asking is why he was so hyped by our fans, not why he hasn’t lived up to the hype. He was rated the 481st best prospect in the country coming out of HS on 247, and wasn’t rated nationally at all on Rivals. He hasn’t done anything to justify any hype. Yet coming out of spring we hear all this hype. Which doesn’t turn out to be right when fall rolls around. Oh, and notice that we’ve heard absurd hype for 20 years that almost always turns out to be over-inflated. Not just re Campbell, but re everyone.

So you can blame Campbell, but it seems obvious the problem lies elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back