What is your OP

If we had recruited the QB position at an elite level after Dorsey left would that have made up for the incompetent coaches we've gone through or would we still have sucked A ZZ?
No. Much *** would have been sucked still.

QB hasn't been problem in not reaching 10 W seasons.

Advertisement
No. Each facet our program took turns ******** up. The offensive line...the defensive line...the quarterbacks...wrs who couldn't catch and kickers who couldn't kick.

We've had terrible head coaches, coordinators and assistant coaches.

D'no arguably, is the worst DC I've ever seen. He inexplicably made Diaz look like a genius because he understood like we all have how to utilize our athletes; in an attacking 4-3 defense.

If I could point to one thing in particular royally ******** up our program, it was Coker in the mid 2000's firing some quality assisstant coaches to save his job.

That set us back even further than the Shapiro thing.

Not a Diaz guy, but he's making the right kind of moves. If Golden fired D'no and hired Diaz, for all we know he still might be our head coach, and we would've beat Dalvin Cook at least once, lol.

So you're going to nitpick one thing in my post, one OC out of a dozen?

Nix came in with a decent prior reputation, he had a better chance than most of those other guys to recruit a good QB (and the theme of the thread is QB recruiting). Nix landed Robert Marve right after he was hired, and he landed THREE quarterbacks (including Jacory Harris) in his second year. That is two consecutive Mr. Football (Florida) winners. The only other Mr. Football winners who have signed with UM were Jammi German and Duke Johnson.

And, yes, Nix's OC stats coulda/woulda/shoulda been a lot better. We went 5-7 in 2007, and outside of the 4 losses to ranked teams, we lost 3 winnable games (at UNC by 6, GaTech by 3, and NC State by 3 in OT). 2007 was a year that we went back and forth between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman (though Kirby got us the win at F$U). We went 7-6 in 2008, but we should have won home games against UNC (lost by 4) and F$U (lost by 2).

I agree, Nix's on-field stats were not very good, but his recruiting of QBs was top-notch, so we have to balance out those traits and just give him an "OK" assessment.

How can we forget how great his recruting was of legends like jacory 5 pick harris and robert car crash transfer mavre.

Chud left after 2003.

We made Dan Werner OC. Did not work out. Then, after 2 bad Werner years, Coker tried to bring in his buddy Todd Berry. Which UM vetoed, so we rehired Rich Olson for a year, which also did not work out.

Nix was OK, though it woiuld have been nice if his son was about 12 years older and could have signed with Miami.

Whipple was OK (and I think we did sign his son).

Fisch was probably the best OC we've had since Chud.

James Coley and Thomas Brown were not good.

Enos was an unmitigated disaster.

Yes, I would love to recruit the QB position at an elite level, but that rogue's gallery of OCs is not exactly a ringing endorsement for great QBs to come to the U.
Fisch is an enigma in the coaching ranks to me. Always seemed on the cusp of becoming something, but it never materialized He presently finds himself with New England in an unnamed role. What a crazy resume!

• 1997 — P. K. Yonge Developmental Research School Gainesville (high school): Defensive coordinator
  • 1998 — New Jersey Red Dogs (Arena League): Wide receivers/Quality control
  • 1999-00 — Florida Gators: Graduate assistant
  • 2001-03 — Houston Texans: Defensive quality control
  • 2004-07 — Baltimore Ravens: Assistant quarterbacks/Assistant wide receivers
  • 2008 — Denver Broncos: Wide receivers
  • 2009 — Minnesota Golden Gophers: Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks
  • 2010 — Seattle Seahawks: Quarterbacks
  • 2011-12 — Miami Hurricanes: Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks
  • 2013-14 — Jacksonville Jaguars: Offensive coordinator
  • 2015-16 — Michigan Wolverines: Quarterbacks/Wide receivers/Passing game coordinator
  • 2017 — UCLA Bruins: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Interim head coach
  • 2018-19 — Los Angeles Rams: Senior offensive assistant/Assistant offensive coordinator

Advertisement
Back