What's more important at QB?

Advertisement
RIP..but this is what u look for..a kid who can throw like a Manning and eat like a Wilfork

Attachments

• 72AC65B4-299A-438C-856A-C0D6B5D651EB.jpeg
    72AC65B4-299A-438C-856A-C0D6B5D651EB.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 8B0CDE78-0DA8-4A3A-BE98-6F65A766F138.jpeg
    8B0CDE78-0DA8-4A3A-BE98-6F65A766F138.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 6
Advertisement
Advertisement
Consistence and don't lose games with turnovers. Solid performances every game regardless of the opponent. Lastly love the game and play without fear of losing, always believe we will win this game today.

Talent supersedes all imo.

The ability to make all the throws & have accuracy while attacking all parts of the field.

Natural arm talent, natural athleticism & natural feel for the game are the top qualities to me. You can't really measure "feel for the game" but you see it over time in the way a QB responds to adversity & deals with pressure both in & out of the pocket.

I don't think you need a specific style, I like both traditional pocket passers & Dual threat runners equally. What I prefer is guys who are in the mold of a Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson type that are both great throwers & great runners, but if you have a guy with special arm talent like a Pat Mahomes or a Aaron Rodgers you can't go wrong with them either.

Intangibles like leadership, work ethic, toughness, personality or attitude are also very important as well, just a lot more difficult to objectively measure. It's hard to know how much heart a kid has until you get'em in your program & on your roster, you can somewhat find out work ethic in how good a student they might be, but some kids might not be crazy about school but love Football. Ultimately, you can never really know what a kid is made of until you have them on your team & see on a day to day basis how they deal with everything that comes with being a starting QB.

Some kids thrive when the pressure & the spotlight is on them, some kids fold. But to me it comes down how bad the guy wants to be great, in order to be a great QB especially in College & Pro's you have to be extremely self motivated & self determined. No amount of coaching can account for being internally driven, they have to want it more than anybody or anything else.

But it all varies depending on the player, there's no one formula that's exactly right for all QB's.

Advertisement
Talent supersedes all imo.

The ability to make all the throws & have accuracy while attacking all parts of the field.

Natural arm talent, natural athleticism & natural feel for the game are the top qualities to me. You can't really measure "feel for the game" but you see it over time in the way a QB responds to adversity & deals with pressure both in & out of the pocket.

I don't think you need a specific style, I like both traditional pocket passers & Dual threat runners equally. What I prefer is guys who are in the mold of a Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson type that are both great throwers & great runners, but if you have a guy with special arm talent like a Pat Mahomes or a Aaron Rodgers you can't go wrong with them either.

Intangibles like leadership, work ethic, toughness, personality or attitude are also very important as well, just a lot more difficult to objectively measure. It's hard to know how much heart a kid has until you get'em in your program & on your roster, you can somewhat find out work ethic in how good a student they might be, but some kids might not be crazy about school but love Football. Ultimately, you can never really know what a kid is made of until you have them on your team & see on a day to day basis how they deal with everything that comes with being a starting QB.

Some kids thrive when the pressure & the spotlight is on them, some kids fold. But to me it comes down how bad the guy wants to be great, in order to be a great QB especially in College & Pro's you have to be extremely self motivated & self determined. No amount of coaching can account for being internally driven, they have to want it more than anybody or anything else.

But it all varies depending on the player, there's no one formula that's exactly right for all QB's.
this true with all positions at this level and the pro level...now Send that to our players on twitter

Advertisement
Its better to be lucky than good.

For real though, I like Urban Meyers list of QB traits. #1 most important is an ability to improvise. Personally, I think another underrated trait is competitiveness. I want a QB who hates losing more than anything. I rank arm talent and accuracy below those 2 traits. In college football, a good OC can design an offense to give big throwing windows to the QB. You don't need a qb who "can make NFL throws" to win 11 games.

Advertisement
Back