What is the date we should start seeing transfers TO teams announced?

TpaBayFlyFisher

World Class Angler
Premium
I know that transfers can happen very late, even after classes start. But, with over 1000 players in the portal, when do you expect significant numbers to commit? Do you think the guys coming to us to announce about then too? I hate waiting!

Advertisement
Portal is a different beast than high school. Impatient people like me now realize Mario can flip kids at the umpteenth hour in HS, but the portal isn’t the same. Kids don’t normally take four or five visits - this is a business decision. They’ve likely been back-channeled prior to entering the portal, and recruitments aren’t drawn out over months. They have their legitimate targets, now they need to be sold on how the coaches will use them, maximize their skillset, and send them to the league. Oh, and financially wined and dined as well.

Once one big fish gets locked down at a position, usually it’s a race for the rest of them. You’ve got schools wanting to close on their top targets asap because if they miss, they can focus on other targets at that position (Miami with QB this weekend, for example). Additionally, teams with multiple positions to address want to move on as quickly as possible from one to the next, so again timing is of the essence. Lastly, if said decision impacts who’s on the current roster (our WRs for example), the timeline will be expedited.

All in all, I’d expect some names to start being locked up by next week (QB and DT). To put an exact date on it would be naïve, and I’m sure it’s a tough game to play because more studs are probably going to enter the portal.

But, it’s fair to assume we might be pivoting to backup options at QB if nothing is locked up by the end of next week. Everything is a constant chess game, I’m sure we’re still trying to coax certain players to hit the portal, just like other schools are. You just don’t want to get left holding your **** in your hand if that player or players don’t enter, and your backup targets have already made their transfer destination known during that process.

Portal is a different beast than high school. Impatient people like me now realize Mario can flip kids at the umpteenth hour in HS, but the portal isn’t the same. Kids don’t normally take four or five visits - this is a business decision. They’ve likely been back-channeled prior to entering the portal, and recruitments aren’t drawn out over months. They have their legitimate targets, now they need to be sold on how the coaches will use them, maximize their skillset, and send them to the league. Oh, and financially wined and dined as well.

Once one big fish gets locked down at a position, usually it’s a race for the rest of them. You’ve got schools wanting to close on their top targets asap because if they miss, they can focus on other targets at that position (Miami with QB this weekend, for example). Additionally, teams with multiple positions to address want to move on as quickly as possible from one to the next, so again timing is of the essence. Lastly, if said decision impacts who’s on the current roster (our WRs for example), the timeline will be expedited.

All in all, I’d expect some names to start being locked up by next week (QB and DT). To put an exact date on it would be naïve, and I’m sure it’s a tough game to play because more studs are probably going to enter the portal.

But, it’s fair to assume we might be pivoting to backup options at QB if nothing is locked up by the end of next week. Everything is a constant chess game, I’m sure we’re still trying to coax certain players to hit the portal, just like other schools are. You just don’t want to get left holding your **** in your hand if that player or players don’t enter, and your backup targets have already made their transfer destination known during that process.
HS you want last visit. Portal first.

The weekend has come and gone, tomorrow will be one week of legal portal shopping, when do we get to celebrate our Hanukkah/Christmas presents?

Advertisement
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back