What will be our identity on offense?

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Now that Malik Rosier has been named the starting QB, let's discuss the what our identity on offense will be. We know Richt wants to run an RPO type offense but what can we look forward to in terms of personnel, formations and run/pass mix.

We know that Mark Walton will be an integral part of what we do offensively but I do not want to see us in tight run heavy formations. We don't have the type of personnel to be playing in a phone booth. I think this offense will be at it's best when we spread out the defense.

I would expect to see a ton of 3WR sets with a good amount of 4WR as well. I expect to see an efficient quick passing game to open up the run game.

Walton's natural receiving ability should give Richt plenty of flexibility in terms of formation and playcalling. We could line up with Walton and Homer or Walton/Dallas in the backfield and motion one of them into the slot.

I think we should consistently be able to find mismatches against most defenses given the number of viable targets in the passing game and the versatility of Walton, Dallas, Homer and Herndon(TE, HB).

It will be very risky for opposing defenses to sell out against the run with Richards, Herndon, Berrios and Cager as targets. The wildcards here are what we can get from Harley, Dallas and Thomas. Just having the ability to threaten the defense vertically with the pure speed and big play potential of Harley and Thomas will give this offense yet another dimension and force the defense to account for the entire field opening things up for Richards, Herndon, Cager and the running game.

So to sum it up, this offense has the all the peices to be efficient yet explosive while threatening the defense at every level. I think we should be a base 3WR offense with some 4WR mixed in and this will allow Walton and Homer to be the most effective. I believe Rosier's maturity, leadership and athleticism will open up this offense more than most of us could have expected. Just a gut feeling but I think Rosier could be a surprise on a national level. We will see soon enough.

I'm not as X's and O's saavy as many of you so I'll leave it to LuCane, ghost and others to give us a clinic in terms of probable formations, personnel groupings etc..... Discuss...

Advertisement
Hoping to see some pistol formation to set up play-action. Rosier seems to thrive on bootlegs.

Hoping to see some pistol formation to set up play-action. Rosier seems to thrive on bootlegs.

I always enjoyed watching Elway back in the day running the naked bootleg. While we're at it, why not bring back a little shuffle pass action?

Advertisement
bare.jpg

I always enjoyed watching Elway back in the day running the naked bootleg. While we're at it, why not bring back a little shuffle pass action?

Would like to see a shuffle pass to Dallas for a touchdown this season.

edit: shovel pass

edit II: shuttle pass

edit III: shuttlecock

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

edit III: shuttle****

I'm actually looking forward to a jet sweep to Dee Jay Dallas to turn into a TD pass to a streaking Jeff Thomas.

I bet we see that at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually looking forward to a jet sweep to Dee Jay Dallas to turn into a TD pass to a streaking Jeff Thomas.

I bet we see that at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet we see that at least once during every game.

Advertisement

My dad always called it a shovel pass. I just assumed he was an idiot.

I've heard it called shovel, shuttle, and shuffle pass by different announcers. It's real name is a shovel pass, which incidentally is also a type of screen pass

I've heard it called shovel, shuttle, and shuffle pass by different announcers. It's real name is a shovel pass, which incidentally is also a type of screen pass

Well now I don't know what to call it because I KNOW sports announcers are idiots.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back