What on earth is the rule

jackedaround

Junior
Are you telling me a post possession change penalty offsets a pre possession change penalty?

How can a block in the back after an int offset a pre int hold. Someone tell me I am crazy but if this is the rule it's one of the dumbest I've ever seen.

Advertisement
I don't think it's a rule. I think the ACC refs got it wrong. My brother and I were watching the game, and both perplexed as to what the refs were doing. After the change of possession, we should have penalized 15 yards from where the runner (Williams) was at the time when the spot of the foul occurred.

Sounded like the refs realized they were incorrect and just decided to make something up to end the half to avoid further embarrassment.

Advertisement
Someone in the game thread pulled it up and the ACC refs of course got it wrong.. We were supposed to get the ball and be penalized by walking the yards back.. They had screenshot of rule in game thread, not sure if it was here or wez

Seems we get a weekly “WTF are they thinking” call by the ACC crews

That’s on quality and expectations by the conference… flat out embarrassing.

Its been beat to death but leaving this crap conference must be orchestrated

Are you telling me a post possession change penalty offsets a pre possession change penalty?

How can a block in the back after an int offset a pre int hold. Someone tell me I am crazy but if this is the rule it's one of the dumbest I've ever seen.

Interestingly, the guys who officiate college football games for additional income in the Atlantic Coast Conference did not know the rules of football as well as a group of lawyers, engineers, construction workers, accountants, and retail sales people in the game chat.

It was not offsetting because teams are allowed to decline the penalty. So by UM declining the holding penalty, the play stood. It would have been a penalty against the Canes from the dead ball spot had their been time left on the clock, since there was not, it was halftime.

Advertisement
Interestingly, the guys who officiate college football games for additional income in the Atlantic Coast Conference did not know the rules of football as well as a group of lawyers, engineers, construction workers, accountants, and retail sales people in the game chat.

It was not offsetting because teams are allowed to decline the penalty. So by UM declining the holding penalty, the play stood. It would have been a penalty against the Canes from the dead ball spot had their been time left on the clock, since there was not, it was halftime.
Yes basically this, but the blindside block can also be declined by the BC coach which means the play should have stood and it was an INT with no time left at midfield. If the BC coach accpeted the blindside it would have been miami ball at like the 35 but it made no sense for the BC coach to accept the play and risk a random freak play

You are 100% correct, where was Mario on the call, he was willing to take it until the review.

I don’t have a rule book but as far as I am aware, both teams had the opportunity to decline each penalty. Obviously Miami would decline the hold. There was no reason for BC to accept the illegal block penalty since the game clock had expired and accepting the penalty would have just given Miami an offensive play before halftime. The whole “off setting” call was definitely wrong.

Not offsetting penalties when one penalty is before change of possession and one after change of possession.

Miami would decline the hold to have INT
BC would decline Blind side block so half is over.

In theory, I think BC could accept the Blind side block but then Miami would get one untimed down (so obviously they wouldn't do that)

Advertisement
To be fair, and maybe I’m not remembering correctly, didn’t the refs take back that they were offsetting penalties? They initially called offsetting penalties, then after a conversation realized the error, and then both coaches declined the penalties. End of half. Done.

To be fair, and maybe I’m not remembering correctly, didn’t the refs take back that they were offsetting penalties? They initially called offsetting penalties, then after a conversation realized the error, and then both coaches declined the penalties. End of half. Done.
You are correct.

Yes, that’s what I thought happened as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back