Coaching What to expect now that Mario is back?

imurcane

Banned
Banned
Mario has stated the Canes are going to work, work, work to be better on and off the field. I expect that now.

What a time to be apart of the Cane Family. There is support from A to Z. If you think about how long suffering we have been as Canes fans, now we get to appreciate the positive influences and differences that Mario has brought back to the U. The proof is in the pudding right? Mario, respectfully, the Mario we have today with today's support/environment and all of Mario's experiences would have gotten more out of the talent that has come through the past two decades under the other regimes. It really couldn't have happened at any other time either. Because I believe Mario will get more out of what he has I am optimistic about this year. What is an expectation you have for our Canes?

Advertisement
friends sleep GIF

One thing I expect is for the head scratching losses to mostly go away due to inconsistent performance.

It seemed like our last few coaches did not know which team was going to show up on Saturday and sometimes we'd come out guns blazing and blow out a pretty good team and sometimes we'd come out flat and be in a dogfight with a terrible team only to squeak it out or still lose in the end. I expect Mario to have his teams consistently performing at the talent level on the team which means we should win most of our ACC games pretty easily instead of going into a Duke or GT game and wondering "is this the one where we flop?" I'd expect to get to Clemson's level in the ACC pretty quickly where there's like 6 guaranteed conference wins on the schedule every year and only 1 or 2 dogfights.

Edit to clarify: I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about once he has the roster situated right.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing I expect is for the head scratching losses to mostly go away due to inconsistent performance.

It seemed like our last few coaches did not know which team was going to show up on Saturday and sometimes we'd come out guns blazing and blow out a pretty good team and sometimes we'd come out flat and be in a dogfight with a terrible team only to squeak it out or still lose in the end. I expect Mario to have his teams consistently performing at the talent level on the team which means we should win most of our ACC games pretty easily instead of going into a Duke or GT game and wondering "is this the one where we flop?" I'd expect to get to Clemson's level in the ACC pretty quickly where there's like 6 guaranteed conference wins on the schedule every year and only 1 or 2 dogfights.
Oregon fans might disagree.

Let's slow down a little...take a look at a few 2021 Oregon head scratching games:
Lost on the road to a pathetic Stanford team...(3-9)
Barely beat a 5-7 Cal team by 7.
Beat a 4-8 Washington team by 10

Point is Mario and his staff is good. Really good. But this team has holes and uncertainty at certain positions. As fans, many of us expect a very good upcoming season. Perhaps for me, it's shaking off 20 years of disappointment from my mind season after season...I'm hopeful though. Go Canes!!

Let's slow down a little...take a look at a few 2021 Oregon head scratching games:

Point is Mario and his staff is good. Really good. But this team has holes and uncertainty at certain positions. As fans, many of us expect a very good upcoming season. Perhaps for me, it's shaking off 20 years of disappointment from my mind season after season...I'm hopeful though. Go Canes!!
I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about over time due to his consistency and his constant focus on culture and high expectations.

A major sign of a championship team is consistency.

Just going off what he has accomplished here so far I expect a consistent winning team above average with the talent and ability to dominate at times when all cylinders are clicking.
Having said that you cannot ignore some of the head scratches at Oregon that others here have pointed to, which is valid. I believe some of those Oregon head scratches are due to the coaches/coordinators around him. So my hope is that he finally amasses the coaching around him to avoid those scratches and become the consistent dominant team he is capable of leading. All we can do is wait for the evidence to clarify the picture.
I am a realist, yet optimistic. I will be hopeful and excited, but won't let myself be disappointed.

Advertisement

I wonder for the losses you mentioned, what could Mario have done to fix the problem(s)?

Lots of projection here.

Entirely different personnel. Location. Resources. Players. Coaches. Opponents. Weather. Time Zone. Geologic EM Fields. Personnel Stacks. Talent Stacks. Personnel Needs. Skill Needs. Support Needs. Staffing Needs. Geologic Rate of Rotation. Individual Facilities. Team Facilities. Staff Facilities.

The list of variables is infinite.

And those variables are in a constant state of change. There is no Steady State in College Football.

It doesn't matter who beat who by six points last year - or who shared a common opponent and had different results - even as games were played on different days, even different months - and nothing else changed. Everything changes.

Let's just trot them out and see how they run.

With improved coaching staff, and new additions at some really sorry-assed needs from last year - the only projection I can logically come to is that we should - emphasis on SHOULD - be improved over last season's performance.

Maybe a little improvement - but maybe a LOT.

That's why we play the games.

Advertisement
Accountability and setting the expectation.
Two areas we’ve been sorely lacking for a long time.
I also think the addition of some of the assistants will pay big dividends as well.
Surround yourself with people that complement your skill set.

Advertisement
Lots of projection here.

Entirely different personnel. Location. Resources. Players. Coaches. Opponents. Weather. Time Zone. Geologic EM Fields. Personnel Stacks. Talent Stacks. Personnel Needs. Skill Needs. Support Needs. Staffing Needs. Geologic Rate of Rotation. Individual Facilities. Team Facilities. Staff Facilities.

The list of variables is infinite.

And those variables are in a constant state of change. There is no Steady State in College Football.

It doesn't matter who beat who by six points last year - or who shared a common opponent and had different results - even as games were played on different days, even different months - and nothing else changed. Everything changes.

Let's just trot them out and see how they run.

With improved coaching staff, and new additions at some really sorry-assed needs from last year - the only projection I can logically come to is that we should - emphasis on SHOULD - be improved over last season's performance.

Maybe a little improvement - but maybe a LOT.

That's why we play the games.
But…if I can’t engage in wild speculation about our record 3 years from now, what will I do with my life? And how can you say the Transitive Postulate of Football Success isn’t accurate? It’s math.

I like the intensity of the practices and general attitude of responsibility taken on by the team leaders. Hope it shows in improved grasp of fundamentals, defensive players tacking and WR's catching balls. Does seem like guys are legitimately working hard to improve.

Advertisement
Back