What Would Richt's Staff look like?

Gi0logy

Freshman
Premium
If Richt comes then I'd love to see him go after Tyson Helton (OC at WKU) to run the offense here. Even if Richt doesn't come I'd still like us to go after Helton but there's a connection here. The connection there is that Neil Callaway is the OL coach for WKU but was Richt's OC in his early years at Georgia. The guy would do wonders with Kaaya.

I could see him stick with Brian McClendon too as RB coach/asst coach/recruiting coordinator if Kirby Smart (if that rumor is true) doesn't try to retain him. Not a bad idea considering some of the RB's he's recently had in Gurley, Chubb, and Michel (thanks AG). Wildcard would be Richt offering him the OC position here but being extremely hands on in order to pry him away from Smart of that does happen.

OC/QB - Tyson Helton
OL - Neil Callaway
RB/Rec. Coordinator - Brian McClendon
WR - Kevin Beard
TE - As good as Scott has been with the TE's I can see him taking a bigger role somewhere else.

KB should be the only one retained. Sorry Ice!

That would be one **** of an offensive staff especially with the talent and weapons we have.

I'd be interested to see who he brings in on the defensive side. Pruitt won't be here, probably going to Bama or Auburn if Muschamp goes somewhere else. Brian Van Gorder (ex-DC under Richt) would be amazing but he wouldn't leave ND to come here for less $. Maybe reach out to Winston Moss and see if he's willing to try DC? Randy Shannon? Not really sure what coaches he's got connections with on this side but he's made some pretty good hires in the past.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bmac was one of two assistant coaches who were not pulled off the recruiting trail. Due to the NCAA guidelines, that information leads me to believe he's staying. Smart might've been told bmac must be retained

Guessing assistants will be impossible.

OC and DC are doable though.

I think richt will call the o. Have a figure head OC like Coley implement what richt wants

Richt has publicly stated a few times that he wants to be more hands on and run the offense. Not sure he brings in an OC that would be a big name to do so.

Richt is also the biggest coaching name out there at the time so I'm sure the admin would have no problem letting him do so

Bmac was one of two assistant coaches who were not pulled off the recruiting trail. Due to the NCAA guidelines, that information leads me to believe he's staying. Smart might've been told bmac must be retained

That's extremely disappointing. The guy would be a savage down here with the local high schools. The Michel's and Cook's end up staying if he's here. It looked like he took on some more responsibilities this past season (passing game coordinator). I could see him jumping to OC somewhere very soon.

Advertisement
Helton is supposed to be Smart's OC, unless he hires Billy Napier.

My chief concern with Richt is who will be on his staff.

He's been at UGA for 15 years. And he was planning on changing jobs this year.

Richt has publicly stated a few times that he wants to be more hands on and run the offense. Not sure he brings in an OC that would be a big name to do so.

Richt is also the biggest coaching name out there at the time so I'm sure the admin would have no problem letting him do so

Yeah I doubt the admin is handcuffing him in any way shape or form. In order to get him you essentially have to give him whatever he wants. I just think that Helton would be such a homerun hire, if it's a possibility to get him here then you do it.

Advertisement
Helton is in the mix for OC at UGA.

Helton will get a HC job soon so for him I'm sure his priorities are "what program will get me a HC job asap?" and "where can I get paid the most?".

If he comes to Miami he's got Kaaya and stability at HC with Richt. Richt's previous OC also got a HC job at Colorado State last year. If we're serious about committing to the program then we can at least get relatively close to UGA in terms of salary.

At UGA, you've got an unknown commodity in Smart as a HC. Studs at RB but does Lambert progress? They'll definitely be able to offer more $$$ but if we can get in the ballpark then Miami just makes more sense.

Not gunna lie, I still want Ken Dorsey as OC.
I'd prefer to have Butch as HC, and Richt as OC/QB. but whatever.
At this point I'm happy with either Butch or Richt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back