What we’re hearing about Miami Hurricanes players and which have impressed the most

CarolCityHigh

Freshman
The most impressive freshmen? We keep hearing the same names: running backs Jaylon Knighton and Don Chaney Jr., receiver Xavier Restrepo and safety Brian Balom. And receiver Michael Redding has come on very strong in the past week."

" Defensive coordinator Blake Baker has cited linebacker Corey Flagg Jr., Balom, cornerback Isaiah Dunson and defensive lineman Elijah Roberts as the most impressive freshmen on his side of the ball. "

Advertisement
Advertisement
Elijah Roberts is gonna be a monster! He reminds me of a R.Mccintosh type at 3-tech with a little more twitchiness to his game.
That is the same way I see him plus Roberts is a significantly better overall athlete and a more gifted natural pass rusher.

One of the things that I find most exciting about our program right now is the depth we are building. Right now that depth is excellent across the DL. Let's take a quick look of what is yet to come....

Elijah Roberts
Chanz Williams
Cam Williams
Quinten Williams
Leonard Taylor
Jared Harrison Hunte
Jafari Harvey
Jabari Ishmael
Thomas Davis
Savion Collins

This my friends, is the future of the defensive line!

All coming soon to a quarterback near you!

The most impressive freshmen? We keep hearing the same names: running backs Jaylon Knighton and Don Chaney Jr., receiver Xavier Restrepo and safety Brian Balom. And receiver Michael Redding has come on very strong in the past week."

" Defensive coordinator Blake Baker has cited linebacker Corey Flagg Jr., Balom, cornerback Isaiah Dunson and defensive lineman Elijah Roberts as the most impressive freshmen on his side of the ball. "

I love hearing the names of Chaney and Knighton thrown around by the coaches in terms of who is impressing. When I think of those 2 kids I really do not think of them as typical true freshmen. They seem to be no b.s. hard working types who are mature beyond their years. They also happen to be tremendously talented and elite level prospects. I see both getting after it hard right from the jump and I see the entire RB group being an explosive and very productive part of this offense.

I am downplaying the fact that Chaney and Knighton are true freshmen with no college experience for one important reason and that is our new offense under Rhett Lashlee. This is the type of offense we should have gone to years ago. I think that the nature of this offense is geared towards letting the players use their natural ability to make plays instead of thinking too much about their assignments on any given play in any given formation. Lashlee has been able to construct a potent multifaceted uptempo offense built around emphasizing the playmaking abilities of each player. This makes it much easier for young players to show their skills and develop them early. This as opposed to the approach used by Dumb ****(Dan Enos) where freshman and sophomores are literally so bogged down in learning the fine details of some ridiculously complex system that when they do get out on the field they can't function due to paralasis by analysis. All those years of having good talent rot on the bench because they "weren't ready" or "didn't know the system well enough" while watching young players all over the country making great play after great play and showcasing their playmaking abilities from the get. Feels great to finally trade in that Blockbuster card and beat up VCR for the latest smartphone with a Netflix account.**

**= Credit to k9(Steve Kim)

Last edited:
That is the same way I see him plus Roberts is a significantly better overall athlete and a more gifted natural pass rusher.

One of the things that I find most exciting about our program right now is the depth we are building. Right now that depth is excellent across the DL. Let's take a quick look of what is yet to come....

Elijah Roberts
Chanz Williams
Cam Williams
Quinten Williams
Leonard Taylor
Jared Harrison Hunte
Jafari Harvey
Jabari Ishmael
Thomas Davis
Savion Collins

Yikes 😮😮

Advertisement
Though I am thrilled with the recruiting and talent levels, my real concern remains to be seen, the OL. Though I believe we'll be significantly better, can they hold off top DLines like clemson, ga, baga and osu?

I love hearing the names of Chaney and Knighton thrown around by the coaches in terms of who is impressing. When I think of those 2 kids I really do not think of them as typical true freshmen. They seem to be no b.s. hard working types who are mature beyond their years. They also happen to be tremendously talented and elite level prospects. I see both getting after it hard right from the jump and I see the entire RB group being an explosive and very productive part of this offense.

I am downplaying the fact that Chaney and Knighton are true freshmen with no college experience for one important reason and that is our new offense under Rhett Lashlee. This is the type of offense we should have gone to years ago. I think that the nature of this offense is geared towards letting the players use their natural ability to make plays instead of thinking too much about their assignments on any given play in any given formation. Lashlee has been able to construct a potent multifaceted uptempo offense built around emphasizing the playmaking abilities of each player. This makes it much easier for young players to show their skills and develop them early. This as opposed to the approach used by Dumb ****(Dan Enos) where freshman and sophomores are literally so bogged down in learning the fine details of some ridiculously complex system that when they do get out on the field they can't function due to paralasis by analysis. All those years of having good talent rot on the bench because they "weren't ready" or "didn't know the system well enough" while watching young players all over the country making great play after great play and showcasing their playmaking abilities from the get. Feels great to finally trade in that Blockbuster card and beat up VCR for the latest smartphone with a Netflix account.**

This, you only have these kids for so many hours in college. Things can't be too complicated.

Advertisement

Hearing from some pretty smart guys that know talent when they see it that Knighton is a home run hitter, big play threat every time he gets a touch.

Advertisement

Elijah Roberts
Chanz Williams
Cam Williams
Quinten Williams
Leonard Taylor
Jared Harrison Hunte
Jafari Harvey
Jabari Ishmael
Thomas Davis
Savion Collins

If Roberts is a significantly better athlete than RJ, then he’s a 1st rounder. RJ was insanely agile as a basketball player in high school playing at 6’4” 270 lb, and had that impressive fumble return against VT.

Though I am thrilled with the recruiting and talent levels, my real concern remains to be seen, the OL. Though I believe we'll be significantly better, can they hold off top DLines like clemson, ga, baga and osu?
They will be significantly better...that's all we can ask. Can't expect them to suddenly become top caliber. However, we're recruiting well there now, and have an OL coach who seems to be the right man for the job. The OL future is bright.

The real question is how will his OL do in protecting him to allow him to use his talents. King can still be amazing, but if we have the same OL play, we won't see that greatness in GameDay.

Unless King is more athletic than the guys who are chasing him.

Was Lamar Jackson's line at Louisville akin to the 93 Cowboys? D'Eriq King scored 50 TDs in 2018, I think he had 1 NFL OL (Josh Jones) and he was a 3rd round pick.

Your point is valid, he obviously needs some help up front. But this is not Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams we're talking about here. This kid has returned a KICKOFF for a TD in his career. He's a ridiculous athlete.

Unless King is more athletic than the guys who are chasing him.

Was Lamar Jackson's line at Louisville akin to the 93 Cowboys? D'Eriq King scored 50 TDs in 2018, I think he had 1 NFL OL (Josh Jones) and he was a 3rd round pick.

Your point is valid, he obviously needs some help up front. But this is not Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams we're talking about here. This kid has returned a KICKOFF for a TD in his career. He's a ridiculous athlete.
Also, the scheme makes a world of difference. Our OL was set up to fail last year. A bunch of young, inexperienced linemen asked to play in a compressed space and hold blocks long enough to allow slow-developing plays to occur. Even our running plays were often slow-developing delayed handoffs. Spreading out the offense and having quick hitting plays, which seems like what Lashlee will be calling, would make a big difference in the line's effectiveness even if the individual players didn't get any better during the offseason.

Advertisement
Back