Whats Next a Parents Perspective

UknowWhat

Senior
My wife is not as settled as she should be at times… asked a question and expressed her concerns to one of the staff members. Not only was my wife and I present, but so was Mike Pinkney’s mom, Zach McCloud’s parents and Jack Allison’s mom when she asked… “Is this coaching staff going to be here at the end of next season.” And, then added “I want to know because I want my child to play for someone who wants and need him”. The staff members goes into the long spill and explains why they will be in place and all our kids will be wanted and needed by the incumbent staff. But what impressed me most is when he went on to say and these kids would be wanted and needed by anyone with any sense. They say what they think we want to hear and we take it the way we think they want us to take it. Overall I was pleased with the weekend and would entrust with turning over my child to the University of Miami. And for those out there that’s going to accuse me of being a slurpper… go ahead…my skins tough. I was impressed with Golden and staff and I told Shaq if this is where you end up.. Then you will have to give 100% of your efforts and loyalty to the program.. even if I don’t. If you can’t see yourself buying completely in then you are not helping… your are hurting. It was funny because all the parents had the same concerns and all expressed thanks to my wife for asking once the staff member moved on.

Advertisement
What the **** is a slurper? Someone who cheers on the Canes through thick and thin? Then I'm a slurper. Good Luck to your son and I hope he wears the U. In 1998 the Canes came back from a 17 point 3 Qtr deficit against number 3 UCLA. Alot of fans left and they missed one of the greatest comebacks in Canes history. The fans who stayed are slurpers.

Last edited:
Great insight. Thanks. Tell you wife she is great. So many of us are alums and have been fans decades that what has been going on pains us to no end. BUT you tell any kid who is worried, that regardless, THE U is family, they will get good education, enjoy college in the sun, and get their shot at Sunday paychecks. We understand that parents love Al and that is great. Do not let our fervor to replace him be taken as an attack on those parents, players or recruits. Al is hired help who has not performed up to expectations. Players and parents are family. There is a difference. We will cheer your son, Al or no Al.

Advertisement
My wife is not as settled as she should be at times… asked a question and expressed her concerns to one of the staff members. Not only was my wife and I present, but so was Mike Pinkney’s mom, Zach McCloud’s parents and Jack Allison’s mom when she asked… “Is this coaching staff going to be here at the end of next season.” And, then added “I want to know because I want my child to play for someone who wants and need him”. The staff members goes into the long spill and explains why they will be in place and all our kids will be wanted and needed by the incumbent staff. But what impressed me most is when he went on to say and these kids would be wanted and needed by anyone with any sense. They say what they think we want to hear and we take it the way we think they want us to take it. Overall I was pleased with the weekend and would entrust with turning over my child to the University of Miami. And for those out there that’s going to accuse me of being a slurpper… go ahead…my skins tough. I was impressed with Golden and staff and I told Shaq if this is where you end up.. Then you will have to give 100% of your efforts and loyalty to the program.. even if I don’t. If you can’t see yourself buying completely in then you are not helping… your are hurting. It was funny because all the parents had the same concerns and all expressed thanks to my wife for asking once the staff member moved on.

UKnowwhat, I have always wanted to ask you whether you feel your son is better suited for a 4-3 scheme or a 3-4 scheme? Also, was Dnofrio there? Seems like that guy has dropped off the face of the earth. If he was there, was he going over how your son could excel in this scheme? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

What the **** is a slurper? Someone who cheers on the Canes through thick and thin? Then I'm a slurper. Good Luck to your son and I hope he wears the U. In 1998 the Canes came back from a 17 point 3 Qtr deficit against number 3 UCLA. Alot of fans left and they missed one of the greatest comebacks in Canes history. The fans who stayed are slurpers.

Don't try and hijack the thread with your Superfan redefinition of slurper. It isn't about you. The UCLA game has nothing to do with this and one game as opposed to a body of work aren't similar at all.

@UknowWhat: Thank you for the constant information and the good news. We're all excited to have your son but also your entire family on board with the school and the program.

Advertisement

UKnowwhat, I have always wanted to ask you whether you feel your son is better suited for a 4-3 scheme or a 3-4 scheme? Also, was Dnofrio there? Seems like that guy has dropped off the face of the earth. If he was there, was he going over how your son could excel in this scheme? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Never talked scheme with Miami...at UF and Auburn and UGA they quizzed Shaq and had short film sessions...UGA was 3-4 at the time so we where a little confused seemed risky. Auburn ran 4-2-5 Shaq was comfortable but at UF Shaq he under stood their scheme and could communicate it well impressed Durkins....Shaq would prefer 4-3 or 4-2-5...but could adjust to 3-4 with a learning curb

Uknowwhat: Truly appreciate your insight. As fans - particularly of a program that has been as dominant as the U - its easy for us to grow restless and impatient. We all expect that the U should be competing for National Championships year in and year out. Its easy to forget that a program is built by 18 year old kids who put their bodies on the line for our amusement in exchange for a scholarship and an opportunity to see how far they can go in this sport.

