What is the earliest point we can expect substantial improvement in the OL?

GojiraCane

All ACC
Notwithstanding other issues on the roster, the play of the offensive line is by far the Achilles heel of the team. Lack of blocking negates the abilities of the running back corp. Lack of pass blocking means that Jarren has no choice to be a dink and dunker, as he has no time to set up long passes. Which in turn negates the talent of the wide receiver corp.

So my question for those of you more in the know is this - whether with this staff or another, what is the earliest that we can see improvement to the OL? Is it reasonable to expect incremental improvement this year, and more noticeable change in 2020 when Zion and the other freshman have had another year in S&C? Or are we looking at a two to three year wait, where a total roster infusion is required before we can even get back to 2015 - 2016 levels of production?

Advertisement
You aren't going to see improvement during the games....not like you are thinking. Sure, gaining experience..the game reps....but not improvement how it needs to be seen. Earliest would be game One of next season.
Until then - this is what we have. It's either scheme around it to the best of your ability or forge ahead with the plan in place and live with the results.

We thought the OL was bad under Rick’s first year with Shane McDoormatt and Linder at center. This year’s version makes that line look like The Hogs.

I don’t care if Zion Nelson and Campbell are freshmen they are awful. I can’t believe this is the best we have it’s amazing.

I highly doubt we see significant OL improvement with the current staff/player combo we have.

With a different OC/OL coach combo, maybe a mediocre OL in 1 season and a decent one on 2.

Advertisement
We are not even scheming around a deficient oline even with their obvious issues. That’s troubling for me

Why would we? The outcome of the game won't change with running a scheme that we don't plan to run in 2021. Enos needs to run his offense regardless of personnel.

Advertisement
Why would we? The outcome of the game won't change with running a scheme that we don't plan to run in 2021. Enos needs to run his offense regardless of personnel.
Are you serious? That's an honest question. Could you explain your position? You are actually saying that Enos shouldn't bother taking his team's weaknesses into account when game planning and calling games? That is the very essence of coaching.

Advertisement
Personally I think the most concerning thing is that going into the year the interior OL actually seemed like somewhat of a strength and to this point it’s underwhelmed somewhat especially Donaldson

Advertisement
When we finally put everything together as a team.

So when Miami gets relegated to HS football

How long will it take to recruit 5 new OL starters that can back up two steps without falling over?

Hire an Air raid HC/OC and with the line splits, we’ll mask half of our problems.

I’m so sick of trying to line up and run people over. We will never have 01 talent again, so stop with the bull**** and bring in an OC/HC that can out scheme our opponents.

Advertisement
Back