Whats the word on our Frosh OL from last year?

MizCane

Senior
How did these guy look in practice/progress during the year:

St. Louis
Milo
Gauthier
Mahoney
Loftus
Grimsley

Advertisement
No idea.... But any help is good help as it o line was just awful when it came to run blocking. They were ok at pass protection, but nothing to worry home about. O line will be an area of great attention by the new coaching staff.

I was told Mili looked really good, he just needed weight . That was around the middle of the year.

The guy who told me this never throws compliments around . He spoke very highly of him

Advertisement
Milo is an LT with NFL potential, just needed weight. St.louis is a do it all with NFL potential. Gauthier, Mahoney, and loftus have talent but they're guards but grimsley is a ?

Last edited:
Expect St. Louis and Milo to battle with Mcdermott , Sonny, and Darling for the OT jobs. I expect Sonny to lock down one of the positions with Mcdermott and or Darling potentially moving to OG. If that happens i wouldn't expect much playing time to be had for Gauthier and Mahoney in year 2 which is fine. Loftus incoming tape was pretty bad, he's going to need a lot of work to make the roster after 2016. Grimsley i've heard good things about but i'm not even certain he's on scholarship . A few people have said he could push for playing time at Center moving Linder to OG.

Personally i think we're not going to rotate more than 10 barring injury. The bottom 5-7 have a lot improving to do if they want to make the roster next year. 2017 is the year of the OL. We could have a lot of turnover at this position.

Milo
Linder
Isidora
Mcdermott
St. Louis
Odogwu
Knighton
Darling
Gall
Grimsley
Gauthier
Wells
Jones
Mahoney
Loftus

Expect St. Louis and Milo to battle with Mcdermott , Sonny, and Darling for the OT jobs. I expect Sonny to lock down one of the positions with Mcdermott and or Darling potentially moving to OG. If that happens i wouldn't expect much playing time to be had for Gauthier and Mahoney in year 2 which is fine. Loftus incoming tape was pretty bad, he's going to need a lot of work to make the roster after 2016. Grimsley i've heard good things about but i'm not even certain he's on scholarship . A few people have said he could push for playing time at Center moving Linder to OG.

Personally i think we're not going to rotate more than 10 barring injury. The bottom 5-7 have a lot improving to do if they want to make the roster next year. 2017 is the year of the OL. We could have a lot of turnover at this position.

Milo
Linder
Isidora
Mcdermott
St. Louis
Odogwu
Knighton
Darling
Gall
Grimsley
Gauthier
Wells
Jones
Mahoney
Loftus

McDermott already plays LG. It'd be ideal if either Milo or St. Louis beat out Darling for LT and then he can move to his ideal position at RT. But I don't see that happening just yet. The main issue with the OL in 2015 was starting 3 soph and 2 juniors. Just being 3 juniors and 2 senior or majority upperclassman is so much better.

In the trenches, OL and DT mainly, strength and experience go a long way. Last year we returned less than 20 starts combined on the OL in their careers. Next year will be at least 65 because everyone that started a game returns and has a year in the weightroom and under a new position coach. I'm not worried about the OL unit at all.

Milo
Linder
Isidora
Mcdermott
St. Louis
Odogwu
Knighton
Darling
Gall
Grimsley
Gauthier
Wells
Jones
Mahoney
Loftus
Darling is a guard who can play tackle I promise you he's going to be kicked inside and either bar or tyree is going to get the other tackle spot, grimsley is terrible, and nick Linder would be horrendous at guard

Advertisement

Milo
Linder
Isidora
Mcdermott
St. Louis
Odogwu
Knighton
Darling
Gall
Grimsley
Gauthier
Wells
Jones
Mahoney
Loftus

McDermott already plays LG. It'd be ideal if either Milo or St. Louis beat out Darling for LT and then he can move to his ideal position at RT. But I don't see that happening just yet. The main issue with the OL in 2015 was starting 3 soph and 2 juniors. Just being 3 juniors and 2 senior or majority upperclassman is so much better.

In the trenches, OL and DT mainly, strength and experience go a long way. Last year we returned less than 20 starts combined on the OL in their careers. Next year will be at least 65 because everyone that started a game returns and has a year in the weightroom and under a new position coach. I'm not worried about the OL unit at all.
I see darling being kicked inside, maybe even learning how to snap at center just to put our most athletic line out there

Based on what I saw in camp, these are my thoughts:

Tyree St. Louis- I expected him to be a little further along. He will dominate one rep and then get beaten like a drum. I think the experience of playing last year will help him, even if it was just ST and mop-up duty. He has great feet and length.

Bar Milo- Like Cribby said, Milo is a good player who just needs physical development. He has good feet and pretty good technique. I thought he would be a guard coming in but he might be good enough to survive at tackle.

Ty Gauthier- Love him. Very strong for a freshman and he is physical. Better as a run blocker than a pass blocker. Good initial pop but not the most athletic guy. I would like to see him pass Gall in spring. We need more players like him and McDermott.

Hayden Mahoney- Same story as Milo, although maybe not the same upside. He showed flashes of ability but needs to get stronger.

Jahair Jones- Looks the part but got eaten alive all camp. Light needs to come on.

Brendan Loftus- Huge body but slow feet. He had some good reps (mostly against Patchan) but struggled overall. A long way away.

Tyler Grimsley- Too small to contribute here, in my opinion.

I think St. Louis, Milo, and Gauthier have some potential, with St. Louis on the high end and the latter two more Year 3 and beyond types on the interior.

The rest are fodder, in my opinion. Maybe they are guys you get something from in Year 5. They need a lot of work.

Tyree St. Louis- I expected him to be a little further along. He will dominate one rep and then get beaten like a drum. I think the experience of playing last year will help him, even if it was just ST and mop-up duty. He has great feet and length.

Bar Milo- Like Cribby said, Milo is a good player who just needs physical development. He has good feet and pretty good technique. I thought he would be a guard coming in but he might be good enough to survive at tackle.

Ty Gauthier- Love him. Very strong for a freshman and he is physical. Better as a run blocker than a pass blocker. Good initial pop but not the most athletic guy. I would like to see him pass Gall in spring. We need more players like him and McDermott.

Hayden Mahoney- Same story as Milo, although maybe not the same upside. He showed flashes of ability but needs to get stronger.

Jahair Jones- Looks the part but got eaten alive all camp. Light needs to come on.

Brendan Loftus- Huge body but slow feet. He had some good reps (mostly against Patchan) but struggled overall. A long way away.

. I heard St. Louis was really raw and was expected to be a step above the new guys, but was not.

Advertisement

So what your saying without really saying it is, half of Al's guys need to go back home to mamma..

Still cant understand why St.Louis wasn't redshirted by Albert and Kehoe.
Having seen Hayden play in HS always felt he'd be a solid G who loves to maul people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back