Whats Next a Parents Perspective

i appreciate the info from a parent's perspective . . . i also read the interview on caneswarning, i think what has become interesting is the "ifs" in regard to shaq's commitment . . . is there an opportunity for him to flip to another team?
The "IFs" you here are me... I inserted those. Good ear/eye by the way. Shaq is 100% Miami... its a all heart choice for him. Its the heart choice for me as well...but I know that sometimes we make better decisions with our heads (the one just above the shoulders). I'm always in his ear "your recruitment isn't over until the day that you sign..." with that said I would have to say there is an opportunity... but I think its extremely small and unless something drastic happens he is all in (ex Drastic and new coach is hired and it is someone he never recruited Shaq or we don't get that warm and fuzzy. But me personally I think Golden will be there for at least two more years. Canes will win 8 or 9 games this year and I think that will be enough... Does that satisfy me... no Shaq's team went 12-1 last year after going 6-4 and 4-6... but I'm still hurt for that 1 loss... we could have won that game...I'm a sore loser

I completely understand the familiarity issue recruits and parents face when coaching changes occur late in the recruiting process, but in the event that was to happen, I hope you and your son give any new coach the full benefit of the doubt and realize it can also be a start to something great versus just the end of a comfortable and familiar coaching situation.

UM

Whole heartedly... We love Miami... we would want the same love back from the newly inserted staff... What I meant by the Warm and Fuzzy is If we met with this new staff and don't get the feeling they are that interested and just feeding the same ole rhetoric you here on the trail. We have learned what info to take with a grain of salt, whats sincere and what is straight up BS

Advertisement
Mr. Quarterman,
You probably remember me when you started posting here. We had a private conversation about sharing your thoughts here as a parent of a potential player on the team.
First, I want to say you've done an admirable job being careful in you postings on this message board. It's not an easy thing to do.

Second, I like to say that while it is always important to feel wanted by the coaching staff as a recruit, after enrolling, things change. Hard work, doing what is asked from you, give it all you got and excelling all together will determine how much an enrolled player will feel "wanted" and respected by the coaches. Whether incumbent coaches or new coaches who the players are not yet familiar with.

You and your wife should know that coaches come and go but school, education, location, tradition, bond between players, etc. are here to stay. That's why, I told my son when he chose were to go as an athlete and a scholar (was even recruited by Ivy Schools) to choose the school and not the head coach.

I think your son has made the right choice regardless of who will be the head coach next year.

Last edited:
What the **** is a slurper? Someone who cheers on the Canes through thick and thin? Then I'm a slurper. Good Luck to your son and I hope he wears the U. In 1998 the Canes came back from a 17 point 3 Qtr deficit against number 3 UCLA. Alot of fans left and they missed one of the greatest comebacks in Canes history. The fans who stayed are slurpers.

Don't try and hijack the thread with your Superfan redefinition of slurper. It isn't about you. The UCLA game has nothing to do with this and one game as opposed to a body of work aren't similar at all.

@UknowWhat: Thank you for the constant information and the good news. We're all excited to have your son but also your entire family on board with the school and the program.

Ted, I know you are a good poster, so this is not arguing but clarification. Most of us want no part of Golden, but we still support the players. The hate for Golden is so deep here that it crosses into poor behavior and hurting the players.

Also, someone posted that Golden wont be here after one year anyway. Almost every thread is threadjacked by a "hater".

Mr. Q., you are GREAT. I cant wait to see your son starting for us.

I appreciate the response, the compliment, and I don't view it as argumentative at all. I agree with your premise but the post I responded to was a, "Look at how big a fan I am," post that I felt was distracting from the good news that UknowWhat was sharing about the love for the program the juniors have. I let my angst creep in there with the comparison I drew. I saw a hijack attempt and responded accordingly to the moment.

Regardless, the critical point that the players ate committed to the University of Miami is out and I certainly hope that support for the players isn't hurt.

Advertisement
Back