Whatever happened...

Martycane

Sophomore
...to the priest who used to be on the sidelines back in the day?
Always liked seeing him there but I can't recall when he left...

Advertisement
Father Leo. Can't remember exactly when he stopped being the Canes chaplain but it has to be a long time ago. He actually left the priesthood a few years ago and lives in Palm Beach County. Was doing work with foster kids that were becoming adults the last I heard.

Whatever, if he was back it would probably result on a yellow flag on the sideline, some student would complain about the "stress" suffered and the school would be under federal investigation.

Advertisement
Heard he made a parallel move to a parish in Tuscaloosa and now thinks he can come back here as Archbishop of Miami.

I think he stop being team Priest in 1996. He was there from early 80's. Also with Dallas a couple years overlapping with the Canes. Then with Dolphins for about 10 until 2006 I think. He got into some trouble up in Palm Beach a few years back and has left the Priesthood. I think he married several of our greats including Dorsey. I remember his at Jerome Brown's, RIP, funeral. Also he bought Alonzo to the Catholic Church and baptized his two boys. He was a big part of our glory days.

I think he stop being team Priest in 1996. He was there from early 80's. Also with Dallas a couple years overlapping with the Canes. Then with Dolphins for about 10 until 2006 I think. He got into some trouble up in Palm Beach a few years back and has left the Priesthood. I think he married several of our greats including Dorsey. I remember his at Jerome Brown's, RIP, funeral. Also he bought Alonzo to the Catholic Church and baptized his two boys. He was a big part of our glory days.

We need him for the Hail Marys...

Advertisement
Whatever, if he was back it would probably result on a yellow flag on the sideline, some student would complain about the "stress" suffered and the school would be under federal investigation.

Refs would go wild. "Unnecessary praying! 30 yards and automatic TD!"

Funny story about him. I was at Catholics vs Convicts in South Bend. Good friend of my is Doomer and gave me ticket. I end up sitting next to a Nun. I've got twelve years in Catholic schools and actually love the old nuns. This one was in full habit, I forget the Order, and carrying an umbrella. I'm in full Cane outfit. Some dude walks by in a Catholic vs Convicts shirt and she smiles and gives me an elbow. I turn and say, "Oh Sister, I am so sorry about that Cane fan. That is so rude of him." She looks and asked, "What are you talking about? I said "Well that shirt. I mean calling your players convicts and all, that is not nice." She stand up and looks down at me and goes full out Nun. "You young fool. We are the Catholics!" I smile and say, "Oh no Sister. Miami has 10 Catholics starting today. Note Dame only has 3. You must be the convicts."

For any on you with Nun experience you know what happen next. She beat me with that umbrella for a couple minutes. After that she hit me with it every time I cheered. We lost but I had fun.

We need him for the Hail Marys...

I assume he was praying on that last play Saturday.

Funny story about him. I was at Catholics vs Convicts in South Bend. Good friend of my is Doomer and gave me ticket. I end up sitting next to a Nun. I've got twelve years in Catholic schools and actually love the old nuns. This one was in full habit, I forget the Order, and carrying an umbrella. I'm in full Cane outfit. Some dude walks by in a Catholic vs Convicts shirt and she smiles and gives me an elbow. I turn and say, "Oh Sister, I am so sorry about that Cane fan. That is so rude of him." She looks and asked, "What are you talking about? I said "Well that shirt. I mean calling your players convicts and all, that is not nice." She stand up and looks down at me and goes full out Nun. "You young fool. We are the Catholics!" I smile and say, "Oh no Sister. Miami has 10 Catholics starting today. Note Dame only has 3. You must be the convicts."

For any on you with Nun experience you know what happen next. She beat me with that umbrella for a couple minutes. After that she hit me with it every time I cheered. We lost but I had fun.

LOL, don't mess with the penguins they can be ferocious!

Advertisement

LOL, don't mess with the penguins they can be vicious!

Amen. I schooled with Redemptorist. Full penguin dress. Heck until third grade I didn't know that had feet -- thought they just glided across the ground. I loved them but they certainly made you know that punishment followed bad and that pain came along for the ride. Had one that threw chalk instead of erasers. Crack shot too -- between the eyes about inch above eyebrows. Ah, the good old days.

Great guy. Spent Thanksgiving with him at his house in '08, and I came away incredibly impressed with the man, despite not being religious myself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back