What will the D look like?

proxy.php

Well put my friend, well put

Advertisement
Willis has been tearing it up it seems, and I thought he was taking most of his snaps at end. Maybe I'm wrong. But if I'm not, then I feel a whole lot better about plugging a guy like that in, not to mention Jackson et al.

Willis has been tearing it up it seems, and I thought he was taking most of his snaps at end. Maybe I'm wrong. But if I'm not, then I feel a whole lot better about plugging a guy like that in, not to mention Jackson et al.

His snaps are mostly inside.

D-Jax was mostly behind Chad Thomas, as far as I know. Harris was playing behind AQM. I imagine some of that will be switched now. It also brings Joseph Jackson, who was seemingly running #3 behind AQM/Harris into the picture. Jackson can, at best, serve as a situational guy and I pray we don't have to count on him yet. He looks like a future star, but it's way too early. My guess is we'll see Harris/D-Jax step into the AQM role.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bullying tactics. That's my expectation. Waves of forced pressure, particularly off the edge.

That can overwhelm outmatched foes, and lead to foolish projections of "best..." and "Top 5..."

Smart formidable offenses can calmly parry a bully attack. The good news is our conference is currently in short supply of that type of offense, due to first year quarterbacks and other issues.

Overall it's going to be a wonderfully refreshing switch. I'm more than willing to live with the inevitable bizarre overreactions, like the ones that followed that competitive loss to Florida in early 2008. Texas A&M a week later was apparently unimpressed, and an easy investment.

I have checked many recent threads, notably one touting our defensive tackles as excellent as a block. Call me skeptical. I prefer a big picture overview as opposed to evaluating every variable in itself. Since consensus every recent season is that we have failed at defensive tackle recruiting it simply makes zero sense that suddenly it is a stalwart position. I greatly respect the OP of that thread but I'll point out the same poster had a thread last spring touting a greatly improved Michael Wyche. Most likely we simply need to wait at this position, for Richt to restore the talent level we are accustomed to and deserve. Once recruits see an upfield style the signatures should follow. But right now I see beasts going to places like Michigan while we are mostly relying on holdovers and a new position coach. At least the holdovers are indeed a step up from the likes of Heurtelou and Wyche.

Too bad about Grace. I trusted Grace. Smart and fluid. In some games it was hopeless, like Clemson and North Carolina. In other spots, like first half at Florida Atlantic, the defensive was stumbling but at least there was reason to pay attention, to count on someone. I always turned to Grace and he generally delivered. Now I don't know who that guy will be.

Advertisement
Back