Thanks for entrusting your beloved son to the U and for providing such valuable insight to the process a kid and family go through and what goes on behind the scenes while most of us spend so much time speculating about nonsense on this side of a message board.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight, Mr. Quarterman.

I can only offer up some historical statistics: The average tenure of a D1 head coach is something like 4.6 years. So the likelihood of a kid who stays on campus for 4-5 years seeing a coaching change is quite likely unless they sign with a school that has a 1st year head coach. That's why so many of us who've followed recruiting for decades now always say; Sign with a school, not a coach.

Thanks for your insight, Mr. Quarterman.

I can only offer up some historical statistics: The average tenure of a D1 head coach is something like 4.6 years. So the likelihood of a kid who stays on campus for 4-5 years seeing a coaching change is quite likely unless they sign with a school that has a 1st year head coach. That's why so many of us who've followed recruiting for decades now always say; Sign with a school, not a coach.

You're confusing people with the facts. Golden will be gone after this season, everyone knows it. The board and AD are going to keep a close eye on coaching candidates next season and should be in position to make a sound decision instead of a knee jerk choice. The recruits should know this as well. Choose the school!

Advertisement
You say the staff said gave reasons why they would be here after this season.

Like WHAT?

And you think Golden will be here another couple of years?

Don't try and hijack the thread with your Superfan redefinition of slurper. It isn't about you. The UCLA game has nothing to do with this and one game as opposed to a body of work aren't similar at all.

@UknowWhat: Thank you for the constant information and the good news. We're all excited to have your son but also your entire family on board with the school and the program.

Ted, I know you are a good poster, so this is not arguing but clarification. Most of us want no part of Golden, but we still support the players. The hate for Golden is so deep here that it crosses into poor behavior and hurting the players.

Also, someone posted that Golden wont be here after one year anyway. Almost every thread is threadjacked by a "hater".

Mr. Q., you are GREAT. I cant wait to see your son starting for us.

Advertisement
i appreciate the info from a parent's perspective . . . i also read the interview on caneswarning, i think what has become interesting is the "ifs" in regard to shaq's commitment . . . is there an opportunity for him to flip to another team?

i appreciate the info from a parent's perspective . . . i also read the interview on caneswarning, i think what has become interesting is the "ifs" in regard to shaq's commitment . . . is there an opportunity for him to flip to another team?
The "IFs" you here are me... I inserted those. Good ear/eye by the way. Shaq is 100% Miami... its a all heart choice for him. Its the heart choice for me as well...but I know that sometimes we make better decisions with our heads (the one just above the shoulders). I'm always in his ear "your recruitment isn't over until the day that you sign..." with that said I would have to say there is an opportunity... but I think its extremely small and unless something drastic happens he is all in (ex Drastic and new coach is hired and it is someone he never recruited Shaq or we don't get that warm and fuzzy. But me personally I think Golden will be there for at least two more years. Canes will win 8 or 9 games this year and I think that will be enough... Does that satisfy me... no Shaq's team went 12-1 last year after going 6-4 and 4-6... but I'm still hurt for that 1 loss... we could have won that game...I'm a sore loser

The "IFs" you here are me... I inserted those. Good ear/eye by the way. Shaq is 100% Miami... its a all heart choice for him. Its the heart choice for me as well...but I know that sometimes we make better decisions with our heads (the one just above the shoulders). I'm always in his ear "your recruitment isn't over until the day that you sign..." with that said I would have to say there is an opportunity... but I think its extremely small and unless something drastic happens he is all in (ex Drastic and new coach is hired and it is someone he never recruited Shaq or we don't get that warm and fuzzy. But me personally I think Golden will be there for at least two more years. Canes will win 8 or 9 games this year and I think that will be enough... Does that satisfy me... no Shaq's team went 12-1 last year after going 6-4 and 4-6... but I'm still hurt for that 1 loss... we could have won that game...I'm a sore loser

I completely understand the familiarity issue recruits and parents face when coaching changes occur late in the recruiting process, but in the event that was to happen, I hope you and your son give any new coach the full benefit of the doubt and realize it can also be a start to something great versus just the end of a comfortable and familiar coaching situation.

UM

Advertisement
Back