Whats Missing: Explosive Players (Wes Welker edition)

skyman

Senior
I talk about SPEEEEED and how we are slow af in offseason and guys say oh speed is overrated and you dont need it to win, I dont even bother going back n forth because, OK.. Then season starts, defense lets us dribble down field and then wait for us to ***** up and we do in red zone and settle for field goals. We lack explosive players big time and our returning explosive guy caught flat tire to begin season (because miami) then our other backs who have speed go down forever..

I think the crossover of Dolphins bringing in a OC who came from a speed mindset and then basically walking into fastest duo in NFL will offer a contrast in football weekends for us. Wes Welker was interviewed today and he basically said seeing that speed changed his perspective on the position (our OC said samething after coaching Ruggs, Smith, Juedy, Waddle), besides the steep learning curve, if you want to be bro style you better have ungodly amount of talent.. 3 star Keyshawn and the rest aint gon get it done, better hit the portal HARD.

Check 5:05 Mark For Welker enlightenment on SPEEEEED:

Advertisement
But he said "not completely." And, then listed out a number of prerequisites. He's talking about the NFL, so speed is an even bigger differentiator because the margin on the other aspects is so tight.

The thing is that, in college, you can do some things even without world class speed via some other differentiators. Whether through your breaks or the scheme, there's very little reason to not expose space on a college field where hash marks are 589 miles apart.

Now, if you can get some of those things AND speed, you get Alabama during those wild WR years. Tua and Mac Jones throwing at WRs who had 10 feet of separation. If that's what is required, that's a failure of approach, IMO.

Lot of interesting views in his video. Thanks for sharing.

But he said "not completely." And, then listed out a number of prerequisites. He's talking about the NFL, so speed is an even bigger differentiator because the margin on the other aspects is so tight.

The thing is that, in college, you can do some things even without world class speed via some other differentiators. Whether through your breaks or the scheme, there's very little reason to not expose space on a college field where hash marks are 589 miles apart.

Now, if you can get some of those things AND speed, you get Alabama during those wild WR years. Tua and Mac Jones throwing at WRs who had 10 feet of separation. If that's what is required, that's a failure of approach, IMO.

Oh I agree, its very difficult to find "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" who run track (seems like at Miami its actually been BANNED now, smfh), ballers who happen to also run track as part of their training program (one of the negatives of circuit 7 on 7 year round, they have tryouts right after season end in DEC and go all the way to Summer) and not the track guys who are scared of contact and slow down at sight of contact negating their advantage..

Had a friend I know who had a son who was lottery pick DB and now probably early in career is one of top players at position, he has another son in high school coming up and he had to fight coaches to let his son run track because the program WORKED ALREADY for him. He had proof of concept and he was mad because other kids were being kept away from track to play 7 on 7 year round. His son still is on team but in track season, track comes FIRST. He felt the training really helped and prepared his son in different ways and wasnt willing to give that up..

Also Miami cannot NOT be the fastest team in america, I remember us lining up straight GOONS in Orange Bowl, people dont realize we had dudes taking off on the line, turning OB to a track meet.. Our guys were football players too but Reggie Wayne in interview mentioned how that helped him soo much and he thanked Curtis soo much because he didnt see the value before that because he didnt have "those times" to compete.. I got to find the interview..

Just to followup, its not a complete thing but its just changes the game soo much.. I know he is public enemy #1 right now but here is Gattis talking about what he looks for in wr back when he just got on at mich

I talk about SPEEEEED and how we are slow af in offseason and guys say oh speed is overrated and you dont need it to win, I dont even bother going back n forth because, OK.. Then season starts, defense lets us dribble down field and then wait for us to ***** up and we do in red zone and settle for field goals. We lack explosive players big time and our returning explosive guy caught flat tire to begin season (because miami) then our other backs who have speed go down forever..

I think the crossover of Dolphins bringing in a OC who came from a speed mindset and then basically walking into fastest duo in NFL will offer a contrast in football weekends for us. Wes Welker was interviewed today and he basically said seeing that speed changed his perspective on the position (our OC said samething after coaching Ruggs, Smith, Juedy, Waddle), besides the steep learning curve, if you want to be bro style you better have ungodly amount of talent.. 3 star Keyshawn and the rest aint gon get it done, better hit the portal HARD.

Check 5:05 Mark For Welker enlightenment on SPEEEEED:

really impressed w McDaniel so far.

Advertisement

agreed on your last point esp considering well never recruit like they do no matter how good Mario is at recruiting

Oh I agree, its very difficult to find "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" who run track (seems like at Miami its actually been BANNED now, smfh), ballers who happen to also run track as part of their training program (one of the negatives of circuit 7 on 7 year round, they have tryouts right after season end in DEC and go all the way to Summer) and not the track guys who are scared of contact and slow down at sight of contact negating their advantage..

Had a friend I know who had a son who was lottery pick DB and now probably early in career is one of top players at position, he has another son in high school coming up and he had to fight coaches to let his son run track because the program WORKED ALREADY for him. He had proof of concept and he was mad because other kids were being kept away from track to play 7 on 7 year round. His son still is on team but in track season, track comes FIRST. He felt the training really helped and prepared his son in different ways and wasnt willing to give that up..

