Whatever Happened to ....

Advertisement
Super glad we tried with him, Gabe Terry, even Sam Bruce. They were more or less good souls that didn't have their heads screwed on straight and didn't see the consequences of their actions.

And Eddie Johnson.

And my mind's kinda foggy on the Terry incident, but wasn't He arrested because He basically didn't make it to His dorm room that night?...I know He was arrested for weed. Kid was a heckuva athlete though, State wrestling champion in Nebraska & Florida.

On Feb. 4, three days after the publication of the final diary entry, Williams held a signing day press conference inside the Carol City High library. It was a lighthearted affair, with Williams striding to the podium and announcing, “I feel great about today!”

He first donned a throwback Deion Sanders Florida State jersey and hat—then tossed the garments aside and switched to Hurricane garb. “I’m gonna go to UM!” he said to loud cheers.

As soon as he jotted his name on the letter of intent, he called Vernon Hargreaves, Miami’s linebackers coach, to deliver the news. Coker then got on the line—unaware he was being heard via speaker by a room filled with Williams fans.

“Willie Williams?” Coker said.

“How you doing, Coach?” he replied.

“You know what, everyone’s going crazy down here, man,” Coker said. “I’m doing cartwheels over here. I’m doing great, and let me tell you something: You’re going to do great, too. You’re committed to us, we’re committed to you. Let’s do a couple of things—let’s win some championships and let’s get your degree. You’ve got that three-year plan. Let’s get it done!”

With that, a room filled with friends and family members swooned.

With that, the bombs began to fall.

Within hours of the press conference, the Gainesville Police Department filed three criminal complaints against Williams for incidents that allegedly occurred within a five-hour span during his visit.

According to reports, Williams allegedly punched Akeem Thompson, a 22-year-old local man, in the face multiple times inside Royal Blue nightclub “for no apparent reason.” He also hugged Joanna Braganza, a female University of Florida student, from behind without permission, then refused to immediately let go.

Most serious, Williams allegedly discharged three fire extinguishers at the UF Hilton, where he was staying.

The first two charges were misdemeanors, the last a felony.

Bruce Feldman wrote in Cane Mutiny, his book about the Miami Hurricanes: “Could this be? The devilishly charming linebacker who had played the Machiavellian recruiting game for all its worth had risked crapping out by going all Mike Tyson?”

Some who know Williams remained convinced that, had he decided to become a Gator, none of the alleged incidents would have come to light.

“Do you really think any of this would’ve come out if Willie signed with Florida?” Bradford Cohen, his attorney at the time, now says. “No way. It was retribution.” (University of Florida officials have long denied any ties to the incident.) Others simply wished he’d never traveled to Gainesville—a place that didn’t interest him.

Appreciate it bro. I remember when this happened, this was what turned my hate for the Gaytors up another level.

And Eddie Johnson.

And my mind's kinda foggy on the Terry incident, but wasn't He arrested because He basically didn't make it to His dorm room that night?...I know He was arrested for weed. Kid was a heckuva athlete though, State wrestling champion in Nebraska & Florida.

IIRC he was sitting outside in front of his dorm or apartment smoking a joint when the police walked by. Dumbest reason ever to get the boot but he was on a short leash. I think he could have made a decent player. Shame.

Yes.

He's been living a better life for years now & has grown & matured.

He trains football players & actually works with a number of HS/College kids in CC & Miami in general.

Those old days are behind him.

that's good to hear.

nobody should ever root for failure. he was a heck of a physical talent. shame that part of his life wasn't maximized.

Advertisement
IIRC he was sitting outside in front of his dorm or apartment smoking a joint when the police walked by. Dumbest reason ever to get the boot but he was on a short leash. I think he could have made a decent player. Shame.

Gotcha...I thought He passed out in front of another dorm and somebody called the cops on em'.

Something like 13 arrests, but he was very charismatic, apparently. The kind of guy you'd never think got into all that trouble.

As for recruiting him, the entire world seems to think Shalalalala wanted to destroy the football team. How many of you remember the statement she released advocating for him and explaining why we were admitting him?

Weird how a person ****-bent on ruining Miami football went to bat for a star player that should never have been admitted.

She went hard for him and Randy. People who think otherwise are sheep, and don’t know ****.

Yes.

He's been living a better life for years now & has grown & matured.

He trains football players & actually works with a number of HS/College kids in CC & Miami in general.

Those old days are behind him.
That's great news, love when people can turn things around.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back