What's the worst case scenario with Butch

FAKE Chip Brierre

Band
Banned
I honestly think his floor is 9 wins every year. He will have better conditioned athletes that we've had for the past 10 years and he will have a much more aggressive defense than the past 5.

but the worst case scenario is that he somehow gets us caught in a NCAA scandal.

This is a safe but somewhat lazy hire.

Advertisement
The worst case scenario is that he may have lost it after 5 years of not coaching. I highly doubt it but if we're talking extremes, that's what it would be. I doubt the University would find itself in another scandal in the near future after what we just went through.

same as the worst-case with any coach - that he's not the right guy and we continue to lose games hand-over-fist. Except a fist would imply toughness. So hand-over-skirt.

Bull****.

Butch had zero budget, facilities and massive sanctions when he took over in 1995.

He built the greatest college football team of all time under those circumstances....it's nothing short of amazing.

This time around he will have EVERYTHING at his disposal.

It's scary what he could do.

Advertisement
This is the Hecht's version of rebooting a hit, Hollywood style.

I see it as UM's leadership buying themselves four years of hassle free existence. If they hire Butch, they will have a free pass from the fans and marketplace til the end of the decade. If they hire ANYONE ELSE, they are subject to criticism and potentially ridicule (banners, endless radio show call ins, ESPN online stuff, etc...) if they make a hire that doesnt work out.

Again, UM is an entity that lives by the public relations sword. Hiring Butch prevents them from dying by the public relations sword.

and what should our expectations be?
10 wins next year with ACC title

at what point should the banners fly?
probably not next year unless we get beat down

when can we expect to beat FSU? win the ACC?
next year we should beat FSU. winning the ACC looks tough especially with Clemson

Will Butch take us to Playoffs?
this is the scary part. i'm not sure if he can unless he can get something like the ballin boys back

What's the worst case scenario with Butch

He gets strung along like we are about getting hired only to find out its not him..

same as the worst-case with any coach - that he's not the right guy and we continue to lose games hand-over-fist. Except a fist would imply toughness. So hand-over-skirt.

Great point that no one has brought up. People on here act like Butch is a risky candidate but **** so are all the rest. None are a sure thing. I will take my chances with Butch thats for **** sure.

To answer the question, worse case scenario is that we lose alot of kids to early entry unexpectedly (Grace, Elder, Coley, AQM, Burns) and he is stuck with a team that has horrible depth in certain areas. (DB, LB) Then we are staring down the barrel of an 8 win season at best.

If we just lose Burns, no excuse not to win 9-10 games easily.

Advertisement

I see it as UM's leadership buying themselves four years of hassle free existence. If they hire Butch, they will have a free pass from the fans and marketplace til the end of the decade. If they hire ANYONE ELSE, they are subject to criticism and potentially ridicule (banners, endless radio show call ins, ESPN online stuff, etc...) if they make a hire that doesnt work out.

Again, UM is an entity that lives by the public relations sword. Hiring Butch prevents them from dying by the public relations sword.

Exactly!

Which is why it's such a lazy hire.

Worst case: We continue to be average. But now, fans have to "suck it up" since the school hired the coach y'all begged for.

Worst case we're 8-9 wins a year with 1 ACCCG appearance. We never get over the hump but the Trustees are good with a clean program and decent records.

So USC is lazy for hiring their OC?

USC was lazy, AND they were rewarding Helton's loyalty.

It worked for Clemson, when they hired promoted Dabo, so there is precedence.

But I'm willing to bet USC is getting Helton at a good salary for them, and probably has an easy exit if he doesn't do well, or they access to a guy they prefer over him.

Advertisement

Exactly!

Worst case: We continue to be average. But now, fans have to "suck it up" since the school hired the coach y'all begged for.

I do not share your opinion that its a "Lazy Hire." Its a hire based on a financial hedge. We all know that donations and ticket sales were down since 2013. The next round of ACC TV contract negotiations are only 3 years away. If UM is not ranked in the top ten at that time, the ACC runs the risk of losing some of its TV revenue. They NEED to shore up the revenue side. Hiring Butch goes a long way to doing that on day one.

Exactly!