Also Miami cannot NOT be the fastest team in america, I remember us lining up straight GOONS in Orange Bowl, people dont realize we had dudes taking off on the line, turning OB to a track meet.. Our guys were football players too but Reggie Wayne in interview mentioned how that helped him soo much and he thanked Curtis soo much because he didnt see the value before that because he didnt have "those times" to compete.. I got to find the interview..
CJ =GOAT

Just to followup, its not a complete thing but its just changes the game soo much.. I know he is public enemy #1 right now but here is Gattis talking about what he looks for in wr back when he just got on at mich

hes said the same here w speed and space. its just weird bc w speed, you'd want to get it in space and let the athletes do what they do best. at least thats my approach. again, I know hes had an HC influence his scheme before. maybe were all wrong and its the main man thats influencing our offense here

I love track, but I'm not sure it helps football players. Maybe your friend's son is good at football and also ran track, but they aren't related. I think it's fair to think that football-related running might be of more value than track running. How about this: when the NFL wants to measure a guy's speed, do they have him run on the field or the track? Plus, I think we're all familiar with players who were fast on a track but couldn't get open...it's two different things. I'm sure running track helps some guys, but I can't fault a program for telling their players to do football-related activities in the offseason instead of track.

Advertisement
I love track, but I'm not sure it helps football players. Maybe your friend's son is good at football and also ran track, but they aren't related. I think it's fair to think that football-related running might be of more value than track running. How about this: when the NFL wants to measure a guy's speed, do they have him run on the field or the track? Plus, I think we're all familiar with players who were fast on a track but couldn't get open...it's two different things. I'm sure running track helps some guys, but I can't fault a program for telling their players to do football-related activities in the offseason instead of track.
It definitely helps, you can do both. His kid still does 7 on 7 but if there is conflict in track season, he goes to the meet. He also plays bball but not seriously, he likes his kids in multi sports and when its mentioned the scouts actually praise multi sport athletes.. Im sure it can work both ways, I like burners tho and them being competitive in track always helps.. If you look thru most of the most explosive players in cfb the last 20 years or so I wouldnt be surprised if you cant find 100 meter times on them.. Hester, Bush, Ginn, Harvin, Maclin, Desean, Tyreek, De'Anthony, Denard, Ruggs, Waddle, Sammy W, Spiller, etc. 🤷‍♂️

It definitely helps, you can do both. His kid still does 7 on 7 but if there is conflict in track season, he goes to the meet. He also plays bball but not seriously, he likes his kids in multi sports and when its mentioned the scouts actually praise multi sport athletes.. Im sure it can work both ways, I like burners tho and them being competitive in track always helps.. If you look thru most of the most explosive players in cfb the last 20 years or so I wouldnt be surprised if you cant find 100 meter times on them.. Hester, Bush, Ginn, Harvin, Maclin, Desean, Tyreek, De'Anthony, Denard, Ruggs, Waddle, Sammy W, Spiller, etc. 🤷‍♂️
Everybody says they like multi-sport athletes, but in the end people wonder if they wouldn't be a little better if they only played football. Every time that kid misses a tackle or drops an INT, somebody's looking at him wondering if he couldn't use just a little more football practice.

In the end, I think it's probably better for some kids to run track and better for others to play football all year round. Jimmy Graham can play one year of college football and be a stud, but most kids can't.

Everybody says they like multi-sport athletes, but in the end people wonder if they wouldn't be a little better if they only played football. Every time that kid misses a tackle or drops an INT, somebody's looking at him wondering if he couldn't use just a little more football practice.

In the end, I think it's probably better for some kids to run track and better for others to play football all year round. Jimmy Graham can play one year of college football and be a stud, but most kids can't.
Agree with that overall, there is always a millions ways to skin a cat I think is how they say it.. For every guy who played every dam sport there is the guy who only has one focus and had similar success..

Advertisement
We need to start recruiting explosive WRs. Period. Proof is in the pudding. The room lost guys who are playing elsewhere but with very limited production.
Pope is returning punts for JSU, Worsham with no receptions at Auburn and Jeremiah Payton is catching balls for Butler CC in Kansas.

1663945297789.png

1663945453455.png

1663945551265.png

I think we have a decent amount of explosive players on offense.

We definitely need a lot more and can use more speed, but I can certainly remember recent times where the cupboard was more bare

We have some very solid players on offense, what we lack is difference makers. We don't seem to have that kid that can turn a 10 yd run or catch into a 50yd TD. We can compete in the Coastal with this type of talent but we can't win the ACC or compete with the big boys without real playmakers.

Advertisement
We have some very solid players on offense, what we lack is difference makers. We don't seem to have that kid that can turn a 10 yd run or catch into a 50yd TD. We can compete in the Coastal with this type of talent but we can't win the ACC or compete with the big boys without real playmakers.
agreed

What's remarkable is that we haven't really even lucked into good WRs, in particularly when you consider where we're located. Think about it. We're recruiting 2-4 every year. How we haven't hit on some kids just by pure luck/numbers is kinda kooky.

18: Pope, Hightower, Ezzard, Wiggins
19: Payton
20: Redding, Worsham, X, K. Smith
21: Brinson, George, B. Smith
22: Young, Horton

X is really good but apart from him, we need to see a lot more.

Also, I realize 18-21 was Manny and 22 was an anomaly for Mario, but if I'm a college HC, I'm taking 3-5 WR every year. Can't have enough IMO.

Advertisement
Back