What is your preferred non-conference schedule?

My two cents ...

I want Florida at home in odd-numbered years, away in even-numbered years, i.e. opposite of our longstanding rotation with Florida State. Anchor the UF series in Week 2 each season.

We really need home-and-home series with both of our in-state rivals, regardless of current or future conference affiliations. Either the Gayturds or Semenholes should be locked into Miami's home schedule EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Getting Priority No. 1 out of the way, I like playing Notre Dame with the occasional home-and-home (four games in nine seasons from 2016 through 2025 seems about right). Really looking forward to those clowns getting a Dade beatdown in November.

I also would like to see a future one-off home-and-homes with Nebraska and Penn State just because of our storied/infamous history together.

A one-shot USC or UCLA home-and-home series would be beneficial as well in helping maintain UM's visibility as a truly national program.

I wouldn't be opposed to home-and-homes with UCF and USF, although NOT on a regular-enough basis to establish any kind of rivalry. That would be a slippery slope and could chip away at our place in the Sunshine State's "Big Three" mystique.

I have no problem with a home opener against FIU or FAU every now and then. They are likely cemented as D-I bottom feeders in a dead-end conference.

One thing I do not want are neutral-site "Kickoff Classics" in non-college stadiums (although I can accept playing chicken**** UF at the Citrus Bowl in 2019 because that's the only way we can get them on the schedule at this point).

Those neutral-site games will always be stacked against the Canes because of our smallish fan base and Miami's geographical distance from any sort of central location. Alabama in Atlanta or Texas in Dallas? No thanks.

Advertisement
Agree on the "Kick-Off Classics". Our game against LSU in 2018 is not neutral. Tons of LSU folks in Texas. Also not that bad of a drive from LSU to North Texas.

UF/ND/*/Bamer every year.

FSU cross over

Throw the Dolphins in for a end of summer tune up game.

Dominate.

There's no reason to play at USF/UCF in my opinion, similar to App State this year.

Advertisement
My two cents ...

I want Florida at home in odd-numbered years, away in even-numbered years, i.e. opposite of our longstanding rotation with Florida State. Anchor the UF series in Week 2 each season.

We really need home-and-home series with both of our in-state rivals, regardless of current or future conference affiliations. Either the Gayturds or Semenholes should be locked into Miami's home schedule EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Getting Priority No. 1 out of the way, I like playing Notre Dame with the occasional home-and-home (four games in nine seasons from 2016 through 2025 seems about right). Really looking forward to those clowns getting a Dade beatdown in November.

I also would like to see a future one-off home-and-homes with Nebraska and Penn State just because of our storied/infamous history together.

A one-shot USC or UCLA home-and-home series would be beneficial as well in helping maintain UM's visibility as a truly national program.

I wouldn't be opposed to home-and-homes with UCF and USF, although NOT on a regular-enough basis to establish any kind of rivalry. That would be a slippery slope and could chip away at our place in the Sunshine State's "Big Three" mystique.

I have no problem with a home opener against FIU or FAU every now and then. They are likely cemented as D-I bottom feeders in a dead-end conference.

One thing I do not want are neutral-site "Kickoff Classics" in non-college stadiums (although I can accept playing chicken**** UF at the Citrus Bowl in 2019 because that's the only way we can get them on the schedule at this point).

Those neutral-site games will always be stacked against the Canes because of our smallish fan base and Miami's geographical distance from any sort of central location. Alabama in Atlanta or Texas in Dallas? No thanks.

Correct.

Have them come and play a "neutral site" game in Orlando.

Let's see how that boils over.

FOOH.

There's no reason to play at USF/UCF in my opinion, similar to App State this year.

There is a reason to play local schools, you smash them and keep them down by dominating them on the field. Don't give them the marketing advantage of "Miami won't play us for a reason", plus it's a game that no matter where it is played, is a glorified home game. The perfect Miami OOC schedule should be as such

1 Tuneup Game(Either a lower tier FBS program, or a local FCS program)
1 Big Name Opponent(Be it Nebraska, Penn State, whomever, just have someone with cache)
1-2 Challenge Games(This is where you fit in programs like USF, maybe an up and coming midmajor like Houston)

Tampa and Orlando (and Jacksonville, too) are good secondary recruiting grounds for the Canes — plus we do have SOME support there (as opposed to the sticks of western North Carolina).