I do not share your opinion that its a "Lazy Hire." Its a hire based on a financial hedge. We all know that donations and ticket sales were down since 2013. The next round of ACC TV contract negotiations are only 3 years away. If UM is not ranked in the top ten at that time, the ACC runs the risk of losing some of its TV revenue. They NEED to shore up the revenue side. Hiring Butch goes a long way to doing that on day one.

No harm in agreeing to disagree.

I'd argue the only thing required to "shore up the revenue side" is hiring a coach to win, and win immediately.

The fact that Miami fans think re-hiring Butch Davis will make some sort of splash in college football is why the hire is lazy. Miami is catering to a group who will love the introductory press conference, no matter who is hired.

Just go back to, "are you kidding me" ... He had a terrible record before coming to Miami, didn't come from some elite coaching staff, and hadn't coached in pressure situations. But we still bought what he was selling. And we gave him multiple years of support.

Ticket sales dropped after 2013 because we got destroyed in a bowl game and the coach tried to go to Penn State. Had he won that game, to finish 10-3 ... Or, had he lost close and not gone after PSU, ticket sales wouldn't have been an issue.

Aren't you the "market decides value" mod?

NOBODY ELSE wants to hire the guy Miami fans are begging for ...

That's the definition of lazy: "unwilling to work or use energy"

Hiring the guy fans screamed for loudest is lazy ...

That Miami pays a firm $250K to see that he is the man for the job...oh wait never mind

BBB!!!

Advertisement

You honestly believe that? If he doesn't win the Coastal in year 2, then it's starts.

That in addition to being a terrible coach, he's also somehow become a terrible recruiter and is incapable of getting his team ready to play a game.

Of course even if all that happens, we'll probably still be better off than we are now.

You honestly believe that? If he doesn't win the Coastal in year 2, then it's starts.

It cannot start. That's my point. Who's gonna start it? The same people on the WEZ who openly lobbied for Butch? That's why its a PR hedge of a hire. Hiring Butch gives the masses the red meat they've been screaming for. If the meat turns out to be spoiled, the AD can say, "Hey STFU. This was YOUR guy..."

Exactly!

No harm in agreeing to disagree.

I'd argue the only thing required to "shore up the revenue side" is hiring a coach to win, and win immediately.

The fact that Miami fans think re-hiring Butch Davis will make some sort of splash in college football is why the hire is lazy. Miami is catering to a group who will love the introductory press conference, no matter who is hired.

Just go back to, "are you kidding me" ... He had a terrible record before coming to Miami, didn't come from some elite coaching staff, and hadn't coached in pressure situations. But we still bought what he was selling. And we gave him multiple years of support.

Ticket sales dropped after 2013 because we got destroyed in a bowl game and the coach tried to go to Penn State. Had he won that game, to finish 10-3 ... Or, had he lost close and not gone after PSU, ticket sales wouldn't have been an issue.

Aren't you the "market decides value" mod?

NOBODY ELSE wants to hire the guy Miami fans are begging for ...

That's the definition of lazy: "unwilling to work or use energy"

Hiring the guy fans screamed for loudest is lazy ...

Good discussion. Thanks for that.

Yes, I am a believer that the marketplace is the best indicator of value. In this application, I see Butch Davis for what he currently is... A guy whose market value is down based on the UNC scandal. I compare him to Bobby Petrino after his first stint at Louisville. Petrino suffered a scandal and had his market value decrease. He chose to take a job at a lower level skool (Western Kentucky), rebuild his image and then return to Louisville where he has The Ville in contention for major bowls every year.

If Butch were younger, I suspect he'd have gone that route. Given Butch's place (and age), he chose to ride out is rebuilding time working in the media (and I believe he is or was a consultant for an NFL team for a couple years as well). I have no doubt that Butch could have landed a job at Western Kentucky, FAU, FIU, USF, etc... but that's not the stage of career he's at. He read the tea leaves correctly and knew that the UM gig would come up this year, so he stayed close to his people on the Board of Trustees and made his play.

This brings me to a subset of my point which is that Butch will likely take the UM job for a lower salary than other candidates whose "stock" or market value is up right now. That's win-win for a skool like UM that has limited resources. Smart people don't buy a stock at its two year high, they buy it at its two year low. :)

Advertisement
Back