What strikes me...

doctaj11

Freshman
is the fact that I haven't seen any (to the best of my memory, which is not good) delay of game penalties called on us with Perry at the helm. In my opinion, that is pretty remarkable given the fact that he is a redshirt freshman. It's really nice he is getting the calls in and getting the team organized on offense.

Advertisement
is the fact that I haven't seen any (to the best of my memory, which is not good) delay of game penalties called on us with Perry at the helm. In my opinion, that is pretty remarkable given the fact that he is a redshirt freshman. It's really nice he is getting the calls in and getting the team organized on offense.
Even with Rosier I don’t recall one. There was 1 delay of game on a punt I believe this year. Nice job by the staff and Rosier and Perry not having mental mistakes like that. Gotta do the little things if you want to get back to elite status as a team.

One of the reasons with perry why that hasnt happened is because he moves the sticks more often and even than he's hustling the offense up to the line. What does stand out is perry has a more dominant mindset and understands the way the game is suppose to be played, he plays with a sense of urgency and consistently wants points no matter what the score is, whereas with rosier, he rarely has ever played with a sense of urgency no matter what the score is, which is the main thing that irritated me about him, we losing games by 10 or more points in the fourth quarter, and rosier was still slow draggin. But with perry, after first downs or big plays, he in "LET'S GO" mode damyum near every time.

Advertisement

If we get a delay of game penalty this week you're banned for a month. Rules are rules.

You are correct, but during the North Carolina game we took the clock to 1 second a bunch of times, but never under!! Great timing, I would rather we hike at 3 seconds or so to be safe.

.....in the UNC game, I think they were up against a DOG penalty but was forced to call a TO.

Advertisement
Perry has been close a couple times. But the last 2 years we haven’t had many procedure mistakes at all. Gotta credit Richt for giving playcalls ready for any situation

When all u have to decide between is 4 plays, there really isn’t any reason at all to get a delay penalty.

Advertisement
Penalties are down over all under Richt and Co. It's obviously been a huge focus of the current staff. The year before he arrived we were dead last in penalties per game.

2015: 9.8 penalties per game.
2016: 7.1 penalties per game.
2017: 5.1 penalties per game.
2018: 5.0 penalties per game.

And we are still trending down in that department, although the average so far is almost the same as last season. The reason for that is that we committed 11 of our 25 penalties so far this season against LSU. In the four games since, we are averaging 3.5 penalties--which would be good enough for 4th in the nation.

Not only are penalties the hidden yardage that can cost you a game you otherwise could have won, they stall drives on offense and extend drives for our opponents. Little things matter. When talent is equal, winning and losing tends to boil down to which team does these little things better.

With the defense holding opponents 0 or less yardage on nearly 40% of their snaps and forcing so many turnovers, the coaching staff cutting our rate of penalties by half...if we ever correct our special teams hidden yardage deficit, we might never lose another game.

Advertisement
Back