Playing at Appy State = playing at FAU/FIU. Not smart.

USF and UCF fans could fill 4-5K seats for a September game at JRS if they actually have a team worth a **** that year.

As long as we schedule a major program i'm cool. Gators are out of our control because they don't want it. I'm happy to see us playing LSU,Mich State, A&M in the upcoming years

Advertisement
I think the goal is to play a decent OOC school each year. It's almost guaranteed we are gonna play a FCS school and small FBS school every year

Ideally I think we have 2 P5 NonCon games/yr

So 1st we play UF every other year, so on a 4 year schedule we get them at home at least once. Any way we'd get UF on the schedule on any type of regular basis is either neutral games or setup so that UF,FSU,and US are never away for both games. ex) UF @ FSU, FSU @ Miami, Miami @ UF. Then when we don't have UF on schedule we either play a neutral site game (like we're doing for LSU) or set up home-away series vs SEC team or Florida team.

2nd P5 game is just whoever. We already got MSU, TAMU, etc under contract. I'd like to see us play in Georgia and Texas also. Don't think we should be traveling all the way to Cali, but a game vs USC would be hard to turn down.

The rest should be home games vs teams in florida.

We definitely need to avoid these home-away series with crappy schools like toledo. Even making it so we get 2 home games for every 1 road game vs schools like that would be fine.

i like home-and-homes with big programs in strategic locations to assist with recruiting. ND helps with the midwest, but having a USC/UCLA/Washington to have exposure out west would be pretty cool.

Advertisement
Getting Fla. on the sched. would be the highest priority.,....once they were on, don't feel the need to have another SEC team and would prefer to play in some of the fertile recruiting areas....rotate games in Cali, Texas and the Midwest.....if we can't get Fla....then USF to raise our profile in that part of the state.

1. FCS to start the year- suspended offseason players miss meaningless game
2. Average FBS school - start to ramp up for the hard OOC team
3. Hard power 5 school
4. Easy FBS school(FAU type) always home, basically a bye week before conference play starts
No Thursday night road games, unless after the bye week
Bye week b4 FSU if possible

Last edited:
Neutral site games are garbage. Home and Home, is the only way to go. having both an SEC and a Big10 game every season would be nice. Love to get Michigan home and home.

Advertisement
I don't even care to play the Gators every year anymore. I'd rather keep that open and play other P5 schools. Which can be used as a common opponent measuring stick vs schools in other conference once we are back in the playoff hunt every year.

Gators every year should be the top priority. I don't think the younger fans have any clue toward the level of shared hatred during those games, particularly late '70s and early '80s. It dwarfed anything else I've experienced.

I have to laugh every time I see a T-shirt saying "I root for the Canes and whoever is playing Florida State." Talk about prioritizing the junior varsity rivalry.

It can be done only if Florida switches the Georgia game to true home and home, which isn't going to happen since 1) the Gators are wimps 2) they know Jacksonville is a semi-home game that Georgia somehow accepts as a neutral site, and 3) the Gators are wimps.

I prefer the '60s through late '80s mode of bluebloods throughout the schedule. Play Florida State and Penn State back to back on the road, a la 1992.

If you're good enough it will work out, like falling dominoes, and the credit overflows.

The one thing I don't want is a home patsy opener followed by a road game against a premier foe a week later. That is mind boggling situational ignorance. There is no way to grasp the mental and physical overconfidence and lull that is almost certain to attach to that second game. You're far better off to play nobody the first week, or play another tough team. As soon as I saw that 2000 schedule I knew it was moronic. I ranted on several sites before the game. I'm still steamed about it. That Canes team deserved far better. As a USC alum I've been to Husky Stadium many times.

Recruiting strategy is ridiculous. You're talking about tug of war with how many kids per year in those areas, maybe 1 or 2 tops? Then even if you get them you have no idea if the game itself made any difference at all. More often than not you get nobody.

Advertisement
Back